Fire Emblem,Valkyria Chronicles or Advanced Wars? (Indepth SRPG Discussion)

#11lambchipsPosted 1/21/2013 10:30:14 PM
iLLsteeze posted...
AW doesnt use the rock/paper/scissor triangle.

i havent played AW in a while, but wasnt there certain units that were stronger than others? and others which were stronger than another bunch etc
^ maybe rock, paper scissors isnt the correct term but basically every unit has a weakness against another and you form strategies by exploiting weaknesses
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#12Gamemaster64Posted 1/21/2013 11:31:57 PM
VC is fun though now because no 3 my liking of the series died.

liked FE but not much.

AW I only played DoR and it just I don't know. I guess I'm so use to games like FE it hard for me to play this. 2 unit fight in FE it always be the same results. if 2 unit fight in AW it matters who goes first.

I still wonder if I should get DS. I probably will still get a 3DS version if they make one and brought it over.
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#13TinyTim123Posted 1/21/2013 11:42:56 PM
Semi45a posted...
* I felt it unnecessary to bring other games such as Disgaea, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre because they yet another "kind" of SRPG entirely. As much as I like Disgaea grinding levels and exploits kinda make it garbage sometimes.

Yeah,FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre don't really fit with Disgaea. I agree with you on the grinding... as fun as the first one was, once I hit that part of it in post game... let's just say my PS2 disc of Disgaea 2 never saw use.
But yes, FF Tactics, and Tactics Ogre are more about leveling the jobs kind of thing, and Tactics Ogre is my favorite.

I also liked Advanced Wars on the 3DS, but never got around to finishing it. I dunno why, but I just kinda lost interest.
The only Fire Emblem I've played was I&II on the Super Famicom. I remember really liking it, and it reminding me of Shining Force. I remember resetting every time I lost someone due to carelessness in battle until the very last. I remember going out of my way to get secret character (I had the guide book as well, in Japanese of course). I remember the tough decisions when you could get either one character or the other, but not both. I haven't played the demo, and may just go and buy it without ever touching it, but I may just decide not to buy it at all, too. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Haven't played Valkyria Chronicles that I know of. Maybe I have and don't remember, I do enjoy turn based strategy games, but the name fails to ring a bell.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#14helldewPosted 1/21/2013 11:43:11 PM
lambchips posted...
iLLsteeze posted...
AW doesnt use the rock/paper/scissor triangle.

i havent played AW in a while, but wasnt there certain units that were stronger than others? and others which were stronger than another bunch etc
^ maybe rock, paper scissors isnt the correct term but basically every unit has a weakness against another and you form strategies by exploiting weaknesses

yes it does it just is a bit more complex then a bare bones basic Rock paper scissors trigangle. at times its broken at other times its shifted around weirdly.

Valkeria chronicles IMO was only really enjoyable with its first and maybe thrid game i really didnt like the second. stratagy wise its alright but i felt like i was brute forcing more often then not in that game.

FE really depends on which one considering there are now 13 entries. some of them had some pretty cool stratagies while others like sacred stones you could easily brute force. the perma death thing was an intrestiing choice like mechenic. it forced you to play far more carefully and it also put players in a spot where they have much more to lose and do they restart the chapter or keep going.

AW has by far the most strategy of the 3 but it also isnt really much of an RPG at all. it really depends on which game as well but AW was pretty cool although i found its theme really funny how no one cares about people dying left and right and they are just causally at war which is kinda the opposite of FE lol. in AW though you can be much more aggressive though where as in FE you cant nearly as often. AW pushing for cities and resources is a very viable move and as a result the game tends to flow at a slightly more interesting pace then FE does but with FE/VC you feel far more connection to your units rather via supports of just story scenes..
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#15gamewizard11Posted 1/22/2013 12:41:40 AM
In terms of gameplay:
AW > FE > VC

In terms of whole package:
FE > VC > AW

I love all these games, but Fire Emblem is among my favorite series because I love the game-play and story together so much. Valkyria Chronicles was amazing, but I prefer the simplicity of FE and AW to it. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin has claimed more time for a portable game than any other I have ever played.

All 3 of these I consider day 1 buys, though.
---
don't have a waifu. 2D is just too mainstream and 1D is not even visible.
#16Xenesis XenonPosted 1/22/2013 12:53:42 AM(edited)
Why is Advance Wars in an SRPG discussion?

It's a pure turn based strategy game, there's no RPG in it at all. It's closer to Heroes of Might and Magic or Civilisation than any Fire Emblem game.

Also, I suppose my signature would give away my preference.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#17Semi45a(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 12:58:44 AM
excellent point Xenon. Advanced Wars isn't true SRPG is it? I suppose the similarities to Fire Emblem and the fact they are made by the same company caught us off guard. But I suppose like how Front Mission lost its SRPG roots, does AW have the chance of doing the opposite?
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#18Xenesis XenonPosted 1/22/2013 2:22:06 AM
I damn well hope not.

Fire Emblem is IS's strategy RPG. Advance (No D.) is IS's TBS series.

Besides, it'd ruin every draw of the series.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#19TinyTim123Posted 1/22/2013 2:26:48 AM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
I damn well hope not.

Fire Emblem is IS's strategy RPG. Advance (No D.) is IS's TBS series.

Besides, it'd ruin every draw of the series.

What exactly is the sticking point between Turn Based Strategy and Strategy Role Playing game? Is it the individual characterization of the units and their integration into the story?
I've always treated them the same, but yes, I can see a big difference between something like Shining Force and Heroes of Might and Magic.

Also, I think SRPG is a relatively new term, maybe with in the last five or ten years. Before that as far as I know, these type of games were just called strategy, with the distinction of being turn based like chess peices rather than all at once like Red Alert 2 or StarCraft, which are real time.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#20Xenesis XenonPosted 1/22/2013 3:09:16 AM
I'd say the tipping point is when your performance in single player meaningfully affects the multiplayer, or when the challenge of a level is independent of how you did on the previous level.

Strategically, Fire Emblem relies on your performance across multiple maps and your characters improve in performance across the game. In Advance Wars, each map is a set piece and the challenge is in how you use the pieces to beat the challenge (or the other player). You can have a terrible map in AW (losing tons of units, slow score, whatever) and the next map is the same, while in FE you're penalised with an increase in difficulty (due to lost items/exp/characters).

And this is even before we get to Multiplayer. Multiplayer FE relies on your single player performance. Advance Wars does not - beyond unlocked COs, a newbie who's never touched the single player is on the same footing as someone who's cleared everything and 100%'d all the game's challenges.
---