Forgot how easy SML2 is

#11n00bsaib0tPosted 1/27/2013 2:09:58 PM
Untrue.

The Carrot/Bunny Ear powerup from Super Mario Land 2 doesn't at all make the game "easier". It allows the player to reach some areas that Mario ordinarily wouldn't be able to without, but the descent rate is high, and (barring jumping on an enemy) there isn't a way to boost your height beyond the level of the initial jump.

In short, it's like the Raccoon Tail without the ability to fly or tailswipe. Add to that the level design (which by and large is far less "open" in many many places)... and you have the reality. Anyone who thinks they can grab a carrot and "glide" their way to victory is sorely mistaken.

It makes falling slower, thus makes platforming easier. It's the same reason people say the Raccoon suit breaks SM3DL and NSMB2 despite not being able to fly with it.

That is why I said flying or gliding, because SM3DL and NSMB2 are considered to be very easy entries and you can't fly in them, just glide.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#12legendarylemurPosted 1/27/2013 2:11:34 PM
I remember back in the days I really couldn't beat SML1 for the life of me. Then I picked it up like 10 or so years later and beat it in 1 try. It was like the buttons of my old GBC spoke to me.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Catch the Rainbow
#13IHeartMetroidPosted 1/27/2013 2:36:31 PM
"It makes falling slower, thus makes platforming easier"

It really doesn't. It actually makes it harder, because of SML2 physics. You see, Mario has a very floaty, accurate jump, but when you use the Ears, what ends up happening is that instead of the standard arc of movement (where you can slow the movement by using the Dpad) you end up basically rushing forward on whatever inertia Mario had, leading the player to end up bumping into enemies or off platforms.

This is also the problem in the Space Zone and the Hippo Bubble Level as well.

All that the carrot really is good for is slowing descent just enough to allow the player to each some far away secret level exits.