The touch screen seems really pointless

#1Super SlashPosted 1/28/2013 1:14:41 AM
Certain games are probably impossible to play without it, true, but those are few and far between (TWEWY is the only one I can think of that would be literally impossible to play with buttons alone). But for most games, it's either optional or just feels like a gimmick. It rarely feels like it was properly implemented. I will admit though, they're good for things like removing clutter from the top screen (Chrono Trigger, for example).

Thoughts?
#2legendarylemurPosted 1/28/2013 1:19:02 AM
Nah, you're heavily underestimating the 3DS touch screen. Touch screen smooths out gameplay if the console using it has 2 screens. In RPGs, a good deal of the game is browsing through the menu. Facilitate the usage of menu, you facilitate a good deal of the game. That's just one example of one genre, but touch screen is definitely not pointless.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Catch the Rainbow
#3IHeartMetroidPosted 1/28/2013 1:22:38 AM
troll topic.

0/10, was lame when it was first thought up back in the early days of the first DS.
#4Super Slash(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 1:25:46 AM
legendarylemur posted...
Nah, you're heavily underestimating the 3DS touch screen. Touch screen smooths out gameplay if the console using it has 2 screens. In RPGs, a good deal of the game is browsing through the menu. Facilitate the usage of menu, you facilitate a good deal of the game. That's just one example of one genre, but touch screen is definitely not pointless.

Hmm, perhaps. I suppose I was more referring to games that actually make use of its functions beyond simple menu browsing and stuff, while not feeling too gimmicky. If that makes sense.

IHeartMetroid posted...
troll topic.

0/10, was lame when it was first thought up back in the early days of the first DS.

Aaaand you win the "Predicted Reply" award for the night. Congratulations!
#5CrybabyloverPosted 1/28/2013 1:31:52 AM
Metroid Prime Hunters and Kid Icarus are good uses. It really is the closest thing to emulating the keyboard + mouse combo. Not to mention rhythm games. Lots of devs used the touchscreen really well, around the DS era. 3DS has a primary focus on traditional gaming because of the 3D, though.
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
[3DS FC: 1289-8445-3650] | [NNID: xShiga] | [PSN: Shiga2714] | [Steam: xxshigaxx]
#6IHeartMetroidPosted 1/28/2013 2:03:19 AM
"Aaaand you win the "Predicted Reply" award for the night. Congratulations!"

It's easy to make a troll topic and "predict" the replies you'll get. As Crybabylover pointed, out, myraid games used the touch screen in fantastic ways. And not just in Metroid Prime Hunters or Kid Icarus, either- one can mention the entire Ace Attorney Series, Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Trace Memory, Professor Layton, Scribblenauts, 999/ Zero Escape, Etrian Odyssey, Dementium... And those are just a tiny sampling of them, a fraction of the games that obliterate the original post's assertions.

Quite frankly, this is a troll topic, one that hasn't had any point to it since developers started to understand how best to take advantage of the DS touchscreen's strengths.

Again-

0/10.
#7nonexistingheroPosted 1/28/2013 2:13:04 AM
There are plenty of games where touch-screen functionality improves the gameplay quite a bit. If you disagree you're just trolling.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#8Shuo_RagnarokPosted 1/28/2013 2:15:36 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
There are plenty of games where touch-screen functionality improves the gameplay quite a bit. If you disagree you're just trolling.

I wouldn't call it trolling so much as just them having a different opinion, which everyone is entitled to. Some people simply don't see touch-screen play as useful as others, regardless of the game. It's either going to feel gimmicky, inconvenient, or forced.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:4084-3346-5023
3DS FC: 5069-3924-4114
#9IHeartMetroidPosted 1/28/2013 2:25:35 AM(edited)
"I wouldn't call it trolling so much as just them having a different opinion, which everyone is entitled to. "

Nah.

It's just trolling.

Do you really think anyone here actually believes that games like Scribblenauts or Professor Layton would be more fun with just the Dpad?

I didn't think so.
#10GenericName9Posted 1/28/2013 2:39:27 AM
I Love the touchscreen, it's like having extra buttons, for example in an FPS game you could have a touch icon for every single weapon in the game, or set it up so that you could pull up a quick chat keyboard in your game. It can be whatever you want it to be, the only limit is imagination, anyone who does'nt see the possibilities does'nt have much of an imagination. Some games that are built totally around touch screen stylus gameplay like Trauma Center are some of the funnest games I've played. I Love the way Zelda is set up, you have your map and item stuff right there, all you have to to do is touch certain items it's like having 4 more buttons, in Resident evil I use my thumb on the screen to look around it's like another analog stick. It just adds better ways for the player to interface with the game, and eliminates redundant actions. It can be anything though, whatever it's programmed to be, why would someone think that's not useful? Right now I'm using the DS browser, my top screen shows the page, the bottom is the keyboard I'm typing on with my stylus, it's sexy, imagine that in a multiplayer RPG or FPS game.

I don't know why I'm bothering I think TC is trolling, but I Love it so much Hell yeah I'll bite I can't say enough good things about it.
---
If you were a boss I'd deathmatch ya in a minute!