Does anybody prefer the GBA over the 3DS?

#21jedinatPosted 1/27/2013 1:10:55 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Can you really consider what a system does via homebrew illegally something that makes it better? I mean using your logic the Dreamcast was the best system ever. All the games were free and it plays NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, etc. You don't even have to mod or jailbreak it.

Look at the title of this thread. It's not about what is objectively/obscurely "better", it's about what you prefer.
#22n00bsaib0tPosted 1/27/2013 1:12:22 AM
Look at the title of this thread. It's not about what is objectively/obscurely "better", it's about what you prefer.

So you base the worth of a system based on what it can do illegally?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#23RazieruPosted 1/27/2013 1:17:40 AM
^ That's basically what he's saying, which still does nothing to validate the worth of any hardware.
---
So....New Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released as FREE DLC for New Super Mario Bros.?!
#24jedinatPosted 1/27/2013 1:19:49 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...

So you base the worth of a system based on what it can do illegally?

I base the worth of a system based on what it can do, period. For example, the PSP can run fan translated GBA and PS1 games that never made it to the US. It can play undubbed games with VA performances better than the horrible English ones from the 90s. It can play games where fans have improved the translation. It can play modded games. It can play actual arcade games. It can play rare games you'd never be able to find otherwise. Etc. Etc. Etc.
#25amishpriestPosted 1/27/2013 1:54:57 AM(edited)
Strictly in terms of form factor. The original GBA was far more comfortable to hold than the 3DS.
#26SytherantisPosted 1/27/2013 3:17:01 AM
Even after all these years, I still feel a bit bitter at the GBA; I feel there was never a definitive version of it.

The GBA-SP was the closest it came, but that was missing a headphone jack!

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

...Ahh, sorry, I've got to stop thinking about it.

The GBA was an amazing system, though. It had just the right level of power that games had to be fun and not rely on hardware gimmicks or graphics.
---
Friends don't let friends buy digital clothes with real money.
#27ChipspiratePosted 1/27/2013 3:52:20 AM
Its my most beloved Nintendo Handheld.

I grew up with it. Many great game series started on it (Gyakuten Saiban for example).
Also it got EXE.

GBA > DS > 3DS.

but they all rock and the 3DS will be no exception.

Ninty is just a good system maker.
---
mail: tinyurl.com/pascmail
#28CressDXXPosted 1/27/2013 4:11:29 AM
for me its
GBA SP>DSI XL>3DS XL>PSP
---
3DS FC: 4425-1804-8511
XBOX360 GT: CressDX
#29Dark_Link92Posted 1/27/2013 4:36:28 AM
Nah, as much as I loved my GBA and SP, I prefer the 3DS. There were only a handful of non-Pokemon games I enjoyed on GBA.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#30chaomaster4000Posted 1/27/2013 5:41:07 AM
The GBA to me remains the last truly portable system. That's not just referring to form factor, although the GBMicro does top that any day of the week as it fits into literally any pocket; I mean in terms of the games on the GBA. The GBA has tons of games which are really "pick up and play" titles - Kuru Kuru Kururin, Chu Chu Rocket, WarioWare, tons of platform games, etc etc.

Since then portables games have taken a bit of a swifter turn to try and be console experiences that you can carry around, which I don't like so much. The DS is still far better than the 3DS in this way, as Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright and similar "interactive novel with gameplay segments" (which I must admit I really enjoy) pioneered a new pick up and play style which works. With the 3DS though, most of the retail games to me seem like console experiences on a smaller device, and the "pick up and play" compromise that results is worked around by allowing a sleep mode at all times, which to me doesn't really deal with the issue as you are still often pausing in the middle of something.

If Nintendo released a thinner and perhaps slightly revised version of the GBMicro with a larger screen (the device would have no need for a game cartridge slot) which had a convenient digital VC-esque game store accessed at any time through the device itself, that for me would be the pinnacle of portable gaming. That'll never happen, but damn I wish it would!
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"