so when a character dies in fire emblem...

#1FlyinTonitePosted 1/24/2013 12:06:36 AM
Are they gone for good? I mean, I get the can't use em in battle anymore, but does it drastically affect the story in anyway. Say, character x dies but they were crucial to the story, do they stick around or are they gone and their role in the story taken by someone else?
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#2Captain_DrekPosted 1/24/2013 12:14:15 AM
You usually get a game over if a main character dies.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/captaindrek
#3legendarylemurPosted 1/24/2013 12:15:46 AM
If selected characters die, it is either game over, or it is treated as a serious but not fatal injury and is taken out of battle for the rest of the game. Characters that do not directly influence the game's story will be gone and grieved, but they're not exactly replaced. However, you tend to get more than 1 of each classes, making a loss of one class replaceable.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Catch the Rainbow
#4NeonYoshi11Posted 1/24/2013 12:17:49 AM
Yea if you lose too many or a whole class type all together it makes the end game more difficult because you may need that type to counter whatever you are facing then.
#5jedinatPosted 1/24/2013 12:18:44 AM(edited)
Almost everyone restarts the battle if a character dies.
#6nonexistingheroPosted 1/24/2013 1:38:40 AM
This new one has a casual mode with returning characters though.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7MinamoPosted 1/24/2013 5:47:47 AM
jedinat posted...

Which is why the whole perma-death gimmick is overrated. I won't be playing on casual, but the permanent death mechanic isn't a good one, just encourages resets. Valkyria Chronicles did it better.
#8fakewarsPosted 1/24/2013 6:10:36 AM
jedinat posted...

This, and it made me stopped playing for a whole month. But without perma death it would be far less fun since you can mindlessly storm the enemy. I just wish I can save everywhere
#9MMaestroPosted 1/24/2013 6:20:44 AM
Minamo posted...
jedinat posted...

Which is why the whole perma-death gimmick is overrated. I won't be playing on casual, but the permanent death mechanic isn't a good one, just encourages resets. Valkyria Chronicles did it better.

This. Perma-death in the Fire Emblem series ranged between stupid to game-breaking. If you didn't spread the XP around enough and/or you lost too many of your leveled up characters near the end, you couldn't recover.
#10AkaneJonesPosted 1/24/2013 6:26:36 AM
fakewars posted...
I just wish I can save everywhere

That would lead to game braking critical exploits so you never get hit and practically all your hits are criticals. The game RNGs them based on your movement to a character. Saving anywhere allows you to save before each characters turn to exploit those RNG effects.