Any reason to keep my ds lite if I'm getting a 3ds?

#1Holy_OblivionPosted 1/25/2013 5:57:01 PM
Just as the topic says.
---
THIS HORN OF MINE IS BURNING RED! ITS LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU! TAKE THIS! MY AMMO, MY STAKE AND ALL OF MY CLAYMORE! ERUPTING TRUMP CARD!
#2MetalLokiPosted 1/25/2013 5:57:26 PM
To play gba games i guess.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board and
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem board.
#3RayzerTagPosted 1/25/2013 6:24:07 PM(edited)
It plays DS games in the proper resolution. On the 3DS, DS games get a little stretched out and blurry. Not nearly enough to hinder gameplay, it's just not as 'crisp'.

You can play DS games in their native resolution on the 3DS by holding start and select as you start a game, but because the 3DS has a higher resolution this creates black borders around the screen and makes the actual game rather small. I guess that on the 3DS XL this is not really an issue, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: as seen in this video, DS games in native resolution on the 3DS XL are about as big as they are on the original DS's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lP40q3DtSQ

Also, as the above poster says, it plays GBA games.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#4ShadowRisaePosted 1/25/2013 6:30:29 PM
It plays GBA games and also, if you have import DS games, you'll still need to keep it. The DS Lite is region free, but the 3DS is region locked.
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.
#5MetalLokiPosted 1/25/2013 6:32:31 PM
ShadowRisae posted...
It plays GBA games and also, if you have import DS games, you'll still need to keep it. The DS Lite is region free, but the 3DS is region locked.

3DS is not region lock on DS games, you can play Japanese DS games on an NA 3DS. DSi enhanced games like Pokemon B/W and B2/W2 are locked however.
---
#6ShadowRisaePosted 1/25/2013 6:39:22 PM
MetalLoki posted...
ShadowRisae posted...

3DS is not region lock on DS games, you can play Japanese DS games on an NA 3DS. DSi enhanced games like Pokemon B/W and B2/W2 are locked however.

I know, but considering not all DSi enhanced games aren't as blatantly obviously marked on the package (a few of mine only mention it in small text on the back), it's just easier to keep the DS Lite if you import, IMO.
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.
#7MetalLokiPosted 1/25/2013 6:55:03 PM
ShadowRisae posted...
MetalLoki posted...
ShadowRisae posted...

I know, but considering not all DSi enhanced games aren't as blatantly obviously marked on the package (a few of mine only mention it in small text on the back), it's just easier to keep the DS Lite if you import, IMO.

I really don't know any dsi games worth importing that are avalible worldwide but fine I guess that's important and I souldn't assume that he doesn't own any.
---
#8NeonYoshi11Posted 1/25/2013 8:45:43 PM
GBA games......you will regret selling it or getting rid of it within a year or 2.
#9dancer62Posted 1/25/2013 9:48:59 PM
As others have said, for GBA games, and Slot-2 peripherals. Also, if you have an Action Replay or similar, or might ever want one, or might ever want to play homebrew, Big N can't trash the DS Lite with an "antipiracy" firmware update.
---
I'm waiting for Bandai to release the WonderSwan/SwanCrystal II and blow both the Vita and the 3DS away.
#10iammaxhailmePosted 1/25/2013 9:55:02 PM
You won't get much money for a Lite anyway, and it's probably good to have a backup to play DS games on in case something happens to your 3DS.

Also, if you play Pokemon, you can trade with yourself or something!
---
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax