Zelda: RPG or not?

#31vu_cometPosted 1/30/2013 3:42:18 PM
No. Hopefully it never goes the way of an RPG. Can you imagine needing to be a certain level in order to shoot a bow and arrow?
---
With your bad back, I don't think you should be picking up any girls.
I went ice fishing the other day and all I caught was a cold.
#32ZenithianHeroPosted 1/30/2013 3:48:37 PM
toadieman posted...
Zelda 2 is the closest to an RPG.

Zelda 2 is the only RPG in the series.
#33SMASHKING84Posted 1/30/2013 3:49:23 PM
vu_comet posted...
No. Hopefully it never goes the way of an RPG. Can you imagine needing to be a certain level in order to shoot a bow and arrow?

what? almost all rpgs let you use any equipment your character can equip at ANY LEVEL. the difference is how powerful x attacks are usally.

If an rpg restricts you from using an item until reaching a certain level it's almost always because that item uses magic.

oh and technically you never start out in any zelda game able to equip the bow. you usally get it arround the third dungeon. which is basically the same as low to mid twenties in most rpgs.

(you usally get to third dungeon arround level 25)
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#34jedinatPosted 1/30/2013 3:51:18 PM(edited)
funguy10 posted...
of course it is. an rpg simply means a role playing game. which zelda does provide.

And I suppose an NBA game can be called an FPS if it has first person view free throws or something because "first person shooter". Don't be silly.

By your definition you'd be hard put to find any game that isn't an "RPG" lol.
#35SMASHKING84Posted 1/30/2013 3:54:33 PM
jedinat posted...
funguy10 posted...
of course it is. an rpg simply means a role playing game. which zelda does provide.

And I suppose an NBA game can be called an FPS if it has first person view free throws or something because "first person shooter". Don't be silly.

By your definition you'd be hard put to find any game that isn't an "RPG" lol.

pretty much only games like tetris wouldn't be an rpg under this definition.
but hey if fools can't tell there's a difference between games like nsmb2 and tales of the abyss then let them be fools.
---
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#36Maxx_the_SlashPosted 1/30/2013 4:14:01 PM
Adventure. There's absolutely nothing RPG-like about it. If Zelda is an RPG, then Halo and Killzone are RPG's.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#37vu_cometPosted 1/30/2013 4:28:15 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
vu_comet posted...

what? almost all rpgs let you use any equipment your character can equip at ANY LEVEL. the difference is how powerful x attacks are usally.

If an rpg restricts you from using an item until reaching a certain level it's almost always because that item uses magic.

oh and technically you never start out in any zelda game able to equip the bow. you usally get it arround the third dungeon. which is basically the same as low to mid twenties in most rpgs.

Some RPG's require certain stats before using weapons. Diablo on the PC for example requires certain amounts of strength to use swords or axes.
---
#38SMASHKING84Posted 1/30/2013 4:44:21 PM
vu_comet posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
vu_comet posted...

Some RPG's require certain stats before using weapons. Diablo on the PC for example requires certain amounts of strength to use swords or axes.

the point i was making is rpg=/=level restricted items which is what your previous post implied.
You really should of said "if they do make zelda more rpg like don't do this" instead of saying all rpgs do it...

Personally i think that if zelda were to become rpg like it should be like monster world but with more exploration and more plot. why? it'd fix many problems people have with zelda.

1.actually challenging
2.you use all of you items in every area you go to (granted you only get a sword and shield but imagine a zelda game were you get several items and you need to use them in every dungeon you go to)
3.your constantly using your money
4.no annoying sidekicks that constantly hold your hand.

Monster world iv would be the best model because it's not frustratingly difficult.
plus i'd love to play as girl in a zelda game(at least give us the option to do it...)
---
#39EnclavePosted 1/30/2013 4:44:46 PM
It's an Action/Adventure. Always has been, always will be.

Hell, it's the quintessential Action/Adventure by which all Action/Adventures are judged.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#40vu_cometPosted 1/30/2013 5:01:38 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
vu_comet posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
vu_comet posted...

the point i was making is rpg=/=level restricted items which is what your previous post implied.
You really should of said "if they do make zelda more rpg like don't do this" instead of saying all rpgs do it...

Personally i think that if zelda were to become rpg like it should be like monster world but with more exploration and more plot. why? it'd fix many problems people have with zelda.

1.actually challenging
2.you use all of you items in every area you go to (granted you only get a sword and shield but imagine a zelda game were you get several items and you need to use them in every dungeon you go to)
3.your constantly using your money
4.no annoying sidekicks that constantly hold your hand.

Monster world iv would be the best model because it's not frustratingly difficult.
plus i'd love to play as girl in a zelda game(at least give us the option to do it...)

There was no implication in my post that said all RPG's do this. Unless I'm missing something. I was simply stating how inane it would be to have to go through tedious grinding in order to obtain an item/weapon.

When you're right, you're right. Here my friend, have a cigar. :P
---