Finally getting back into handheld gaming! Quick Q about VLR.

#1Killur XFalconPosted 1/21/2013 3:16:46 AM
Hey guys. I'm picking up a 3DS XL tomorrow along with Kingdom Hearts 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations, since they are both on sale for $20 on Amazon right now.

I haven't been into handheld gaming for MANY years, so I've been doing a lot of research into the 3DS' quality titles. I know you can't really go wrong with Nintendo franchises like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Kid Icarus:Uprising, but I had never heard of Zero Escape: VLR until 2 days ago.

Lots of people have been recommending it though, so I just wanted to ask if it was necessary to play the prequel(999) before jumping into VLR. Are the stories and characters connected or is it an entirely different experience?

Thanks.

P.S : Super excited to join you guys! I had no intention of picking up a 3DS until my friend showed me Fire Emblem: Awakening last week. Had no idea there were so many good games on this system. :D
---
"It sounds like an angry, drunken bear being shot from a cannon."-AutoMobile Mag commenting on the Audi RS4.
#2IHeartMetroidPosted 1/21/2013 3:22:08 AM(edited)
If you get Zero Escape, just make sure not to save in the puzzle rooms. There's a horrible bug that'll totally ruin your save.
#3HurricaneManningPosted 1/21/2013 3:24:10 AM
Yes you should play 999 before you play VLR.
---
Suck for Luck watch: SUCCESS
BOILER UP!
#4legendarylemurPosted 1/21/2013 3:51:59 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
If you get Zero Escape, just make sure not to save in the puzzle rooms. There's a horrible bug that'll totally ruin your save.

It's only in 2 of the rooms though. One is the Compression Chamber and I forget what the other one was
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Catch the Rainbow
#5legendarylemurPosted 1/21/2013 3:52:40 AM
Oh, and yes, you probably HAVE to play 999 if you want the full experience in VLR. Some of its bigger reveals have more impact if you know what happened in 999
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Catch the Rainbow
#6Killur XFalcon(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 5:14:58 AM
Thanks for the info. There is nothing worse that losing save data so that worries me.

How long is a typical run through of 999? I might pick it up if it's really good. Still have a DS Lite that I barely used.
---
"It sounds like an angry, drunken bear being shot from a cannon."-AutoMobile Mag commenting on the Audi RS4.
#7RayzerTagPosted 1/22/2013 9:27:59 PM
Playing 999 is strongly recommended. It's essential to the story of the trilogy, and a couple of VLR's plot twists won't hit as hard without having played 999 first. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're not going to play it. If you want, you can just take the two required endings in 6-8 hours.

As for the save bug, just be sure to save during novel sections, not escape sections (especially the PEC room), and you'll be fine. Absolutely not a valid reason to miss out on these games.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.