RUNE FACTORY 4 announced for the US!

#71dolphinmagePosted 1/31/2013 8:47:05 PM
Do the Rune Factory games work well as stand-alone titles or is there a lot I would miss out on by not playing the other ones?
#72serenade_betaPosted 1/31/2013 8:59:20 PM
dolphinmage posted...
Do the Rune Factory games work well as stand-alone titles or is there a lot I would miss out on by not playing the other ones?

Rune Factory 4 does have a few characters from the other games, but they don't have a major role. Other than that, there is no important connection between games.
In other words, stand-alone.
---
Tried to start a blog... --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/
Plans: Thoughts on Pokemon (Competitive, Random), Kid Icarus (Weapons)
#73SMASHKING84Posted 1/31/2013 9:01:33 PM
There's only a few small cameos that's all the connection they have.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#74dolphinmagePosted 1/31/2013 9:31:36 PM
That's good to hear. Rune Factory 4 looks interesting, but I didn't want to have to play through the others first. Thanks for the info.
#75FefnirOmega13Posted 1/31/2013 9:56:30 PM
dolphinmage posted...
That's good to hear. Rune Factory 4 looks interesting, but I didn't want to have to play through the others first. Thanks for the info.

I recommend you play through at least #3 to get a feel for the series. #1 is cool but slightly archaic, and I didn't enjoy #2 at all.

You can probably find #3 for a good price now it's been out for a while.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#76dolphinmagePosted 1/31/2013 10:22:53 PM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
dolphinmage posted...

I recommend you play through at least #3 to get a feel for the series. #1 is cool but slightly archaic, and I didn't enjoy #2 at all.

Actually I tried the second game and that was why I wanted to make sure I didn't have to play the others first. I like the concept, but I couldn't really get into that game. I didn't even play long enough to marry off my character.

I was kind of hoping that the fourth game has more going on initially. I'm used to rpgs more than sim games, so a very slow pace might turn me away. I do like what I've seen of the character artwork and screenshots, and that I can play as a female character. Also the different races are interesting to me (though from what I understand, that was in Rune Factory 3 as well).
#77serenade_betaPosted 1/31/2013 10:28:31 PM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
dolphinmage posted...

I hear 1 and 2 had some pretty bad bugs, including ones that deleted your data and ones that prevented you from proceeding the story. 3 was a large improvement, without those devastating bugs.
---
Tried to start a blog... --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/
Plans: Thoughts on Pokemon (Competitive, Random), Kid Icarus (Weapons)
#78evilvergilPosted 1/31/2013 11:10:58 PM
I havent played any if the Rune Factory games but i heard nothing but good things about them, so im definately looking forward to 4. Also Rune factory 3's openings are simply godlike!( i like the japanese versions aswell.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-6OYzBXNw
#79Bikes-Posted 2/1/2013 7:12:30 AM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
dolphinmage posted...

The opposite actually 3 is fairly rare these days.
I still curse myself for not picking it up when I found it in a store a little after release. Been meaning to hunt down a copy one of these days.
#80XeonGQPosted 2/1/2013 7:30:09 AM
Bikes- posted...
The opposite actually 3 is fairly rare these days.
I still curse myself for not picking it up when I found it in a store a little after release. Been meaning to hunt down a copy one of these days.

Yeah, I went looking for a new copy a while ago. I ended up buying a new copy on eBay last year for $45, was the lowest I could find at the time on either eBay or Amazon. I also picked up a new Rune Factory: Frontier at the same time for $15. I haven't played either of them(or any RF game for that matter) yet but I've been a Harvest Moon fan since the SNES and an rpg fan for even longer so I'm thinking I'll really like them. Dunno why I waited until just last year to try to get into the series :P