So my touchscreen has a weird crackling noise on the left side..

#1CronoDynePosted 1/22/2013 2:23:27 AM
My 3DS is about three weeks out of the box, and I noticed something earlier to day with the left side of the touchscreen, about 1/10 of the screen. Just the most minor amount of pressure makes a weird plastic-y "crackling" noise. I never noticed it before so I don't know if it was there since the start. The 3DS hasn't left the house, so there's been no trauma to the system either. The touchscreen controls seem to be working just fine, however.

Should I be concerned? It's a rather annoying sound, and I have a bit of OCD so it's making me not even want to play games that use that side of it. Any way to fix it beyond sending it in for "repair"?
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#2SamanthaThresaPosted 1/22/2013 2:43:04 AM
Mine's been doing the same thing, but on the bottom right corner. Hopefully it's something that isn't going to ruin it later.
#3CronoDyne(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 1:11:19 PM
Bump
---
#4DogscratchPosted 1/22/2013 1:42:24 PM
It sounds like an issue with the digitizer suffering from some separation. Just looking at how it is constructed it appears to be a resistive screen. Which has a 2 layer digitizer, in the case of the DS pressure is applied to the top screen, it makes contact with the bottom screen completing the circuit and registering a press.

Just taking a crapshoot, it appears on the left side of your 3DS this top touch layer has become separated causing it to click on some unknown plastic lip or ridge on the side. It should still function perfectly however, I would assume over time this will wear, and may give way to further separation.

A little test you can try, look at it at an angle, like 75-80 or so off center. Lightly press on the right side of the screen and try to see how much the screen goes down when you press the stylus to it(with an arbitrary consistent weight).

Then look at how much the screen travels on the left side - I would guess it is going to travel a little bit more, you may even see a bit of a snap when the top level screen and the next one under it make contact if it is riding on a lip.

Sad part is this would seem to be a warranty issue, there is no easy way to get at where the edge of the screen will be outside taking the whole thing apart.

While one can take apart their unit, and I am sure there are many videos showing you how - why not take advantage of the warranty given by your unit.
---
Machine meat and Blood in an intimate relationship
The new superior more effective then all the preceding
#5CronoDyne(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 12:29:27 AM
*sigh* Hopefully I get used to it. It really gets on my nerves when I spent so much on this thing and the games I own for it. I don't want to send it in just yet since I've only had it for less than a month, and it's my primary gaming system right now.
---
#6The_Hungry_OnePosted 1/23/2013 1:08:03 AM
If you have a receipt, then return it to the store. Under the electronic goods consumer act; all electronics and media have an automatic 1 year warranty. Return it to the store and demand a replacement. Your product seems naturally faulty to me, so I'd say you're quite within your rights.
---
Long days and pleasant nights.