so the XL is the exact same price as regular 3DS at best buy right now...

#21DogscratchPosted 1/28/2013 1:31:31 PM
notacos posted...
-same resolution yet bigger screen
-crappy build quality, back plates are loose, cheap materials
-awful speakers
-you would have to import a cpp & it's huge if you want a second analog

In my opinion those aren't worth the 2 positives...
-larger screen
-better stylus placement

No arguments about your above list, have seen some stories of loose plates - that would pretty well be the only consistent hardware flaw i've seen granted neither mine nor any of my friends/nieces/nephews who have one appear to have this issue. To help the earlier poster make his decision

To add to list of drawbacks one may also consider:
Weight - now going away from the girly hand thing, 11.9 oz is fairly hefty compared to 8.1 oz
3DS XL 336 Grams (11.9 oz)
3DS 230 Grams (8.1 oz)

46% increase in weight to the XL

To your list of benefits, one may want to consider:
-better battery life, while you may say 30 minutes to an hour is nothing - with a mobile device every minute counts. I'd like to get another hour worth of media playing out of my phone if it was a cheap option. In any mobile device any increase in battery life is a good thing.

-Matte Finish - ever since I got a glossy DS Lite (White and Black..) I have hated how smudgey fingerprints have gotten on it. I traded away my White DS Lite for a red/black version, I really hated the smudges that much. Matte is a huge benefit.

-I personally find it easier for the 3d effect to "pop" for me on the 3ds XL, some people notice similar issues, others don't, it appears to be a personal/subjective thing.
---
Machine meat and Blood in an intimate relationship
The new superior more effective then all the preceding
#22notacosPosted 1/28/2013 1:40:29 PM
Dogscratch posted...
notacos posted...
-awful speakers

-larger screen
-better stylus placement

No arguments about your above list, have seen some stories of loose plates - that would pretty well be the only consistent hardware flaw i've seen granted neither mine nor any of my friends/nieces/nephews who have one appear to have this issue. To help the earlier poster make his decision

Weight - now going away from the girly hand thing, 11.9 oz is fairly hefty compared to 8.1 oz
3DS 230 Grams (8.1 oz)

-better battery life, while you may say 30 minutes to an hour is nothing - with a mobile device every minute counts. I'd like to get another hour worth of media playing out of my phone if it was a cheap option. In any mobile device any increase in battery life is a good thing.

-Matte Finish - ever since I got a glossy DS Lite (White and Black..) I have hated how smudgey fingerprints have gotten on it. I traded away my White DS Lite for a red/black version, I really hated the smudges that much. Matte is a huge benefit.

-I personally find it easier for the 3d effect to "pop" for me on the 3ds XL, some people notice similar issues, others don't, it appears to be a personal/subjective thing.

I also forgot the horrible brightness as well...
And i find the 3d pretty much the same i guess...
easier to lose sweet spot on xl, but it does "pop" more. So good points also...

And I have the pink 3ds, hardly notice any smudges. But on my brothers aqua blue it is very visable, not sure about the other colors
---
3ds Friend code:
1950-7400-2754
#23The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 2:11:27 PM
notacos posted...
Dogscratch posted...
notacos posted...
-awful speakers

-larger screen
-better stylus placement

3DS 230 Grams (8.1 oz)

And I have the pink 3ds, hardly notice any smudges. But on my brothers aqua blue it is very visable, not sure about the other colors

Strange, I had always heard that it was easier to keep the sweet spot on XL, which is one of the main reasons I was interested in it. That was one my main problems back when I had an original 3DS.
#24The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 9:39:41 AM
The_Pig_Hostage posted...
notacos posted...
Dogscratch posted...
notacos posted...
-awful speakers

-larger screen
-better stylus placement

3DS 230 Grams (8.1 oz)

Strange, I had always heard that it was easier to keep the sweet spot on XL, which is one of the main reasons I was interested in it. That was one my main problems back when I had an original 3DS.

any comments on this?
#25MadDewgPosted 1/29/2013 10:05:26 AM
I completely played through ocarina of time 3d, liberation maiden, code of princess, super mario 3D land, and kirby adventure on full blast 3D and I tended to always stay in the "sweet spot" compared to when I use to mooch my cousin's regular 3DS. I also tend to always play the XL either laying across my bed or laying across the living room couch, so thats a plus (keeping the 3D image).

I also prefer the XL for comfort reasons (I have big hands, so holding the XL is way more comfy for me). Seriously though, get on that sale, its worth it (even more so if you are a fan of 2D DS games. Castlevania order of ecclasia, chrono trigger, super robot taisen endless frontier, megaman zx advent, megaman zero collection etc. looks awesome on the XL).
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#26gldooriiPosted 1/29/2013 10:33:48 AM
I recently bought both the 3DS and XL the other day knowing that I'd return one of them. I played them last night in bed, dark room, and the regular 3DS looked SO much better than the XL. I mainly played the Kingdom Hearts demo and Street Fighter. I enjoyed the brightness and crispness of the regular 3DS as opposed to the stretched duller look on the XL. I also could not stand the 3D on the XL at all and kept turning it off, whereas the regular 3DS 3D was perfectly fine.

Today, I brought my 3DS XL to work to give it another shot and it looked much better with the lights on and I could tolerate the 3D somewhat better now that I was sitting at a desk with the screen much further away, but I still preferred the 3D off...and I still noticed the graphical difference due to the bigger screen. It's like night and day for me. The 3DS looks far superior when compared to the XL, however sitting at my desk like this I'd rather be looking at the bigger screen, but in bed I'd rather look at the smaller screen.

I plan on keeping both probably through the weekend, but I'm leaning towards returning the XL.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#27legionofpancakePosted 1/29/2013 10:37:45 AM
gldoorii posted...
I recently bought both the 3DS and XL the other day knowing that I'd return one of them. I played them last night in bed, dark room, and the regular 3DS looked SO much better than the XL. I mainly played the Kingdom Hearts demo and Street Fighter. I enjoyed the brightness and crispness of the regular 3DS as opposed to the stretched duller look on the XL. I also could not stand the 3D on the XL at all and kept turning it off, whereas the regular 3DS 3D was perfectly fine.

Today, I brought my 3DS XL to work to give it another shot and it looked much better with the lights on and I could tolerate the 3D somewhat better now that I was sitting at a desk with the screen much further away, but I still preferred the 3D off...and I still noticed the graphical difference due to the bigger screen. It's like night and day for me. The 3DS looks far superior when compared to the XL, however sitting at my desk like this I'd rather be looking at the bigger screen, but in bed I'd rather look at the smaller screen.

I plan on keeping both probably through the weekend, but I'm leaning towards returning the XL.

Have you tried toggling with the settings? Apparently the power saver can be turned off and that's supposed to help the XL look much sharper.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
88 Fingers Louie were a hardcore punk band. 88 Fingers Eddward was a nickname on Ed Edd'nEddy. Pretty cool reference.
#28gldooriiPosted 1/29/2013 10:44:37 AM
legionofpancake posted...
gldoorii posted...

Have you tried toggling with the settings? Apparently the power saver can be turned off and that's supposed to help the XL look much sharper.

Yea I played around with it but was not very satisfied.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#29JunT1986Posted 1/29/2013 12:00:43 PM
My bro has the regular 3DS in black I have the white 3DS XL.
I find the XL more appealing to myself, speakers arent that loud yeah, don't really mind it tbh...might as well use my headphone :/

Screen brightness is fine for me as well and I find it easier on the eyes with the bigger screen while using the 3D effect.

Didn't really notice about the pixelation unless you actually look for it.
Pixel peeping I call it. Plus with the 3D effect turned on it looks some what clearer. To me anyway.

Build quality seems pretty decent. Didn't have this back plate problem but that might be the normal XL problem and it's probably fixed with the white version and the pikachu edition?
#30DragonyeuwPosted 1/29/2013 4:57:30 PM
Anyone know how long this is going on?
---
Current systems owned: PS3 slim,xbox 360 Gears model, Wii, PS2,Dreamcast, SNES, White PS Vita, Red 3Ds, PSP3000, PSPGo,