Is it actually 'illegal' for someone not living in the US to use the US eShop?

#21adampeltzPosted 1/23/2013 4:03:34 PM(edited)
scigeek101 posted...
Its probably illegal, but since you don't live in the United States US law doesn't apply really. So go ahead.

Wow... you're wrong on many levels. Allow me to clear this up... It is not illegal at all. You are not violating any law, just Nintendo's contract terms.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#22robulastagePosted 1/23/2013 5:01:40 PM
I posted a topic nearly identical to this last year and it was deleted, with no karma lost, because it "Promotes tax evasion."
---
3DS FC: 4253-3586-3727
#23gofghxgPosted 1/23/2013 6:42:22 PM
badboy posted...
guedesbrawl posted...
Ergot_Cholera posted...
Set your country to Brazil, you won't need to add a zip code.

and will pay more than double price for everything.

Not really, just the retail games are more expensive on the eShop, they're like $70 or $65. The eShop only games are about the same.

In brazil dollars... just like in canada everything is 1 dollar more
---
I'm not saying He's batman, I'm just saying no-ones ever seen Darth Vader and batman in the same room together.
#24SSJ4CHRISPosted 1/23/2013 7:08:28 PM
Obtaining property under false pretenses. Depending on what you obtain and your legal history, it can be a simple return the property or restitution, to serious jail/prison time.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#25EnclavePosted 1/23/2013 8:29:03 PM
gofghxg posted...
badboy posted...
guedesbrawl posted...
Ergot_Cholera posted...

Not really, just the retail games are more expensive on the eShop, they're like $70 or $65. The eShop only games are about the same.

Everything costs $1 more in Canada? Now that's BS, our dollars are at parity.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#26JurassicBondPosted 1/23/2013 8:33:08 PM
30337, or look up any other zip code in Georgia. No sales tax there.
---
Reading: A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#27xXMrWolfXxPosted 1/24/2013 1:25:04 AM
GoodOlJr posted...
i've always used 90210 as my zip code, it was the only zip code i knew of.

I used that too and I never see any tax added.
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611
#28Miggi3Fr3shPosted 1/24/2013 4:11:23 AM
adampeltz posted...
scigeek101 posted...
Its probably illegal, but since you don't live in the United States US law doesn't apply really. So go ahead.

Wow... you're wrong on many levels. Allow me to clear this up... It is not illegal at all. You are not violating any law, just Nintendo's contract terms.

If you're a US citizen it is considered tax evasion. I am not sure how tax evasion works with non-US citizens but it is illegal for US citizens.
---
3DS: 3351-4111-5844 PSN: Miggi3Fr3sh86
Here at GameFAQs gamers don't game, they complain.
#29badboyPosted 1/24/2013 4:13:22 AM
gofghxg posted...
badboy posted...
guedesbrawl posted...
Ergot_Cholera posted...

No, they're $65~70 after the conversion.
#30adampeltzPosted 1/24/2013 8:19:31 AM
Miggi3Fr3sh posted...
adampeltz posted...
scigeek101 posted...

If you're a US citizen it is considered tax evasion. I am not sure how tax evasion works with non-US citizens but it is illegal for US citizens.

Proof of tax evasion requires prosecutors to show that the defendant possessed the specific intent to evade a known legal duty to pay. Although I'm not very familiar with tax law, I doubt the IRS or any state level tax administration cares that you're a US citizen who wants access to Japanese or European exclusive video game downloads. Plus, even disregarding the intent requirement, I'm curious why you think this would hypothetically constitute tax evasion for a US citizen.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.