Someone explain me how the region lock is bringing Nintendo more money

#31HakuPosted 1/25/2013 12:06:10 PM
Should the UK not be a separate region from the rest of PAL regions, if it's about price?. 3DS games are readily available for 29.99 here ($45), only a little bit more than the US and that is including VAT. I don't know what they cost after sales tax is added in the US.

Should we not be locked off as well then? As it stands people in zones and Australians can just grab the UK version for much cheaper.
#32HalecticPosted 1/25/2013 2:00:50 PM
It is the same reason US companies outsource to Asia to make products, as they can make it cheaper then in the US, because there is no "region" locking on imports.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#33parKb5Posted 1/25/2013 3:24:35 PM
PokeMaster posted...
Black_Assassin posted...
If 99.5% of people don't import anything and buy locally, then it further makes me wonder what region locking is supposed to accomplish.

PokeMaster posted...
Region lock protects different markets to an extent,

Protects them from?

it doesn't necessarily bring Nintendo more money.

Sounds counterproductive to me.

Protects markets from parallel / grey-market importing.

Say game A is $60 in one country, but $30 in US.
On a region-free console, a store can source the games cheaper by importing, more cheaper than buying locally from suppliers (as JB HiFI and other retailers do).

By having a region locked console, it helps the local gaming industry and supports retailers.

So then why don't the European markets lower their prices to match the other regions?
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#34pkmastah15Posted 1/25/2013 5:15:10 PM
Black_Assassin posted...
Guess Sony has more leverage then, with Vita being somewhat region-free.

Remember, Nintendo is trying to broaden their market in games. Nintendo wants support from more third party companies and develop more games on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo knows that they have a limit to how much $$ they can make just by recycling Mario or any other Nintendo franchise a bazillion times. That's why for the Wii U launch, they got other games other than Nintendo games.

Sony has been doing region free since PS3/PSP days, so if they suddenly started making region locks, they would get a lot backlash from people. It isn't PSX/PS2 era anymore.
#35PokeMasterPosted 1/25/2013 5:58:45 PM
parKb5 posted...

So then why don't the European markets lower their prices to match the other regions?

I think there's a lot more involved than just lowering the price.
Tax, minimum wage, retailer markup, dsitribution and other related costs.
(Actually I don't know, I'm pulling out random words, hoping to hit something)

Even for digital products, Australia gets shafted. Apple/iTunes recently made news because they were basically charging Australians double for digital music.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#36lambchipsPosted 1/25/2013 6:00:58 PM
probably to stop japanese people from importing cheaper games (US)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#37ShadowRisaePosted 1/25/2013 6:42:58 PM
For me, region lock just means procrastination. I can and will buy multiple consoles/handhelds to play import games, since I play a lot of both US and JP games. However, I'll wait longer to buy the import games I want if the console is region locked. I want there to be a decent amount of import games I want to buy already available before I buy that region locked console or handheld.

...of course, at this point, I'm already thinking about going down the street and finally buying a Japanese 3DS (I live in Japan but only have a US 3DS).
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.
#38Second_ChancesPosted 1/25/2013 6:46:16 PM
Japanese government bribe money.
#39parKb5Posted 1/26/2013 6:20:35 AM
PokeMaster posted...
parKb5 posted...

I think there's a lot more involved than just lowering the price.
Tax, minimum wage, retailer markup, dsitribution and other related costs.
(Actually I don't know, I'm pulling out random words, hoping to hit something)

Even for digital products, Australia gets shafted. Apple/iTunes recently made news because they were basically charging Australians double for digital music.

So TC there is your answer: The region lock is in place because allows regions to charge their customers inflated prices.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 mii: Greg
#40adampeltzPosted 1/27/2013 2:39:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]