Having a US 3DS XL in Australia- How is it?

#1VanKeithPosted 1/28/2013 6:50:25 PM
I was wondering if there was anyone with a US 3DS in Australia. Are you finding it a hassle to get games imported?
What about using the eShop and online play? I really want to get a US console purely for the early game releases and slightly cheaper games.
Just wanted to ask someone who might have experience with this. Thanks!
#2Xenesis XenonPosted 1/28/2013 7:57:33 PM(edited)
Hi!

As someone who has this, there's a few things to be aware of. I'll go through the points.

-Getting hard copies of games is usually pretty easy. Sellers like Play-asia and individual shops on ebay are usually a good source and you'll save lots of money here, even with the postage. Just make sure to check, due to the region lockouts what you buy carefully.

-Streetpass-related general features work fine.

-Local multiplayer is quite iffy- A lot of games are region locked out of playing with each other. Nintendo Wifi Connection is no issue.

-The US-only apps like Netflix and Nintendo video are IP-based region locked, so sadly you can't use them here.

-Buying from the eShop is a pain unless you have a US debit/credit card - Unlike say, Japan with their eShop, the US one will reject purchases from foreign cards. The only way to buy stuff is to find a reseller of nintendo eshop cards. I've been using Play-asia for the odd few things, but it cuts into your price saving a bit. That being said, spending $55-60 for a $50 card is much better when costs are $40 for an eShop DL release instead of the abominable $70 AUD we have :|

The other thing with the eShop is that unlike our mostly sane taxation, the tax on eShop purchases is added post-sale (so that 5% tax on that 4.99 game won't show up until you hit the payment screen) and is directed state-by-state. So you probably won't end up with nice round numbers.

You'll save money and there will be some hurdles. The only problem is if you care about local multiplayer, for the most part.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#3NekoakumaPosted 1/28/2013 8:40:28 PM
Re: the US eShop, not sure if it's the same as Canada, but from what I hear Canada accepts foreign cards, so try changing your region to that?
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#4Xenesis XenonPosted 1/28/2013 8:43:18 PM
I legitimately didn't think about that!

I'll give it a shot and report back when I can.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#5VanKeith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 9:16:45 PM
Ooh.. If the Canada eShop works that would be gold.
But yes.. would you say it's definitely doable then?
So keen for early access for games instead of waiting for EUR/AU releases
#6mantezPosted 1/28/2013 9:37:49 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
The other thing with the eShop is that unlike our mostly sane taxation, the tax on eShop purchases is added post-sale (so that 5% tax on that 4.99 game won't show up until you hit the payment screen) and is directed state-by-state. So you probably won't end up with nice round numbers.

Just choose a state with no sales tax.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.
#7NekoakumaPosted 1/28/2013 9:45:06 PM
VanKeith posted...
Ooh.. If the Canada eShop works that would be gold.
But yes.. would you say it's definitely doable then?
So keen for early access for games instead of waiting for EUR/AU releases

I've got mixed feelings about it.
The gamer part of me is saying go for it, and I'd recommend to import a NA system over a local one any day. (More releases, cheaper, faster, and with the current exchange rate why not?)

On the other hand, I like to support my local stores and when possible try not to grey/parallel import.

But in this case, I'd still say go for NA.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#8Ergot_CholeraPosted 1/28/2013 11:52:54 PM
I have a US 3DS, but I am in the UK. I use my UK debit card on the eshop with the region of my console set to Brazil, it works fine.
#9Xenesis XenonPosted 1/29/2013 12:52:54 AM(edited)
Just checking back in, I used the Canadian eShop to buy a game on my account! :)

This pleases me.
---
#10VanKeith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 12:54:05 AM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Just checking back in, I used the Canadian eShop to buy a game on my account! :)

(Much more convenient, although the exchange rate is not quite as good)

It's almost 1:1 isn't it? I would pay that little bit for the convenience. Looks like I will be from Canada for eShop purposes :P
I feel like a little sacrifice on local multiplayer is worth it for the better library of games. There's still Nintendo Wi-Fi at least. Thanks for the help Xenesis Xenon, PokeMaster, and everyone else.

If anyone else has more to add in or share, please do. Can't hurt hearing more experiences