The logic of Mario Critics

#31Bahamut_10thPosted 1/22/2013 9:15:45 PM
The logic of TC:
"Man, those Mario Critics don't know what they want! They don't want sequels that change absolutely nothing but they don't want sequels that make drastic changes and remove things people liked.
What could they possibly want???"

Where I come from people call that line of thinking '8 or 80'.
#32StarmanJuniorPosted 1/23/2013 10:08:16 AM
Whenever fanboys hear, "We want something new," they automatically assume that it's a huge overhaul rather than just a few imperative changes to keep games fresh. By the logic of TC and other fanboys, Nintendo could hand them a box of garbage (literal garbage) and they'd be on here defending it's size, texture, and smell, of course.

Personally, I don't think anything is wrong with the Mario formula. Run, jump, kill enemies, get from A to B, but as Alice Cooper said, it's the little things that piss me off.

Taking a look at other franchises, sometimes it's amazing when they keep the look of the game identical, yet make it fresh enough for it to be its own experience. Mega Man is a perfect example of this. Look at 1 through 6 for the NES. Each one retained the identical look, yet with 8 brand new bosses, world themes, and music to keep the games fresh. They even returned to that formula for 9 and 10 and fans couldn't have been happier. They did the same thing with Mega Man X. A direct sequel can retain that same youthful feel, while delivering a new experience. If a game is good, it feels like a continuation, rather than a rehash.

Even Super Mario Galaxy 2 retained the look of #1 while offering a brand new experience. Others that have done the same include: Adventure Island, Castlevania, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, and many more.

New Super Mario Bros. 2, on the other hand, doesn't just wear the skin of its predecessors, it also takes everything else. Looks identical, but not fresh. No 8 brand new bosses, no new world themes, no new music, just the same stuff again, making the copy and paste thing to be not fresh nor innovative. The NSMB formula isn't even that great of a formula to begin with. The graphics, design, and music are all...average, but not that memorable.

So when people like TC want to say to themselves that nintendo is delivering masterpieces when they're clearly copying and pasting the majority of the game, it doesn't necessarily mean we want an overhaul...just something that feels a LITTLE new at least. Alas, them fanboys will let nintendo get away with murder.
---
It's been a long time, Buzz Buzz
#33abbyhitterPosted 1/23/2013 10:12:43 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
The logic of TC:
"Man, those Mario Critics don't know what they want! They don't want sequels that change absolutely nothing but they don't want sequels that make drastic changes and remove things people liked.

Sticker Star removed the bad stuff from the original Paper Mario that I didn't like and added new stuff that I did like.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#34BoomhPosted 1/23/2013 10:26:19 AM
pikachupwnage posted...
*Sets up popcorn stand*

5$ for a large extra butter popcorn!

Come and get it while its fresh and before the fighting starts!

Also you can purchase soda or water for 1$ and a lawn chair for just 25$!

What are you going to do with all of your internet money? You have created a successful business in one topic, imagine if you expanded into other topics...or even into other BOARDS!!
---
3DS FC: 0216-0969-9464
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8
#35LOLRIFANPosted 1/23/2013 10:30:15 AM
abbyhitter posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
The logic of TC:

Sticker Star removed the bad stuff from the original Paper Mario that I didn't like and added new stuff that I did like.

if your not a fan of the series gameplay,don't play it and play another series. it's not that complicated that's WHY we have multi game series.
---
I am a furry AND PROUD to admit it.
Also guess what I AM SMASHKING84
#36wiiking96Posted 1/23/2013 11:12:50 AM
Oh look, it's MarioMan making ignorant generalizations. What else is new?

/StarmanJunior's post
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#37HejiruPosted 1/23/2013 11:35:14 AM
You're only the zillionth person to say this, TC, and the problem with this idea is that you assume the NSMB2 haters and the Sticker Star haters are the same people. Some people liked Sticker Star because it was different and hated NSMB2 because it was a "rehash." And some people hated Sticker Star for being so different and liked NSMB2.

And also, even if both statements were coming from the same guy, there is such a thing as balance. Changing a few things in the game structure to make it better while still staying pretty close to the original. Neither Sticker Star nor NSMB2 did that. They both went for opposite extremes. Look at Pikmin 2, for example. Perfect example of a sequel. The core gameplay is mostly the same, but they've added new things and enhanced things from the first game. The same could be said for Melee and for Super Metroid. That's what people want; a balance instead of extremes. Improving the gameplay we like instead of not changing it all or changing it entirely so that it's a completely different game.
---
Hidden details about the Wii U Yoshi game I noticed: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/65259642
#38deimos91Posted 1/23/2013 5:36:25 PM
Sad_Face posted...
How about understanding why people hate NSMB2 and SS before making ignorant generalizations?

There are flaws but none worth being bashed for and called awful
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#39AceMosPosted 1/23/2013 5:43:32 PM
pikachupwnage posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...
*steals one of Pika's chairs and a bag of popcorn while no one is looking*

*Steals Sir_Haxors wallet while no one is looking*

*kidnaps pika to hold him for ransom*
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*