How are the DS games on the 3DS XL?

#1emotional28Posted 1/30/2013 5:38:25 AM
Will the games fit the whole screen or am I better off playing DS games on my DS? I have the very first one btw. Thinking if I could score a cheap dsi/DS XL. Thanks!
---
Here she comes, walking like the world falls at her feet, our eyes meet smiling just like God was her lover
Steam ID: rasalgethi28
#2poptarts22Posted 1/30/2013 8:27:39 AM
DS games look 100% perfect on a 3DS XL if you use 1:1 true pixel mode by holding start or select when you start a game because it is the exact same size/resolution as normal DSi screens.

If you DO use stretched mode, the games will fill the bottom screen completely and the top screen vertically, but not horizontally because the top screen of a 3DS is widescreen and if it did fill horizontally it would be stretching the image out of its aspect ratio and look bad. Once you get 2 minutes into a game you won't notice the black on the sides, especially since the inside of the system in black.

There will be a bunch of people who only play Pokemon Black/White on an original 3DS who come into this topic to tell you that the colors are washed out and it looks like poop, but as someone with an XL who has loaded all 100+ of his DS games onto the system to be recorded on the Activity Log, the games look great.
#3JoeHigashi2000Posted 1/30/2013 9:49:04 AM
They look fine. I prefer them on the bigger screens.
---
GT: J03HIG45HI PS3/Vita: JoeHigashi2000 3DS: 0817-3804-7210
#4esoteric42Posted 1/30/2013 11:06:41 AM
If you are coming from a DS Phat, the DS games on 3DS will probably blow your mind.

I don't know how I played on my OG DS before the DS lite was released.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141
#5funguy10Posted 1/30/2013 11:14:26 AM
looks fantastic on mine on default. in fact i bought alot of DS games. they are going pretty cheap now. i use default settings on mine.
#6Dark_Link92Posted 1/30/2013 12:30:21 PM
I don't like it, personally. The motion blur on certain games makes me feel sick. The washing out seems far less prominent than on the original 3DS though.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#7RazieruPosted 1/30/2013 1:18:08 PM(edited)
Dark_Link92 posted...
I don't like it, personally. The motion blur on certain games makes me feel sick. The washing out seems far less prominent than on the original 3DS though.

This. Unless you're legally blind and can't see the blurry and washed out resolution found on both 3DSes, then you're going to be deluded into thinking DS games actually look better on a 3DS.

The images are undeniably much more crisp and superior on other DSes. In fact, the DSi XL remains the definitive system for DS games.

emotional28 posted...
Will the games fit the whole screen or am I better off playing DS games on my DS?

DS games will NOT fit the whole screen of either 3DS. You are better off playing DS games on any other DS than the 3DSes. The visuals have much higher quality on other DSes.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to upgrade from the original DS though. Why cheat yourself with such an outdated product with such tiny screens? The LCDs on any other DS are also more up to date - the contrast is much better, and there are more brightness settings to enjoy as well.

I have the very first one btw. Thinking if I could score a cheap dsi/DS XL. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and pick up a DSi XL. DS gaming will never be of more crisp/superior quality without it. The 3DS' resolution bump and blur filter will butcher the resolution of DS games.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#8poptarts22Posted 1/30/2013 3:58:03 PM
The biggest problem with the DSi XL is that it doesn't support the latest generation of software from the DS brand; where as the 3DS XL can play older DS games AND 3DS games.

It's really just a matter of if you want to spend $100 for an iXL now and then another $170 for a 3DS XL later or just spend the $170 now and save yourself $100 to use on games.
#9RazieruPosted 1/30/2013 4:21:48 PM
poptarts22 posted...
The biggest problem with the DSi XL is that it doesn't support the latest generation of software from the DS brand; where as the 3DS XL can play older DS games AND 3DS games.

It's really just a matter of if you want to spend $100 for an iXL now and then another $170 for a 3DS XL later or just spend the $170 now and save yourself $100 to use on games.

Except the TC asked how DS games looked on the 3DS XL. I don't recall them mentioning anything about an interest in any 3DS games.

It's not just about the backwards compatibility with DS games, which is of horrid visual quality, mind you. It's about having a standard for the visuals of these DS games, which is always superior on a DSi XL vs. ANY 3DS.
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#10thompsontalker7Posted 1/30/2013 4:27:13 PM
They look just fine. Much better than the regular 3DS.

Blurring is evident but not distracting
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!