Questions about sleep mode and recharging the battery.

#1littlecletusPosted 1/27/2013 9:08:26 AM
Just picked up a 3DS XL a couple days ago and I am in such happy shock about what a great little piece of tech it is. I am very happy with the purchase, but I have a couple questions.

Last night I got a message about some new Nintendo Videos being available or whatever. Now I am not interested in these videos, but the message said I could download the videos while the 3DS was in sleepmode....it even suggested that I put the 3DS in sleepmode overnight to download the videos, while I sleep.
How much power would the 3DS burn through if I left it in sleepmode that long....like 7+ hours? That seems excessive and maybe not too good for the machine. But Nintendo is telling me to do it......so I am asking for info from folks who own one.

Also, is there any bad effect to leaving the 3DS plugged in and charging for hours after the machine is fully charged?
If I plug it in to charge overnight and it only actually takes 3 hours to charge but is plugged in for 7 hours, does this have any bad effect on the machine of overall life of the battery? Seems to me, someone who knows nothing about this stuff, that this might lower the battery's lifetime.

Thanks in advance for reading this mini-novel and for any answers.
---
Are you a bug, Bill Murray?
#2PokeMasterPosted 1/27/2013 9:13:55 AM
1. 3DS lasts up to 3 days in sleep mode.
2. It is safe to always leave the 3DS on charge.
3. It is safe to charge overnight.
4. It's better for the battery to be kept charged instead of draining.

That's the short version, longer version coming up.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#3PokeMasterPosted 1/27/2013 9:16:45 AM
Basically with li-on batteries, the lower depth of discharge between recharging helps to prolong the battery life. (ie; charge whenever possible and DO NOT LET THEM DRAIN TO RED)

It is almost impossible to overcharge li-on batteries also, so leaving it charging overnight is perfectly fine. The battery will charge up to 100%, drain to about 95% (which is why if you pick it up then put it back down it will charge for a bit more), and then run off mains power so the battery is not being used at all.

Also, this applies to any electronic device that uses li-on batteries (ie; basically anything in the past 10 years).
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#4littlecletus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 9:24:11 AM
Excellent info. Thanks!
---
Are you a bug, Bill Murray?
#5Final Fantasy2389Posted 1/27/2013 9:28:47 AM
PokeMaster with some great info. Just to quickly add, the 3DS is meant to be left on. That way you can receive spotpasses over night from Nintendo (notifications and such) and when walking around you'll get streetpasses if have that activated. The battery is fine. I've only turned my system off probably about 10 times since getting it on launch and my battery is still as good as when I got it from what I can tell.
---
Former WWE Diva & BJJ Blue Belt. Smart. Sexy. Powerful. Eve Torres <3
http://bit.ly/J38z1u | http://bit.ly/KIjaFT