What makes the Animal Crossing franchise so popular?

#31hedgylovePosted 1/27/2013 5:09:50 PM
Because for once, you actually complete the payments on your mortgage.
---
RIP Maisey, my sweet little hedgehog.
12/22/08 - 02/13/12
#32ferofaxPosted 1/27/2013 5:18:36 PM
People who like this game probably enjoyed the sandbox best when they were kids. Or Spongebob's box. From what I gather, people who didn't like it prefer insta-feedback games. They press a button and expect an immediate reaction -- rapid fire, loud bangs, flashy lights, the roar of nitroboost, etc. They are disappointed when they press a button and nothing immediate happens.

It's just preference, really.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#33shmirlywhirlPosted 1/27/2013 5:54:46 PM
WhiteLens posted...
Ragnaknite posted...
I'm sure there's a better fruit selling simulator out there.

You're right, it's called Harvest Moon.

Fortunately Animal Crossing is not a fruit selling simulator, and to top it off, New Leaf is more of a town building simulator by the way it looks.

You better not be insulting Harvest Moon.

A New Begining has a customizable town, and as far as I know was released first.
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#34Delirious_BeardPosted 1/27/2013 6:01:28 PM
Because it can be completely addicting. For a while. After that I usually stop playing it for years. Then...I suddenly get the urge to play it again and the cycle repeats.
---
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7330305182_5b3fefe54c_o.gif
http://i34.tinypic.com/adnlsk.jpg http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcjibxsGMv1renuivo1_400.gif
#35WhiteLensPosted 1/28/2013 6:35:25 PM
shmirlywhirl posted...
WhiteLens posted...
Ragnaknite posted...
I'm sure there's a better fruit selling simulator out there.

You're right, it's called Harvest Moon.

Fortunately Animal Crossing is not a fruit selling simulator, and to top it off, New Leaf is more of a town building simulator by the way it looks.

You better not be insulting Harvest Moon.

A New Begining has a customizable town, and as far as I know was released first.

I'm not, I actually like Harvest Moon a lot and am fully aware that it's really a waifu simulator with farming aspects to get money.
---
Only on GameFAQs would criticallly acclaimed PC games lose to niche JRPGs
Go Us!
#36NettoSaitoPosted 1/28/2013 7:32:42 PM
The original game was pretty outstanding for its time. It was a "living world" that continued to live with our without you playing it, and it also allowed people to live out a virtual life. Don't forget that a lot of people who got into the series were kids when it first came out on the GCN all them years ago, and it basically allowed them to live the life of an adult without actually having any worries. When WW hit the DS however; everything changed.

Personally I can see why people won't get into the games, but WW was as good as you wanted to make it. As for myself, I maxed out my friends list, there were people with their gates always opened, I got to meet/talk to/hang out with a lot of people I would have never met otherwise, got to see a lot of pretty cool towns and houses, got to play games with them which we made up as we played the game, and sometimes you would run across a hackers town which had things that would normally be impossible to do.

It was a massive social network game, and when you mix that with Nintendo Nsider (which it seems the Nintendo fans of today have no idea about), Nintendo's WFC site, as well as fan sites and services such as nook bay (ebay for animal crossing), the game really did have a lot to offer.

While on its own WW wasn't really that big, but when you have access to hundreds of towns and other players, it becomes amazing. People would have their friends lists full of people to visit, and each one of them would have their friends list full, and each of them friends of friends would have their friends lists full. Basically you could get in contact with millions of people if you were friends with the right people, and that's what made it fun.

Same thing goes for CF, but since it was on a console, things didn't work out quite as well as it did on the DS. It was a lot easier to just log into a DS game which you could freely pick up/have running as you did other things, than it was to turn on your Wii and take up your TV with it. CF's online just didn't get as big, and I couldn't get into it.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#37Xenesis XenonPosted 1/28/2013 10:27:32 PM
I found the later releases a lot more difficult to get into, but I played a lot of the Gamecube version.

I suppose I had the bonus of playing with my brother. We'd visit each other's towns and plant pitfalls/sell items to each other and all that shenanigans.

And yeah, it was a non-stressful way to build and enjoy something.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#38Reverted_PikkonPosted 1/28/2013 10:33:46 PM
Wild World on the DS is just so damn good. It's been declining since then. But I really want the 3DS game.
---
The wind... it is... blowing... -Ganondorf
#39RazieruPosted 1/28/2013 10:34:54 PM
adampeltz posted...
TC, I'm with you. I can't understand the appeal. I've tried it for a few weeks, and even played online based on GameFAQs recommendations. The whole premise felt shallow.

I need some actual game play in my video games. Collecting trinkets and mowing the lawn is as dull in a video game as it is in real life. I simply have standards.

---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.