SMT: Devil Survivor vs. SMT: Strange Journey, and how do both compare to Persona

#51saint35Posted 1/22/2013 8:54:26 PM
Sir_Haxor posted...
saint35 posted...
Strange Journey: First person dungeon crawler. Pretty much the one SMT game that is truly a dungeon crawler. Really long dungeons that go up to like 8 hours long. Has a very minimal story and no human characters in your party other then the protagonist. It's a great game, but not one of my favorite SMT's and the final boss fight is RIDICULOUSLY HARD.

Devil Survivor: Shin Megami Tensei S-RPG. I have not played the first, but recently started the second and it's incredibly good so far.

By the way, you know about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner Soul Hackers? Comes out in April. Check the game out. One of the best games of the series. In general though, it's very hard to compare any SMT games to each other since each are quite different. It's hard to compare Strange Journey or Devil Survivor to any of the Persona games. Strange Journey is similar to only the first Persona. In the regard that it's first person and that's about it. You just have to try the other games of the series and make an opinion for yourself.

Umm SMT1+2 much?

I don't view SMT 1 or 2 as a dungeon crawler. A dungeon crawler to me has almost no emphasis on a story and is purely about going through dungeons with no towns or other areas in between. SMT 1 or 2 aren't like that. There's towns in them, a story and the dungeons aren't too long. Aside from the final ones in SMT 1 that is. I would even say SMT 2 has one of the best stories in any SMT game and has better developed characters then Nocturne.
---
Why modern education is failing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6c-HY8dck
#52DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/22/2013 8:55:13 PM
To be fair, everything had better developed characters than Nocturne.

:u
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#53MetalLokiPosted 1/22/2013 9:00:37 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...

Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur, Slime and Mermaid.....Next is?
#54Sir_HaxorPosted 1/22/2013 9:23:42 PM(edited)
MetalLoki posted...
DynamicJumpIuff posted...

Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets.

If I had room I would sig this.

Edit: Only for you Loki
---
3DS Friend Code: 0559-6940-0140
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#55Nickcool1996Posted 1/22/2013 9:58:47 PM
I want to see SJ's MC vs. Aleph just cause.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o451/Behiimosu/dickkick.jpg
#56Yosuke-HanamuraPosted 1/22/2013 10:09:11 PM
If you're used to playing Persona, I recommend starting with Devil Survivor. It's more anime-like, as Persona is.

Strange Journey is also much more challenging, and might be difficult for a Persona player, as Persona 3/4 are the easiest games in the (S)MT franchise.
---
Items: None. (See my Profile for equipped items.)
#57ShadowSkill11Posted 1/22/2013 10:55:39 PM
If you are talking about Persona 3, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, Persona 4 The Golden the 3ds games are grossly inferior.
#58MetalLokiPosted 1/22/2013 10:58:55 PM
ShadowSkill11 posted...
If you are talking about Persona 3, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, Persona 4 The Golden the 3ds games are grossly inferior.

Opinion.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Lamia, Harpy, Centaur, Slime and Mermaid.....Next is?
#59jovewolfPosted 1/22/2013 11:01:07 PM
mtjormitch posted...
If you beat Strange Journey you should automatically get a high five from everyone around you due to how grueling the game is. The final boss does not care that you are level 99. It can still kill you in three hits!

Man you can autobattle the final boss to death with a Erthys, Melchom and Jack Frost if you've set them up right:

*spoilers in link*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeTRX9wt5Wg
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#60badboyPosted 1/23/2013 12:13:22 AM(edited)
Devil Survivor is more like SRPGs with its own style.
Strange Journey is first-person dungeon crawler, it's demon mechanics are similar to the mainline SMT games (such as SMT I, II, and Nocturne).

I am not a fan of the Megami Tensei franchise, but I played these games and honestly none of them are as good as Persona 3 or 4, although if you like SRPGs you may enjoy DS 1 & 2.