3DS games are so expensive :(

#71darkstar4221Posted 1/27/2013 6:11:08 PM(edited)
JulesNeci posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
JulesNeci posted...
$39.99 is a decent price tag for a handheld game, as they don't come out that often. I get all my games day 1, physical copies, since I'm a collector and all.
I buy anywhere from 2 to around 8 video games a month, depending on my backlog, the games coming out and what I need for my collection. My job allows me to go school, pay my rent, feed myself and enough spending money, so there's that.
I suggest using ebay for used games. It's a bit work, but if you snipe things it should all be good.

$39.99 is a rip-off, $59.99 for a console game is also a rip-off. Tablet and smartphone games are like $13 at most. In China where they have little regards for copyright law, they sell Xbox 360 games for $1. I know one of the reasons why console and handheld games are expensive because developers have to pay a fee to the manufacturers (Sony, nintendo, MS) to use their hardware.

people make and sell these games to MAKE A PROFIT. If people (like me) keep buying them, they'll continue selling the games at 39.99 and 59.99. Gaming is a business, and like all other businesses, where there's demand, there's supply. Economics 101.

Well if publishers want to see more sales, they would have to lower prices. Why do they sell Xbox 360 games for a $1 in China? Would you rather pay $1 for a video game or $60?

It's not just about economics or businesses making a profit, it's also about copyright law and access. Keep in mind you can get many ds roms on the internet and put it in a flash-cart, and you just got 60 DS games for free. Video games are bits and data and they can be easily reproduced.
#72GenkiPosted 1/27/2013 6:10:49 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
Genki posted...
Set the wayback machine to 1979

Atari games were $25-$30 each new. If you were to account for inflation over 30 years, the same games would have been almost $80 in today's dollars. Back then, allowances were like $1 a week or less. Job were paying McMinimum of about $3 per hour before tax back then.

Today's game are much cheaper than the first 2 generations. Even the consoles are cheaper today vs over $200 for an Atari console in '79

If you can't get a job for any reason, and you don't get allowance all I can say is sorry :(

Your post doesn't make sense, of course games were "expensive" back because the industry was starting out, and technology for reproducing a game was only available to the manufacturers and it was expensive. Now with today's technology it's much easier to reproduce a game that the home user can do it (they call that piracy). And that $80 for an Atari game you just those numbers up.

There's an inflation calculator, google it and punch in $25 from 1979, it'd show about $80 in today's dollar. So I'm not making the number up as you claimed. Unless somehow you don't know how to use google?

To compare prices back in 1979 is COMPLETELY STUPID, it doesn't even make sense, it's irrelevant. Times are different, the economy is different this is 2013.

Not irrelevant. If anything, the games have gotten cheaper over the years. Yes, technology has improved and the quality of the game has improved as well. I was just pointing out the games are cheap today when compared to the past.
---
3DS friend code 1762-2819-7829
#73darkstar4221Posted 1/27/2013 6:34:40 PM(edited)
Genki posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
Genki posted...
Set the wayback machine to 1979

Atari games were $25-$30 each new. If you were to account for inflation over 30 years, the same games would have been almost $80 in today's dollars. Back then, allowances were like $1 a week or less. Job were paying McMinimum of about $3 per hour before tax back then.

Today's game are much cheaper than the first 2 generations. Even the consoles are cheaper today vs over $200 for an Atari console in '79

If you can't get a job for any reason, and you don't get allowance all I can say is sorry :(

Your post doesn't make sense, of course games were "expensive" back because the industry was starting out, and technology for reproducing a game was only available to the manufacturers and it was expensive. Now with today's technology it's much easier to reproduce a game that the home user can do it (they call that piracy). And that $80 for an Atari game you just those numbers up.

There's an inflation calculator, google it and punch in $25 from 1979, it'd show about $80 in today's dollar. So I'm not making the number up as you claimed. Unless somehow you don't know how to use google?

To compare prices back in 1979 is COMPLETELY STUPID, it doesn't even make sense, it's irrelevant. Times are different, the economy is different this is 2013.

Not irrelevant. If anything, the games have gotten cheaper over the years. Yes, technology has improved and the quality of the game has improved as well. I was just pointing out the games are cheap today when compared to the past.

But you don't get it, that was 1979 that was so long ago it's completely irrelevant. Video Games are bits and data and can be easily reproduced, I can play a 1979 game on an emulator on my PC. But to the point, who cares about 1979 when video games are expensive right now. What matters is right now.

