Zelda: RPG or not?

#21SMASHKING84Posted 1/30/2013 11:29:40 AM
I cannot remember were i read it,but i remember miyamoto stating he doesn't think zelda is an rpg (he also stated he could see why people would say that.)
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#22MogMoogle1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 11:31:20 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
I cannot remember were i read it,but i remember miyamoto stating he doesn't think zelda is an rpg (he also stated he could see why people would say that.)

Maybe it's a mistake on NoA then.
---
~~~PSN: YukiSeraph
Persona 4 Golden: http://i.imgur.com/Ui84Q.gif
#23NekoakumaPosted 1/30/2013 11:41:54 AM
I consider it an Action/Adventure.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#24DeathSoul2000Posted 1/30/2013 11:45:33 AM
ok, who are the idiots voting yes?
#25shampoowarriorPosted 1/30/2013 11:49:39 AM
I vite nay.
Action/Adventure
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#26SMASHKING84Posted 1/30/2013 11:51:33 AM
MogMoogle1 posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...

Maybe it's a mistake on NoA then.

honestly i think it's because of aol. that game is truely a zelda rpg.(as in it's not just an rpg it's an rpg with almost every zelda trope)

I would like to state that skyward sword is probably the closest zelda has ever gotten to being rpg like(besides aol)
every rpg i ever played had at least two of the following elements.

1.turn based
2.random encounters
3.literally gaining experience
4.multiple characters in the party
5.a great plot (zelda games have a good plot compared to mario but compared to other rpgs,not so much...)
6.buying better equipment
7.jobs/classes
8.the main character actually talks (seriously just because a character is an avatar doesn't mean they should never speak.)

I mean look at ys book 1 for example. you can only upgrade health when you level up(when you gain magic that's YS BOOK 2) yet you still get level ups and buying new equipment. like i said every rpg i played has at least two rpg tropes.
---
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#27foxizardPosted 1/30/2013 1:46:44 PM
I'm looking at the back of the case of my Japanese import "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" and it clearly says here: "Action Adventure", so not even Nintendo classifies the series as an RPG. Therefore, it's not.

I always trust the creates a works (whatever it may be; games, books, movies etc...) as canon.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/marxj/ZeldaIsActionAdventure_zps31e4909f.png

This is a picture of the back of the box, including a terribly done job in MSPaint to point out the spot on the box that says "Action Adventure" as well as a picture of the Japanese for it being typed in and translated in Google Translate for those who can't read Japanese.
---
Currently Playing: Digimon Adventure (PSP), Kamisama to Unmei Kakumei no Paradox (PS3), Bakugan BB (PS3), Bakugan DotC (PS3),
3DS Friend Code: 4296-2944-2414
#28iMURDAuPosted 1/30/2013 1:48:57 PM
90 to 11 at the moment has rejuvenated my faith in the human race. Thank you to everyone who voted no.
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
3DS FC: 1977-1514-4983, PM if you add me
#29SMASHKING84Posted 1/30/2013 2:00:34 PM
I think zelda would benefit from being more rpg like though.
as much as i disliked skyward sword(the overworld and controls) the upgrade system was genius,imo.

Now if we could get ideas like that and a bigger over world(big doesn't have to mean empty see the tales of series.) and start making ideas like touch/motion controls optional. then it'd turn out better.

i'm still waiting also for a zelda game with an epic plot. so far we've had decent plots that wouldn't be nearily ad good as they were without character development.

i mean look at tp the biggest reason i felt it had better plot then other zelda games before is because midna actually had decent character development. groose comes pretty close to being as good as her.

he goes from bully to whiny baby to a kick ass good guy that also has comical moments.
my biggest complaint about him is he's spends a little TOO much time in the whiny baby phase. if they had cut that back a little i think he'd tie with midna.
---
#30toadiemanPosted 1/30/2013 2:10:26 PM
Zelda 2 is the closest to an RPG.
---
PSN: toadieman