I don't understand how people can think handheld gaming is dying.

#1Reverted_PikkonPosted 1/24/2013 9:13:52 PM
The 3DS has already outsold the PS3. Does this mean console gaming is dying?

No.
---
The wind... it is... blowing... -Ganondorf
#2Jakerific44Posted 1/24/2013 9:15:33 PM
Reverted_Pikkon posted...

No.

...what?
---
Official Dratini of the Pokemon X Board
Going to go a year without playing 3DS. Started 1/14/13. Ended 1/14/13
#3KingJaggiPosted 1/24/2013 9:16:16 PM
Jakerific44 posted...
Reverted_Pikkon posted...

No.

...what?

I think he means in Japan
---
Psn:KingJaggi 3DS Fc:1590-5213-0522
I LOVE MONSTER HUNTER!!
#4MACH0Posted 1/24/2013 9:17:36 PM
I might be living under a rock, but are people saying handheld gaming is dying?
#5DarthFloatyPosted 1/24/2013 9:24:58 PM
MACH0 posted...
I might be living under a rock, but are people saying handheld gaming is dying?

Some people think tablets/smartphones will outsell them and destroy them. There is no data to back this up, so at this time it seems to be a lot of hokum.
#6dancer62Posted 1/24/2013 9:27:36 PM
Hmm.. the Palm Pilot was going to spell the end of dedicated portable gaming. Nah!

The Windows Mobile Pocket PC was going to spell the end of dedicated portable gaming. Nah!

Cell phones were going to spell the end of dedicated portable gaming. Nah!

Now Android and Iphone are going to spell the end of dedicated portable gaming. I don't think so.

Multiuse devices don't have controls laid out with gaming in mind. Sure, they can play games, but, for example, DOOM on a Pocket PC is a PINTA, while shareware DOOM is still great through DosBox on a PSP or DS.

The only fly in the soup is that the new generation portables are pretty disappointing so far, I'd hate to think that portable gaming hit its high water mark with the DS and PSP.
---
I'm waiting for Bandai to release the WonderSwan/SwanCrystal II and blow both the Vita and the 3DS away.
#7NnamzPosted 1/24/2013 11:58:40 PM
Media Create sales posted every week are for Japan. 3DS is killing it in Japan.

In the states, it's doing decently, but it hasn't been setting the world on fire.

You have to keep in mind though, the majority of people saying dedicated portables are dead were never portable gamers to begin with. They are console gamers who now use their silly phone games to kill time when on the road, who do not find any need to own a dedicated portable. There is, and likely always will be, a market for the dedicated portable. Some games just aren't possible on a touch screen only device. And more importantly, the marketplace is way to clutter with free and 99c throwaway games that it has conditioned phone gamers to turn their noses at anything over $5. This makes it extremely risky to do high budget games on Android or iOS. Charging $3.99 for a high budget game on Android/iOS, even if it sells 10x the copies as a 3DS version, will generate the same revenue. (extreme example yes, I know)
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#8RayzerTagPosted 1/25/2013 12:00:19 AM
And Monster Hunter isn't even out yet.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#9NnamzPosted 1/25/2013 12:06:54 AM
Just some more food for thought:

Modern Combat 4, the latest entry in the most popular phone shooter franchise, has sold been downloaded roughly 50 000+ times on Android devices (this includes free vouchers, but for this comparisons sake, lets assume all downloads were paid downloads. Lets also assume the number is 75 000, since all we know is that it's over 50k, but under 100k). It's price is $6.99.

Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified on Vita, the worst Call of Duty ever, sold over 300 000 units at retail alone at $50.00. This is of course excluding digital downloads, which we will not count since we don't know the number, but it's well into the thousands.

Black Ops Declassified has generated 15 Million dollars of revenue despite being the worst game released last year.

MC4 generated just over half a million dollars of revenue so far on Android. Unless it has generated 30x more sales on iphone, it has not been more profitable.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#10Bancario51Posted 1/25/2013 12:13:21 AM
mobile revolution!
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~