Are 3DS games better with the 3D turned off?

#1gldooriiPosted 1/29/2013 12:34:20 AM
I ended up buying a 3DS and XL at Best Buy so that I could figure out which I wanted and which to return. The 3DS seemed to have a pretty crisp screen compared to the stretched XL screen and it was brighter. The 3D was also much easier on the eyes on the 3DS whereas on the XL I was getting a headache trying to find the "just perfect" angle for the effect. I ended up turning it off pretty quickly with each demo I tried, but most if the time I just kept switching back and forth between the systems with the Kingdom Hearts demo. I could play it with 3D on and off on the 3DS, but only off on the XL or else I got nauseous.

Do you guys all mainly play with the 3D off? Are most games better that way?
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#2FrankulaPosted 1/29/2013 12:40:43 AM
I usually have it on (I have a 3DS, not XL). Usually about 3/4ths of the way up (so not full blast). Some times I turn it down if it is distracting, but usually I like how the games look with a bit more depth.
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#3xenos74Posted 1/29/2013 1:14:03 AM
I find the 3D really helps with the immersion for me. Certain things just really stand out if the game has good use of 3D, which sadly isn't all games.

As for regular vs XL, I own both and find that the original is a bit easier on the eyes. On the XL, I can get the same effect with the 3D only when I hold the system farther away than on the original 3DS. That aside, I much prefer my XL for being more comfortable in my hands and for the longer battery life.
#4ShadowRisaePosted 1/29/2013 3:48:40 AM
I play with it off. It makes me feel sick after only a few minutes if it's on.
---
Gamecenter CX is awesome.
#5adampeltzPosted 1/29/2013 6:04:23 AM(edited)
After a while, I got used to the 3D. It was disorienting at first for me too. But now, I play all games with it.

However, Dead or Alive Dimensions runs at 60fps in 2D and 30fps in 3D... I prefer the former.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#6xenos74Posted 1/29/2013 6:37:31 AM
adampeltz posted...
After a while, I got used to the 3D. It was disorienting at first for me too. But now, I play all games with it.

However, Dead or Alive Dimensions runs at 60fps in 2D and 30fps in 3D... I prefer the former.

I think that's the issue most are having, they turn the 3d on and get a headache in 5-15mins then just opt to never try it again. The thing is, your eyes need to get used to seeing it, its like getting corrective glasses/contacts.

Also, I believe it was only early 3ds games that cut the fps in half with the 3d on.
#7AnclationPosted 1/29/2013 6:43:40 AM
I always have the 3D at max without any issues, the only negative aspect is that it drains the battery faster.
#8Kyoshiro12345Posted 1/29/2013 6:51:57 AM
well since i lost my right eye a few years back, i have no choice but to play 2d, but still got the system because of a few specific software comming up, and the japan exclusives.
---
Screenshot it or it didnt happen.