Moving Data Between SD Cards... Will it Work?

#1TreatSwooshPosted 1/27/2013 11:55:52 AM
I have with me the default 3DS SD card, but not the system itself. If I were to purchase a new 3DS, would I be able to move data from the SD card onto my new 3DS'? Also, what data will be transferred?

My computer doesn't have an SD slot but my printer does, so can I still do the transfer that way? Last time I tried I lost all my SD card data...
#2keyblader1985Posted 1/27/2013 12:02:07 PM
Your wording is slightly confusing; the only thing you can transfer between the SD card and the actual system is DSiWare. But for transferring between SD cards, all you need is the cards themselves. It's just like Copy/Pasting on a computer. As long as your computer has a USB slot, you can get an SD card reader for like $5.

But I have no idea how that would work with a printer involved.
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#3JoeHigashi2000Posted 1/27/2013 12:04:31 PM
TreatSwoosh posted...
I have with me the default 3DS SD card, but not the system itself. If I were to purchase a new 3DS, would I be able to move data from the SD card onto my new 3DS'? Also, what data will be transferred?

My computer doesn't have an SD slot but my printer does, so can I still do the transfer that way? Last time I tried I lost all my SD card data...

If your printer formatted your SD card the last time you tried using it as an SD card reader I wouldn't try it again.
---
GT: J03HIG45HI PS3/Vita: JoeHigashi2000 3DS: 0817-3804-7210
#4PokeMasterPosted 1/27/2013 12:06:00 PM
You seem to be asking different things.

1 - If you buy a new 3DS can you transfer your data from old 3DS to new (including SD card)?
1A - Yes, use the system transfer tool. All data will be transferred from 3DS A to 3DS B.

2 - Can you copy and paste from SD Card A to SD Card B?
2A - Yes, as long as it's used in the same 3DS.

I doubt you can with your printer, but do you have a digital camera around? Or anything that lets you access the SD card while plugged in to a computer.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#5JonbazookabozPosted 1/27/2013 12:10:36 PM
If you dont have the original 3ds to perform a transfer then no nothing at all will work on new 3ds.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#6TreatSwoosh(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 5:29:28 PM
PokeMaster posted...

1 - If you buy a new 3DS can you transfer your data from old 3DS to new (including SD card)?
1A - Yes, use the system transfer tool. All data will be transferred from 3DS A to 3DS B.

I doubt you can with your printer, but do you have a digital camera around? Or anything that lets you access the SD card while plugged in to a computer.

I mostly just want to transfer my games and applications (PokÚDex 3D, etc.) Can I do this with a digital camera?
#7PokeMasterPosted 1/27/2013 5:51:08 PM
Yeah you should be able to copy and paste the files off your SD card onto another SD card using your camera.

And just in case:

- Put SD Card A into Digital Camera
-Connect camera to PC
-Open up My Computer -> x:\ (or whatever the drive is)
-Copy EVERYTHING and paste it somewhere safe (like the desktop)
-Disconnect camera, swap new SD card into camera, reconnect camera
-Copy the folder from desktop onto SD card.
-Put SD card back into original 3DS and you're good to go
---
#8GenkiPosted 1/27/2013 6:02:35 PM
TreatSwoosh posted...
PokeMaster posted...

I mostly just want to transfer my games and applications (PokÚDex 3D, etc.) Can I do this with a digital camera?

With the camera plugged into your computer, if it shows up in Windows Explorer or in Mac OS, you can transfer the data on SD card.

I got an 8GB card because the original 2GB was too small. You can just copy & paste from old card to new card, it'll work fine in the 3DS.

If you want to move stuff from one 3DS to other 3DS, you need to use the transfer tool in 3DS instead. All DLC will be transferred to the new 3DS. Yes, all. Not one or 3 games, all has to be transferred in one go.
---
3DS friend code 1762-2819-7829
#9ferofaxPosted 1/27/2013 10:44:52 PM(edited)
Everybody's confused. Let's see:
A.) He has an SD card from a 3DS.
B.) He wants to buy another 3DS.
C.) He thinks stuff from the old 3DS will carry over to the new 3DS simply by plugging in the old SD card.

Fact: You cannot just switch one (1) SD card between two (2) 3DS units. The second 3DS will recognize the SD card as from another 3DS and will most likely ask you to format it for the second 3DS, which means you lose everything from the first 3DS. I cannot confirm if this is what a second 3DS will do to an SD card, but I can assure you that software data from the first will NOT transfer to the second using this method.

You can, however, use a 3DS transfer tool. It's a bit complicated and requires you to have both systems on hand and online (fast internet strongly recommended). Both 3DS will likely require an SD card each, but I cannot confirm this.

Also, personal data like pictures and videos will remain untouched on the SD card. The only unit-sensitive files there are inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#10PokeMasterPosted 1/27/2013 10:42:44 PM
@ferofax, see post #4. >.>
---