Is it actually 'illegal' for someone not living in the US to use the US eShop?

#1ONinetailsPosted 1/23/2013 12:44:41 AM
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem here. I just bought a prepaid card for my American 3DS, which I was able to use to add $20 to my account without any problems. But then when I tried to buy something from the eShop, I was asked to enter a zip code. Apparently, it's required to calculate sales tax, so I imagine that entering a random zip code wouldn't be a very wise thing to do, would it?

I don't want to have to change my region; the North American eShop has stuff that isn't available to other regions, and well, I don't want those $20 to go to waste. Any advice?
#2cadorPosted 1/23/2013 12:48:22 AM
Ask for a zip code from someone around here. Better from a state with no taxes for such things. It shouldn't be as problem if the zip code is legit.
---
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy
#3Questioner7311Posted 1/23/2013 12:48:23 AM
I don't see the problem, people on PSN have several accounts from other regions to download DLC. Find a zip and off you go ^_^
---
PSN: FeatherFang
Old memories seldom fade and bad habits die hard
#4viajarvPosted 1/23/2013 1:05:23 AM
You're just importing digital content.
#5elsmittyPosted 1/23/2013 1:09:33 AM
no...
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
#6nonexistingheroPosted 1/23/2013 1:44:43 AM
I think it is 'basically' illegal to give an incorrect adress on purpose. But it's not like they'll do anything to you for it. Just find out where they have the lowest tax, use some adress generator to come up with believable location stuff and profit.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7Ergot_CholeraPosted 1/23/2013 2:22:48 AM
Set your country to Brazil, you won't need to add a zip code.
#8jovewolfPosted 1/23/2013 2:55:55 AM
If you're outside the country, it's doubtful (unless you're downloading something that's banned in your own country I guess).

If you're within the US and setting your zip code to one that doesn't have sales tax I guess that's technically tax evasion, but I doubt they'll come after you (unless they really need something to arrest you for.)
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#9ferofaxPosted 1/23/2013 3:53:28 AM
Alaska 99515 (I think that's Anchorage). Now that I think about it, my country has an existing extradition treaty of sorts with the U.S.

*yaoming*
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#10gofghxgPosted 1/23/2013 4:13:00 AM
Get an Alaskan Zip code is what I've heard on this board. I use my own state, which is undisclosed unless you seen me on mario kart Ds or 7.
---
I'm not saying He's batman, I'm just saying no-ones ever seen Darth Vader and batman in the same room together.