3DS games are so expensive :(

#61WizardofHothPosted 1/27/2013 2:15:33 PM
Blue Dragon for the DS is like how old now? the 35 dollar price range for that game is expensive and Shopko really needs to mark it down to at least 9.99.

Seriously who really plays Blue Dragon whether its for the Xbox or even for the Nintendo DS?
#62nonexistingheroPosted 1/27/2013 3:07:45 PM
They're 2 different kinds of games. The first DS game is decent and the 2nd DS game is fairly good. But the Xbox 360 game is great. At least, if you play it on hard from the free downloadable super hard mode pack. Normal is way too easy and doesn't require any strategy, but hard does require extensive knowledge and experimenting. I've never played any other RPG that was so satisfying in terms of difficulty.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#63hedgylove(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 3:22:13 PM(edited)
Thanks to everyone who's not flaming me.

I use cheapassgamer a lot, but it still seems like 3DS game sales are few and far between. Sales on the systems are everywhere, though.

And to everyone who's not American...just because games are less here doesn't mean they're any easier to afford if you have little spending money. If you're in the same situation as me, I sympathize--I don't understand the reason this weird competition that's going on. If you're broke, you're broke, no matter what country you live in.

Edit: Every PS3 game I have was purchased for $25 or less. I can be patient, but with the 3DS I don't see the prices moving at all, even after a significant amount of time has passed since release.
---
RIP Maisey, my sweet little hedgehog.
12/22/08 - 02/13/12
#64JulesNeciPosted 1/27/2013 3:40:34 PM
$39.99 is a decent price tag for a handheld game, as they don't come out that often. I get all my games day 1, physical copies, since I'm a collector and all.
I buy anywhere from 2 to around 8 video games a month, depending on my backlog, the games coming out and what I need for my collection. My job allows me to go school, pay my rent, feed myself and enough spending money, so there's that.
I suggest using ebay for used games. It's a bit work, but if you snipe things it should all be good.
#65hedgylove(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 4:08:02 PM
JulesNeci posted...
$39.99 is a decent price tag for a handheld game, as they don't come out that often. I get all my games day 1, physical copies, since I'm a collector and all.
I buy anywhere from 2 to around 8 video games a month, depending on my backlog, the games coming out and what I need for my collection. My job allows me to go school, pay my rent, feed myself and enough spending money, so there's that.
I suggest using ebay for used games. It's a bit work, but if you snipe things it should all be good.

What do you do? Waiting tables sucks. My scholarship helps, but the rest is being covered by loans for now.
---
12/22/08 - 02/13/12
#66darkstar4221Posted 1/27/2013 4:37:11 PM(edited)
JulesNeci posted...

$39.99 is a rip-off, $59.99 for a console game is also a rip-off. Tablet and smartphone games are like $13 at most. In China where they have little regards for copyright law, they sell Xbox 360 games for $1. I know one of the reasons why console and handheld games are expensive because developers have to pay a fee to the manufacturers (Sony, nintendo, MS) to use their hardware.
#67GenkiPosted 1/27/2013 4:52:24 PM
Set the wayback machine to 1979

Atari games were $25-$30 each new. If you were to account for inflation over 30 years, the same games would have been almost $80 in today's dollars. Back then, allowances were like $1 a week or less. Job were paying McMinimum of about $3 per hour before tax back then.

Today's game are much cheaper than the first 2 generations. Even the consoles are cheaper today vs over $200 for an Atari console in '79

If you can't get a job for any reason, and you don't get allowance all I can say is sorry :(
---
3DS friend code 1762-2819-7829
#68JulesNeciPosted 1/27/2013 5:02:45 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
JulesNeci posted...

$39.99 is a rip-off, $59.99 for a console game is also a rip-off. Tablet and smartphone games are like $13 at most. In China where they have little regards for copyright law, they sell Xbox 360 games for $1. I know one of the reasons why console and handheld games are expensive because developers have to pay a fee to the manufacturers (Sony, nintendo, MS) to use their hardware.

people make and sell these games to MAKE A PROFIT. If people (like me) keep buying them, they'll continue selling the games at 39.99 and 59.99. Gaming is a business, and like all other businesses, where there's demand, there's supply. Economics 101.
#69darkstar4221Posted 1/27/2013 5:03:10 PM
Genki posted...

Atari games were $25-$30 each new. If you were to account for inflation over 30 years, the same games would have been almost $80 in today's dollars. Back then, allowances were like $1 a week or less. Job were paying McMinimum of about $3 per hour before tax back then.

Today's game are much cheaper than the first 2 generations. Even the consoles are cheaper today vs over $200 for an Atari console in '79

If you can't get a job for any reason, and you don't get allowance all I can say is sorry :(

Your post doesn't make sense, of course games were "expensive" back because the industry was starting out, and technology for reproducing a game was only available to the manufacturers and it was expensive. Now with today's technology it's much easier to reproduce a game that the home user can do it (they call that piracy). And that $80 for an Atari game you just those numbers up.

To compare prices back in 1979 is COMPLETELY STUPID, it doesn't even make sense, it's irrelevant. Times are different, the economy is different this is 2013.
#70hedgylove(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 5:06:09 PM
Genki posted...

Never said I don't have a job. It doesn't make games any easier to afford. Old price schemes don't, either.
---
12/22/08 - 02/13/12