You can say the same thing about buying a music cd or a dvd-movie. Should dvd-movies stay the same price like it was in 2000? Of course not.
#74JulesNeciPosted 1/27/2013 7:15:40 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
JulesNeci posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
JulesNeci posted...
$39.99 is a decent price tag for a handheld game, as they don't come out that often. I get all my games day 1, physical copies, since I'm a collector and all.
I buy anywhere from 2 to around 8 video games a month, depending on my backlog, the games coming out and what I need for my collection. My job allows me to go school, pay my rent, feed myself and enough spending money, so there's that.
I suggest using ebay for used games. It's a bit work, but if you snipe things it should all be good.

$39.99 is a rip-off, $59.99 for a console game is also a rip-off. Tablet and smartphone games are like $13 at most. In China where they have little regards for copyright law, they sell Xbox 360 games for $1. I know one of the reasons why console and handheld games are expensive because developers have to pay a fee to the manufacturers (Sony, nintendo, MS) to use their hardware.

people make and sell these games to MAKE A PROFIT. If people (like me) keep buying them, they'll continue selling the games at 39.99 and 59.99. Gaming is a business, and like all other businesses, where there's demand, there's supply. Economics 101.

Well if publishers want to see more sales, they would have to lower prices. Why do they sell Xbox 360 games for a $1 in China? Would you rather pay $1 for a video game or $60?

It's not just about economics or businesses making a profit, it's also about copyright law and access. Keep in mind you can get many ds roms on the internet and put it in a flash-cart, and you just got 60 DS games for free. Video games are bits and data and they can be easily reproduced.

People sell 360 games for $1 in China because they didn't have to pay for copyrights. If you think 1-dollar games are helping the industry, you're completely wrong.
#7590sRetroGamingPosted 1/27/2013 7:23:44 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
hedgylove posted...
ares9090 posted...
Dump your GF, problem solved

We split the cost of rent, utilities, gas, etc. Not only do I not want to dump her because I care for her, but we'd have to break our lease--which is something like $1300.

Sometimes I think GFAQs is full of kids who have never seen a bill in their lives :(

It was a joke dude, chill out.

In his defense he's right. alot of users on here who talk s*** don't have responsibilities yet. no bills, no taxes and whatever else always in their way. some people will naturally take offense to that. not everyone can tell when people are joking on here or not. sometimes i can and sometimes i cannot.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#76NeonYoshi11Posted 1/27/2013 8:11:04 PM
Dude NES games used to be $40...

Deal with it.
#77hedgylove(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 9:25:25 PM
90sRetroGaming posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
hedgylove posted...
ares9090 posted...

We split the cost of rent, utilities, gas, etc. Not only do I not want to dump her because I care for her, but we'd have to break our lease--which is something like $1300.

Sometimes I think GFAQs is full of kids who have never seen a bill in their lives :(

In his defense he's right. alot of users on here who talk s*** don't have responsibilities yet. no bills, no taxes and whatever else always in their way. some people will naturally take offense to that. not everyone can tell when people are joking on here or not. sometimes i can and sometimes i cannot.

I wasn't mad. I don't think I could get mad over a message board. I just wish I could be free of responsibilities like so many users here. They have no idea what they're in for once they graduate high school and their part-time jobs don't pay enough.

And for the record I'm female.
---
RIP Maisey, my sweet little hedgehog.
12/22/08 - 02/13/12
#78RocketZXbluePosted 1/27/2013 9:38:20 PM
i don't think 40$ is expensive, no 60$ is expensive and that's why I don't buy games for my ps3 much D:
#79SkyminxyzPosted 1/29/2013 6:12:31 PM
hedgylove posted...
90sRetroGaming posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
hedgylove posted...
ares9090 posted...

I wasn't mad. I don't think I could get mad over a message board. I just wish I could be free of responsibilities like so many users here. They have no idea what they're in for once they graduate high school and their part-time jobs don't pay enough.

And for the record I'm female.

Eh, personally you gotta be a fool if you finished HS and only get a part time job..Seeing how you didn't mention college. [Its also there own fault if their complaining about money issues, yet staying on campus as well.]

On another note, I personally don't think it would be hard if I get a job after I'm fully done with school related stuff. Easiest way is simply find a apartment that comes with free water (as in no water bill) which there are quite a few around my parent's house.Then over time (and saved up money, you can then rent a house, etc.

This is much easier of course without a family, but any logical person wouldn't already be a parent at like 20...and if the person already is, it's there own fault if they have money problems.

<.< May sound "naive" but in my book, as long as you look things threw rationally, It doesn't seem like it would be too tough personally. And this is coming from someone in his late teens already (so I'm not some Middle school punk.)
---
Official Oshawott of the Pokemon BW 2 Boards
"Stating your opinion on GameFaqs is a declaration of war" - anonymous.
#80QuantumWolfPosted 1/29/2013 11:10:08 PM
They may be expensive, but at least they're not as expensive as home console games.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3740-3024-4512