XL or Regular 3DS?

#21LeranoisPosted 1/27/2013 6:13:34 PM
I have both, and honestly I have trouble deciding which one I like better. The massive screens are obviously the big selling point on the XL, but there are a few drawbacks compared to the original 3DS:

-The XL is much larger and 40% heavier than the original. It's nowhere near as easy to slip it into a pocket, and it can start to feel heavy if you play for a long time.

-The speakers on the XL are considerably quieter at max volume. This is something that I immediately notice every time I switch back to my original 3DS. You may need headphones in situations where they wouldn't be necessary with an original 3DS.

-The pixels on the XL screens are huge. You will notice more jagged edges. It's something you can get used to, but if you switch back and forth between an XL and an original 3DS, you will definitely notice that the tighter pixel density on the original looks nicer. Of course, the trade-off is that the screens are a lot smaller.

-I find that crosstalk is a lot more noticeable on the XL, and that the sweet spot is a little bit harder to find and keep. This may be due to the sheer size of the screen.

That all being said, the XL is probably the better choice if you plan to play DS games on your 3DS. As Burning_Breeze said, the 1:1 (native) pixel mode on the XL will display DS games at close to the size of the original DS screens, whereas on the original 3DS, DS games in 1:1 mode look really tiny.
---
Stop the world, I want to get off!
#22RocketZXbluePosted 1/27/2013 9:47:24 PM
if you're gonna spam playcoins i'd get the smaller one cause shaking the XL hurts your wrist after 10 minutes...
other than that XL all the way.
#23TehTrumpCardPosted 1/27/2013 11:02:57 PM
For anyone complaining about the XL not being able to fit into you pocket.

It fits into normal jeans just fine. Either stop wearing skinnies or stop complaining that it's large.

Also you don't notice any screen stretching except for maybe Pokemon (outside of battle) and even then you'll get used to it.

It's all about that XL life.
---
...Life is tedious if it ain't flowing...
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#24Faustavus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 1:16:52 AM
Leranois posted...
I have both, and honestly I have trouble deciding which one I like better. The massive screens are obviously the big selling point on the XL, but there are a few drawbacks compared to the original 3DS:

-The XL is much larger and 40% heavier than the original. It's nowhere near as easy to slip it into a pocket, and it can start to feel heavy if you play for a long time.

-The speakers on the XL are considerably quieter at max volume. This is something that I immediately notice every time I switch back to my original 3DS. You may need headphones in situations where they wouldn't be necessary with an original 3DS.

-The pixels on the XL screens are huge. You will notice more jagged edges. It's something you can get used to, but if you switch back and forth between an XL and an original 3DS, you will definitely notice that the tighter pixel density on the original looks nicer. Of course, the trade-off is that the screens are a lot smaller.

-I find that crosstalk is a lot more noticeable on the XL, and that the sweet spot is a little bit harder to find and keep. This may be due to the sheer size of the screen.

That all being said, the XL is probably the better choice if you plan to play DS games on your 3DS. As Burning_Breeze said, the 1:1 (native) pixel mode on the XL will display DS games at close to the size of the original DS screens, whereas on the original 3DS, DS games in 1:1 mode look really tiny.

I don't mind a little heft to it. I also don't travel with my handheld games, so not worried about packing it anywhere.

That's probably the worst part. SO the sound is really that bad? Okay how about this. How is the volume on the 3DS as complared to the DS Lite?

That's another thing.. I really don't want to look at a pixelated screen, I'm just worried being able to see the flaws easier I won't be able to look past it and it will end up driving me up a wall.

Crosstalk? Sweet spot? If you mean the sweet spot for the 3D, then that is a non issue, I have no intention of using the 3D.
#25RocketZXbluePosted 1/28/2013 1:39:01 AM
TehTrumpCard posted...
It fits into normal jeans just fine. Either stop wearing skinnies or stop complaining that it's large.
I don't wear "skinnies" I was wearing jeans that fit me properly, not tight or loose. the step counter doesn't count up as fast, when I wore my pajamas at home and walked around i got more steps
the only reason this happens is because the XL doesn't move in my jean pocket as much
i'm pretty sure a smaller 3ds wouldn't do that.
I love the bigger size of the XL when i'm using it though, no problems there.
and I REALLY don't wanna put my 3DS in my backpack, yeah that's surely gonna get it stolen...

#26RocketZXbluePosted 1/28/2013 1:45:04 AM(edited)
Faustavus posted...

I don't mind a little heft to it. I also don't travel with my handheld games, so not worried about packing it anywhere.

That's probably the worst part. SO the sound is really that bad? Okay how about this. How is the volume on the 3DS as complared to the DS Lite?

That's another thing.. I really don't want to look at a pixelated screen, I'm just worried being able to see the flaws easier I won't be able to look past it and it will end up driving me up a wall.

Crosstalk? Sweet spot? If you mean the sweet spot for the 3D, then that is a non issue, I have no intention of using the 3D.

I dunno who said the sound is bad THE SOUND IS NOT BAD AT ALL mine sounds just like my friends 3DS did, the max volume is a little lower that's all, it's still loud enough for me to hear everything CLEARLY, no static or whatever problems at all. and compared to the orignal DS (not the lite) it's like 3x louder (I just checked this as i'm posting this)
and the screen? I honestly like it better on a bigger screen, the 3DS games look pretty good and look BETTER on a bigger screen. the flaws in graphics you'd probably notice on the regular 3DS anyways so it doesn't matter much...
#27ceedofevilPosted 1/28/2013 1:56:07 AM
TehTrumpCard posted...

Also you don't notice any screen stretching except for maybe Pokemon (outside of battle) and even then you'll get used to it.

NOT EVERYONE WEARS THE SAME *BLEEP* SIZE, LET ALONE PANTS! Some people just have no *bleep* sense.
---
An apology for the devil: It must be remembered that we have only heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.
-George Herbert
#28belsayden777Posted 1/28/2013 2:01:47 AM
ceedofevil posted...
TehTrumpCard posted...

NOT EVERYONE WEARS THE SAME *BLEEP* SIZE, LET ALONE PANTS! Some people just have no *bleep* sense.

Wtf do discussion on the XL always turn into goddamn arguments about whether they fit into pants or not? WTF CARES.
#29belsayden777Posted 1/28/2013 2:06:56 AM
RocketZXblue posted...
Faustavus posted...

I dunno who said the sound is bad THE SOUND IS NOT BAD AT ALL mine sounds just like my friends 3DS did, the max volume is a little lower that's all, it's still loud enough for me to hear everything CLEARLY, no static or whatever problems at all. and compared to the orignal DS (not the lite) it's like 3x louder (I just checked this as i'm posting this)
and the screen? I honestly like it better on a bigger screen, the 3DS games look pretty good and look BETTER on a bigger screen. the flaws in graphics you'd probably notice on the regular 3DS anyways so it doesn't matter much...

I see quite a bit of talk about it. I just wish I could hear for myself.