My XL just came in the mail. Should I charge it before I turn it on?

#11RayzerTagPosted 1/30/2013 12:06:49 PM(edited)
Alavard posted...
SpacedDuck posted...
Actually I hear it's better to turn a system on and let the battery die right away and then charge it.

To be honest it doesn't matter. If it did Nintendo and all the other manufacturers who release things with batteries would place a note on the system telling people what to do and not do.

Battery rant incoming...

The only reason you're told to let lithium-ion batteries die down before charging them is because of timing/charge measurement.

Unlike other batteries, lithium-ion batteries have virtually no voltage drop as they discharge until they're just about out of juice. This means that to something measuring the level of the battery, 100% looks virtually the same as 50%. In order to have accurate battery % measurements, the battery needs to do at least one full cycle from being full to nearly being empty in order to calibrate the time measurement of how long it takes to drain the battery.

However, one should avoid discharging lithium-ion batteries fully. If a lithium-ion battery is completely discharged, it is more difficult to charge it back up and it kills the life of the battery. Most electronics using them actually have safeguards to shut down ahead of time, while there is still a tiny bit of juice left. To be on the safeside, though, you shouldn't let electronics powered by lithium-ion batteries completely die.

Because the battery is internal to the system, Nintendo has almost certainly done at least one full charge test/drain cycle on the unit (and then partially charged it back up) before you receive it, so that it's already calibrated. You can imagine the chaos if everyone got their 3DS and reported their systems suddenly shutting of while still reading 50% or staying at 100% for 3 hours and then suddenly falling to 10%.

TLDR: don't worry about it, just don't let the unit completely shut off from lack of power if you can avoid it.

Thanks for taking the time to write this, that was very good to know!
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#12ARsignal11Posted 1/30/2013 12:24:54 PM
Alavard posted...
SpacedDuck posted...
Actually I hear it's better to turn a system on and let the battery die right away and then charge it.

To be honest it doesn't matter. If it did Nintendo and all the other manufacturers who release things with batteries would place a note on the system telling people what to do and not do.

Battery rant incoming...

The only reason you're told to let lithium-ion batteries die down before charging them is because of timing/charge measurement.

Unlike other batteries, lithium-ion batteries have virtually no voltage drop as they discharge until they're just about out of juice. This means that to something measuring the level of the battery, 100% looks virtually the same as 50%. In order to have accurate battery % measurements, the battery needs to do at least one full cycle from being full to nearly being empty in order to calibrate the time measurement of how long it takes to drain the battery.

However, one should avoid discharging lithium-ion batteries fully. If a lithium-ion battery is completely discharged, it is more difficult to charge it back up and it kills the life of the battery. Most electronics using them actually have safeguards to shut down ahead of time, while there is still a tiny bit of juice left. To be on the safeside, though, you shouldn't let electronics powered by lithium-ion batteries completely die.

Because the battery is internal to the system, Nintendo has almost certainly done at least one full charge test/drain cycle on the unit (and then partially charged it back up) before you receive it, so that it's already calibrated. You can imagine the chaos if everyone got their 3DS and reported their systems suddenly shutting of while still reading 50% or staying at 100% for 3 hours and then suddenly falling to 10%.

TLDR: don't worry about it, just don't let the unit completely shut off from lack of power if you can avoid it.

Just got a 3DS myself and this was useful info. Thanks man.
#13AndaryuPosted 1/30/2013 12:40:15 PM
funguy10 posted...
mario cart 7 is pre installed. in other words. its in the memory.

The question is Mario Kart 7 installed on the 3DS system memory or the included SD card. I don't think it would be on the memory card but I'm not sure, I'd like to know as I'm hoping to get the Animal Crossing XL if it gets localized and I'm sure it will be setup the same way.
---
We have no choice but to let go of the past to move forward...
-Ace, Class Zero
#14MonoculusPosted 1/30/2013 1:11:15 PM
It'll be on the SD card; the 3DS doesn't have enough expendable internal memory.
---
XBL: RandomTag529 | Steam/PSN: FEGuy | 3DS FC: 4811-7007-7796
NES|SNES|PSX|N64|GC|X360|Wii|PS3|PC|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|Lite|3DS|Xperia Play|Vita
#15Jewtiful Joe(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 1:24:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16Jewtiful Joe(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 1:39:19 PM(edited)
redownloading MK7 onto my new SD card now.

So I have a question about the top screen 3D. When I have the 3D turned off, the top screen looks perfect. However, with the 3D turned on, when I tilt the 3DS left and right, the top screen has these wavy lines to it. They're very hard do describe. Is that a normal thing or is mine defective? When you have the 3D turn on and you tilt your 3DS xl, does that happen for you?
---
http://i.imgur.com/XA1y9.jpg
#17Jewtiful Joe(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 2:01:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y2CJVM2.jpg

Here's a pic of the "lines" that I'm referring to. Is that normal or a defect?
---
#18iammaxhailmePosted 1/30/2013 2:13:08 PM
Normal, the way the 3d works is dependant on angle
Its a pain finding the correct angle so i leave 3d off
---
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax
#19Jewtiful Joe(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 2:17:41 PM
yeah i did some research and that's fine apparently. I didn't know 3DS 3D was so depending on positioning. I'm used to movie theater 3D where you can be at any angle and it's fine.

When I stare at it straight on in just the right position, i dont see any of that stuff.
---