Someone explain me how the region lock is bringing Nintendo more money

#1Black_AssassinPosted 1/25/2013 6:54:30 AM
Because I'm actually saving money by importing everything, including the system.

I live in Europe.
#2PokeMasterPosted 1/25/2013 6:57:33 AM
Region lock protects different markets to an extent, it doesn't necessarily bring Nintendo more money.

As you have pointed out, for some EU customers it's often cheaper to import from US. Those that can be bothered will import everything, but for the majority of people they'll just buy locally.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#3trenton97Posted 1/25/2013 6:57:47 AM
they know only the very serious about gaming crowd will import a system. everyone else will buy an EU 3DS and pay inflated prices.
---
After I finish life the first time, I'm doing a challenge run.
LttP>everything else.
#4Black_Assassin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 7:02:44 AM
If 99.5% of people don't import anything and buy locally, then it further makes me wonder what region locking is supposed to accomplish.

PokeMaster posted...
Region lock protects different markets to an extent,

Protects them from?

it doesn't necessarily bring Nintendo more money.

Sounds counterproductive to me.
#5GlobalCoolingPosted 1/25/2013 7:07:34 AM
Black_Assassin posted...
If 99.5% of people don't import anything and buy locally, then it further makes me wonder what region locking is supposed to accomplish.

PokeMaster posted...

Protects them from?

How dumb are you?...
#6PokeMasterPosted 1/25/2013 7:12:15 AM
Black_Assassin posted...

PokeMaster posted...

Protects them from?

Protects markets from parallel / grey-market importing.

Say game A is $60 in one country, but $30 in US.
On a region-free console, a store can source the games cheaper by importing, more cheaper than buying locally from suppliers (as JB HiFI and other retailers do).

By having a region locked console, it helps the local gaming industry and supports retailers.
---
#7RazieruPosted 1/25/2013 7:13:19 AM
That's what everyone around here is led to ignorantly or willfully believe. I don't see how blocking what is potential revenue in other regions saves one any kind of money.

If anything, region locking those games that have yet to see a localization in other regions keeps Nintendo and others from GETTING money. It's the same as the bull**** defending of demo limits.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#8Black_Assassin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 7:23:07 AM(edited)
The store importing makes sense.

GlobalCooling posted...
How dumb are you?...

At least I have basic manners.

How old are you?
#9PokeMasterPosted 1/25/2013 7:20:27 AM(edited)
@Raz;

Can you clarify your statement about saving money? Who is?

Consumers can save money by importing from the US, that's simple fact.
---
#10RazieruPosted 1/25/2013 7:30:00 AM
PokeMaster posted...
@Raz; Can you clarify your statement about saving money? Who is?

I never said it saves anyone money. I was saying how I don't see how blocking potential revenue (the region locked games) saves anyone any kind of money.

Consumers can save money by importing from the US, that's simple fact.

Of course, but Nintendo and friends are cheating themselves by not localizing the same games that they region lock.

THIS is what I'm talking about when I said, "If anything, region locking those games that have yet to see a localization in other regions keeps Nintendo and others from GETTING money."

Who wouldn't kill for a localization of Mother 3, and plenty of other games that never left Japan and other regions for example? That's some serious mullah for Ninendo alone. Saving money? It's more like passing up an epic opportunity to make some more.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!