Finally got 3DS XL, but not good experience with cashier

#31ShadowRisaePosted 1/25/2013 5:37:14 PM
Yeah, like some others said, just say "no thanks" when a cashier at a store tries to get you to buy x extra thing or sign up for a card you don't care about or whatever. If you give them any kind of excuse (I don't have money for that, I'm not interested, etc) they seem to take that and try to turn it around as to why you should still go for it. There's nothing they can really say to "no thanks". If they try to insist, just repeat yourself. That simple.

Stuff like this is why when I still lived in the US I mostly bought online. I live in Japan now and I can usually find good deals in store, but the Japanese don't tend to shove extras onto you. Actually, more likely they'll either give you free extras or they'll ask if you want a points card (which is free and lets you get points to make future purchases cheaper), so they aren't obnoxious and annoying.
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.
#32M4karovPosted 1/26/2013 12:01:47 AM
ShadowRisae posted...
If you give them any kind of excuse (I don't have money for that, I'm not interested, etc) they seem to take that and try to turn it around as to why you should still go for it.

Agreed, if you give a reason it can be interpreted as if you're still considering it, which they'll try to push you over the fence. That's what a good salesperson is expected to do.

And yeah it's not to say that what they're selling is always bad. Whether it's a warranty or membership card, But I think companies push their employees too much to meet these goals. Then again I've never managed a business
#33aamotPosted 1/26/2013 12:24:28 AM(edited)
I think a big issue is that most people are uncomfortable saying "no" to people.

Of course, there is legitimate salesperson persistence, but a lot of people just feel uncomfortable having to deny someone.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#34Tzuba12Posted 1/26/2013 4:03:36 AM
Kneekicker posted...
Tzuba12 posted...
Had the same experience when I went to gamestop to pick up my 3DS. I had JUST enough for the sm3dl flame red 3DS with a used Kid Icarus game, and he asked me if I wanted an extended warranty. Heres how it went:

Him: Do you want to buy the extended warranty? Its only 15 bucks.
Me: No, thats okay, I only have enough to buy this and thats it
Him: *rings up the price*
Him: Are you SURE you don't want the extended warranty? I would get it.
Me: No, I only have exactly enough to get what I'm buying, thats IT. (i should only have to say this once)

Then he pushes the gamestop rewards card or whatever, and I just say no thank you and get out of there.

This is why I usually just order stuff online. Only reason I went to Gamestop was because it was less expensive to buy there than Amazon.

He probably didn't hear you and asked you again so he didn't make a mistake, it happens a lot.
My dad works at Superstore and occasionally he forgets whether the customer wanted a bag or not so rather than make a mistake he would ask the customer again to make sure.
The managers of Gamestop force this on the employee's themselves, they have to promote pre-orders and power up cards to make more money. If the employees don't sell enough of those that gets stained onto their profile and they might even lose their job.

No, he heard me. Because the second time he asked me he said "Are you SURE?" and tried to push it again.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#35parKb5Posted 1/26/2013 5:10:41 AM(edited)
aamot posted...
I think a big issue is that most people are uncomfortable saying "no" to people.

Of course, there is legitimate salesperson persistence, but a lot of people just feel uncomfortable having to deny someone.

That's it right there.

Most of the people on this topic lack the social graces to properly interact with people in real life and feel uncomfortable telling someone "no."

Same thing with the open "new" games. They think to themselves, "Oh no, I asked for this game and it is the display copy...how do I tell them that I don't want it now? What do I do?"

The answer: Buy the game because you are too shy to tell the sales person no; log onto GameFAQs and bash Game Stop because you were too afraid of confrontation.

The REAL answer: Tell the sales person thank you but you would rather not pay full price for an open game and go to Wal Mart because obviously Wal Mart is perfect and no one has any complaints about them.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#36TinyTim123Posted 1/26/2013 7:07:43 AM
parKb5 posted...
aamot posted...

That's it right there.

Most of the people on this topic lack the social graces to properly interact with people in real life and feel uncomfortable telling someone "no."

Same thing with the open "new" games. They think to themselves, "Oh no, I asked for this game and it is the display copy...how do I tell them that I don't want it now? What do I do?"

The answer: Buy the game because you are too shy to tell the sales person no; log onto GameFAQs and bash Game Stop because you were too afraid of confrontation.

The REAL answer: Tell the sales person thank you but you would rather not pay full price for an open game and go to Wal Mart because obviously Wal Mart is perfect and no one has any complaints about them.

If you actually do the last part, you can sometimes get it for 10% less. The workers get into trouble for doing it too much, but it can happen because, yes, even the workers think it's BS.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#37parKb5Posted 1/26/2013 9:14:44 AM
Tzuba12 posted...
Kneekicker posted...
Tzuba12 posted...
Had the same experience when I went to gamestop to pick up my 3DS. I had JUST enough for the sm3dl flame red 3DS with a used Kid Icarus game, and he asked me if I wanted an extended warranty. Heres how it went:

Him: Do you want to buy the extended warranty? Its only 15 bucks.
Me: No, thats okay, I only have enough to buy this and thats it
Him: *rings up the price*
Him: Are you SURE you don't want the extended warranty? I would get it.
Me: No, I only have exactly enough to get what I'm buying, thats IT. (i should only have to say this once)

Then he pushes the gamestop rewards card or whatever, and I just say no thank you and get out of there.

This is why I usually just order stuff online. Only reason I went to Gamestop was because it was less expensive to buy there than Amazon.

He probably didn't hear you and asked you again so he didn't make a mistake, it happens a lot.
My dad works at Superstore and occasionally he forgets whether the customer wanted a bag or not so rather than make a mistake he would ask the customer again to make sure.
The managers of Gamestop force this on the employee's themselves, they have to promote pre-orders and power up cards to make more money. If the employees don't sell enough of those that gets stained onto their profile and they might even lose their job.

No, he heard me. Because the second time he asked me he said "Are you SURE?" and tried to push it again.

Because that is the employees job to push the warranties. Their managers tell them that they have to get x amount of warranties by the end of the day or they will get written up or something like that. That is why they still go on about them even after you turned them down the first time.

They want to keep their jobs.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#38DrgonbxcrossPosted 1/29/2013 5:43:31 PM
ShadowRisae posted...

Stuff like this is why when I still lived in the US I mostly bought online. I live in Japan now and I can usually find good deals in store, but the Japanese don't tend to shove extras onto you. Actually, more likely they'll either give you free extras or they'll ask if you want a points card (which is free and lets you get points to make future purchases cheaper), so they aren't obnoxious and annoying.

You must teach me Japanese ShadowRisae sensei.
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
I would have 1500 karma, but I forgot to login. FC 2065 3310 1217
#39MG42_CHEFPosted 1/29/2013 5:49:10 PM
The Power Up card is well worth the 15$ especially if you plan to buy older games. The warranty is worth it if you tend to be a bull in a china shop with things. If they don't push warranties and power up cards they lose their jobs. I am not so sure about the resealing bit. I bought Deus Ex HR and they had the game copy new, but it was separate from the case. So long as my money goes to the game dev, I don't really care, as long as I was not given damaged goods.

On topic, I am getting a 3ds xl myself on the 31st. Can't wait for it.
---
"I loved throwing cans of flatulance at people sitting in corners. Even the hitmarker noise sounded like a fart. I will also miss those days." -aj4x94