How terrible do DS games look on 3DS XL?

#1temgunPosted 1/29/2013 8:50:43 AM
I might finally jump into 3DS and I still have a big backlog of DS games. From what I've seen DS games seem to leave big black borders on both sides, which looks kinda bad. Overall, how good/bad is it?
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG
#2DarkSideOfBluePosted 1/29/2013 9:04:53 AM
They don't look terrible. They're a bit stretched, but nothing to really get your jimmies rustled about.
#3esoteric42Posted 1/29/2013 9:22:19 AM
DS games look better on my 3DS XL.

Playing DQ9 on my DSi XL makes it look pixelated.

Playing DQ9 on my 3DS XL, there are only borders on the top screen, and the system uses a hardware visual filter to smooth jaggies.

I prefer DS games on 3DS or 3DS XL.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141
#4poptarts22Posted 1/29/2013 9:27:37 AM
DS games look 100% perfect on a 3DS XL if you use 1:1 true pixel mode by holding start or select when you start a game because it is the exact same size/resolution as normal DSi screens.

They don't even look that bad in stretched mode.

There will be a bunch of people who only play Pokemon Black/White on an original 3DS who come into this topic to tell you that the colors are washed out and it looks like poop, but as someone with an XL who has loaded all 100+ of his DS games onto the system to be recorded on the Activity Log, the games look great.
#5RazieruPosted 1/29/2013 9:44:22 AM(edited)
temgun posted...
I might finally jump into 3DS and I still have a big backlog of DS games. From what I've seen DS games seem to leave big black borders on both sides, which looks kinda bad. Overall, how good/bad is it?

DS games look dire on the 3DS or the 3DS XL. The issue is they will always look blurry and washed out. Why shrink the image just to get something close to the native mode you can get on other DSes, especially the DSi XL? That's always been a cop out.

And no, there's nothing to do about the black borders around the screens. Also, some people like to willfully play ignorant to the fact that DS games DO look native on other DSes. There's no blur filter or resolution bump to interfere with the images, like with the 3DSes.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#6poptarts22Posted 1/29/2013 9:42:56 AM
See? ^ ;)
#7RazieruPosted 1/29/2013 9:49:54 AM
^ My point exactly.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#8EkaruPosted 1/29/2013 9:56:28 AM
Go with the XL if you want to play DS games. The XL's 1:1 mode results in images as big as the DSi's, whereas with the original 3DS the images are freaking tiny when you go into 1:1 mode.
---
3DS FC: 3050-7685-5267
PM me if you wanna play a match with me in Mario Tennis Open.