Whats the point in the touch screen anymore

#1squidcowPosted 1/27/2013 12:26:52 AM
Out of the games I own on the 3ds neither of them use the touch screen for gameplay and only for menus. I'll admit that navigating menus with the touch screen is a nice touch but I don't see the screen getting alot of use gameplay wise.
#2jedinatPosted 1/27/2013 12:28:24 AM
It's more about having 2 screens than being touch screen. You WANT touch gameplay? Touch gameplay is crap.
#3DarkLink346Posted 1/27/2013 12:34:09 AM
Are these become fad topics or was this serious?

I actually like the way the two DS Zelda games controlled. Never had any issues, always felt smooth. Other games like Professor Layton and Theaterthym control well with the touch screen. I don't see anything wrong with touch controls done right.
---
Use the damn search button!
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki
#4jedinatPosted 1/27/2013 12:43:28 AM
DarkLink346 posted...
I actually like the way the two DS Zelda games controlled. Never had any issues, always felt smooth.

Well, it's never going to happen again, thankfully. All screens are not created equal on the 3DS. There's a reason the top one is widescreen and 3D, while the bottom isn't.
#5CronoDynePosted 1/27/2013 1:13:16 AM
jedinat posted...
It's more about having 2 screens than being touch screen. You WANT touch gameplay? Touch gameplay is crap.

If they're going to implement a touchscreen, then they should make substantial use of the touchscreen. Otherwise, as the TC asked, what's the point? I can't think of many games on the 3DS that actually NEEDED the touchscreen. OoT maybe, as extra buttons, but even then you can make do without it. Right now, had the bottom screen been a peripheral, it'd be in the same trash bin as the Expansion Pak, the Wii Motion+, and the Circle Pad Pro.

DarkLink346 posted...
Are these become fad topics or was this serious?

I actually like the way the two DS Zelda games controlled. Never had any issues, always felt smooth. Other games like Professor Layton and Theaterthym control well with the touch screen. I don't see anything wrong with touch controls done right.

The TC isn't saying anything about touch controls done right, he's asking the point. The Zelda games could have easily used (and would mostly have benefited from) D-Pad movement.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#6Kaze_MemaryuPosted 1/27/2013 2:31:46 AM
I'd like to see how TWEWY would've been executed with only buttons...
Touch controls allow for faster menu control and nice little additions you couldn't possibly solve with buttons only. It's the dev's fault to not utilize this possibility.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#7AllaudeenPosted 1/27/2013 3:00:53 AM
KI:U utilizes the Touchscreen if you do adapt to its control style.
The touchscreenjust prevents clutter on the upper screen which is good
#8SosdocPosted 1/27/2013 3:20:45 AM
The touch screen is the DS legacy, it has to be there for backwards compatibility.

To be honest, the extra screen isn't that bad, you get less clutter where the action is, and you can have easy access to extra info and controls if you need to.
Many games don't make a great use of it, but to be honest, do you think all games should force on you touch controls or stuff you don't want to use?
#9Big_IsaacPosted 1/27/2013 3:21:47 AM
the best use of the touch screen is virtual buttons like the inventory system in OoT 3D and menus in general. that's what it is good at and that's what it should be used for. I think we've had more than enough gimmicky games like TWEWY and Zelda DS that got ruined or at least hampered by an over-reliance on the touch screen
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#10ChipspiratePosted 1/27/2013 3:54:30 AM
'It's more about having 2 screens than being touch screen. You WANT touch gameplay? Touch gameplay is crap.'

Tell that to Elite Beat Agents/Ouedan, Ninja Gaiden, Touch Hockey, Metroid, Its a wonderful world etc.

There are many great touchscreen games, and why would you not want to have 2 options instead of just one ?
---
mail: tinyurl.com/pascmail