Is Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon really that bad?

#11aamotPosted 1/22/2013 6:16:36 PM(edited)
Instead of being a remake of the first Fire Emblem game on the NES, Shadow Dragon is a graphically-enhanced straight port of that game. So it's as basic as it was in 1990.

Every map is won by defeating the boss held up in a fortress and capturing said fortress. That is how every single map is won; in more recent Fire Emblems there are alternate or secondary victory conditions for variety. Bold and italic to emphasize that every single mission plays the same.

Every boss is defeated by doing the same wait / counterattack / heal routine; otherwise they will 1-hit your units.

It's just... it's a pretty bad game.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#12Magikoopa21Posted 1/22/2013 6:16:34 PM
2wingedangel posted...
I liked Shadow Dragon, but didn't really care for Radiant Dawn. My main issue with RD is that you can't let ANYONE die. Of course, you don't really want your units dying anyway, but I still don't like that.

This completely. Shadow Dragon isn't bad compared to RD, and it'll make you appreciate the improvements in Awakening more by the time you get it.
#13BlackHorse6969Posted 1/22/2013 6:18:24 PM
its not bad. it's just generic. the characters are forgettable. the plot just revolves around going to places and liberating those places. At the end, you fight the evil boss and save the world.
#14Koi_TenchiPosted 1/22/2013 6:33:05 PM
aamot posted...
Instead of being a remake of the first Fire Emblem game on the NES, Shadow Dragon is a graphically-enhanced straight port of that game. So it's as basic as it was in 1990.

Every map is won by defeating the boss held up in a fortress and capturing said fortress. That is how every single map is won; in more recent Fire Emblems there are alternate or secondary victory conditions for variety. Bold and italic to emphasize that every single mission plays the same.

Every boss is defeated by doing the same wait / counterattack / heal routine; otherwise they will 1-hit your units.

It's just... it's a pretty bad game.

Oh crap... I've been meaning to go back and beat the last few missions on Shadow Dragon (I had gotten really close and it's on my backlog) but I forgot about how EVERY mission was the same... : /

I think I kind of just lost any interest I currently had in revisiting it any time soon...
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#15guedesbrawlPosted 1/22/2013 7:03:47 PM
shadow dragon is ''too simple'' in terms of mechanics when compared to other games.it's fine on it's own;but think of it like how people that only played new super mario bros games would be turned off by the original SMB.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#16MrKunioPosted 1/22/2013 7:14:44 PM
I was gonna post this same topic!

No it really isnt. Its Just kind of a straight forward game. I've been playing it while waiting for awakening to come out!
---
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475
#17emagdnEPosted 1/22/2013 7:20:14 PM
ignore anyone who says Shadow Dragon is bad compared to the three games to come before it, they have no idea what they are talking about

furthermore, most people who complain about Shadow Dragon whine about "lack of story", which is really, the least of the problems that Shadow Dragon actually has (or rather, lack of story ISN'T a problem, it's a ****ing video game, play for gameplay), like how the new additions to the game clash horribly with what was left exactly the same as the NES game

so yes, Shadow Dragon IS subpar, but ignore most of the people who actually say it is because they like even worse games and/or hate on it for the wrong reasons
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#18LOLRIFANPosted 1/22/2013 7:22:13 PM
yes it is imo. series i played every fe that came here in america then i played shadow dragon and noticed how much it sucked.
---
I am a furry AND PROUD to admit it.
Also guess what I AM SMASHKING84
#19Rizaadon007Posted 1/22/2013 8:07:48 PM
People here gotta remember, it's a remake of an NES GAME.
---
"Welcome to the Velvet Monorail! This place resides between Dream and Universal Studios!" -Cantido on how the Velvet Room changes from game to game.
#20Jack_the_monke7Posted 1/22/2013 8:09:53 PM
Shadow Dragon is a great game. It lacks some features of others, but it still has the great Fire Emblem formula.