Is the 3DS XL's screen much better than the normal 3DS?

#1Godstriker8Posted 1/30/2013 2:50:45 PM
After using the Vita for so long, going back to the 3DS's screen is kinda jarring. But I do want to play FE badly, so I'm considering getting a XL.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#2X_ULTIMA_XPosted 1/30/2013 2:53:46 PM
The xl will make it worse. Due to the bigger screens the pixels are bigger it will only look worse to you
---
Regards, Dolan
R.I.P fungivore 2012-2012
#3jedinatPosted 1/30/2013 3:01:01 PM(edited)
X_ULTIMA_X posted...
The xl will make it worse. Due to the bigger screens the pixels are bigger it will only look worse to you

Depends your definition of "worse"... It makes games easier to see. For example, I find Cave Story (eshop) to be a much more pleasant experience on the XL. On the regular 3DS the portraits and such are actually kind of hard to make out.

If you only only care about higher dpi, then the 3DS would be better.
#4blazeairPosted 1/30/2013 3:59:24 PM
Yes, much better especially the 3D. Also, it's much more comfortable to hold.
---
Vita PSN: Blazeaire 3DS FC: 5112-4721-7123
~Sexy, Free & Single I'm ready to...BINGO!~
#5Termin8rPosted 1/30/2013 4:03:30 PM
No, it's not worse in the least. Making it bigger was one of the best design decisions Nintendo ever made because now I can play all of my games with the 3D setting on full for hours on end without getting eye fatigue or nausea. Overall everything about the XL is better than the original model.
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/2yxi5h5.gif
#6triple_leiPosted 1/30/2013 4:12:04 PM
At this point I only care of the d-pad is more comfortable. Is it?
#7poptarts22Posted 1/30/2013 4:12:27 PM
inb4 Razieru comes into the topic to bash the XL as re-assurance for being too poor to own the superior model of the next evolution of the DS line of gaming hardware.
#8poptarts22Posted 1/30/2013 4:13:16 PM
triple_lei posted...
At this point I only care of the d-pad is more comfortable. Is it?

Yes. The original D-Pad was clicky, stiff, and sharp.

The XL D-pad feels more mushy and rotates easier on your thumb like a SNES controller (only smaller).
#990sRetroGamingPosted 1/30/2013 4:22:58 PM(edited)
X_ULTIMA_X posted...

Dude, it's barely noticeable. people are making it seem like when playing on the regular 3DS screens the clarity looks like a 480p YT vid, and then when you play on the XL screens it looks like it's been downgraded to a blurry 240p vid.

It's no where near as bad as people are making it out to be, and this is coming from someone who owns one himself. it's slightly less sharp, as to be expected and the pixels are slightly larger/bigger, as to be expected.

It's something that's not even worth complaining over in my opinion and it's a fair trade off for the larger screens. it's not like the 3DS's original resolution was anything extrordinary and out of this world to begin with...
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#10656stoogePosted 1/30/2013 4:52:14 PM
I have both. I started up Chrono Trigger the other day and it's pretty small on the 3DS Xl screen. Especially the world map. So I thought it would be fun to try it on the regular 3DS and unsurprisingly it was almost impossible to make some things out.

I don't think I could spend more than a few minutes trying to read that text on a regular 3DS. Not to mention that the XL is far more comfortable.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8