What's the point of having dual screens on the 3DS anymore?

#1SolnotPosted 1/25/2013 3:30:44 AM
Or even a bottom touch screen for that matter? It's kinda impossible to use when both your thumbs are always on the circle pads, D-Pad, or A B X Y buttons.
#2SoeroahPosted 1/25/2013 3:36:15 AM
Most games I've played don't require you to control a character with both hands while using the touch screen with a third. Generally the touch screen is used for games where speedy reactions aren't necessary, or where the touch screen is the only control method.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#3Super SlashPosted 1/25/2013 3:36:55 AM
Soeroah posted...
Most games I've played don't require you to control a character with both hands while using the touch screen with a third.

Yeah, I've never had to use my three hands.
#4Catcher_FreemanPosted 1/25/2013 3:40:25 AM
A second screen benefits any game.

For example, OoT 3D. Having your health, magic bar, and items on the bottom screen gets rid of all that clutter on the top screen.

It also makes the infamously tedious Water Temple less tedious because you don't have to keep opening the menu to equip and unequip the Iron Boots.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#5lepeosPosted 1/25/2013 4:29:17 AM
I don't think you should be complaining that most developers have thankfully moved away from shoehorning in touch controls at every opportunity.

The above posters example of OoT 3D is a good one. FE is another, having a touchscreen to play that game isn't essential, but it is more visually pleasing to have your unit info on the bottom and action on top.

I'm sure there are more examples as well.
---
@lepeos
Pokemon White 2 FC : 2624 0583 6539
#6VyersPosted 1/25/2013 4:32:27 AM
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is a pretty unfortunate example of exactly what the TC describes. A rare one, but an unfortunate one. The forced touch controls are one of the very few flaws in it, but it's a doozy.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Latest YouTube upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zcAJVPvo8 Pokemon Snap, Part 2
#790sRetroGamingPosted 1/25/2013 5:13:54 AM
Playing Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.. seems much better and much easier simply tapping ANYWHERE on the bottom screen with your stylus to perform the proper actions instead of swiping your thumb or index finger in precise locations to perform said actions on the screen, while at the same blocking a decent part of the image on screen.. another reason i can't really stand iOS games.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#8Fr33zPosted 1/25/2013 5:14:50 AM
While alot of games aren't touch focused like when the DS first came out the second screen/touch screen really does help alot. Inventory/Map/Data management is a hell of alot easier with the second screen always right there. Ntm the touch screen makes picking/choosing things alot simpler. Also touch keyboard is godsend. Im tired of clicking a million times just to type out one word on my PSP/PS3.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#9Bahamut_10thPosted 1/25/2013 5:19:25 AM
Vyers posted...
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is a pretty unfortunate example of exactly what the TC describes. A rare one, but an unfortunate one. The forced touch controls are one of the very few flaws in it, but it's a doozy.

Ridiculous.
DoS had you using touch screens like once in a blue moon.
Past the rooms where you break the white blocks you didn't ever need to use them again.
#10PinchekriaPosted 1/25/2013 5:31:05 AM
I'd rather have the map/radar, inventory, and other stuff on the bottom screen for quick access rather than having it take up room on the top screen. Really disliked having to use touch screen controls for some DS games, thank god for the circle pad.