OH SHOOT! Iwata might resign due to poor operating performance!

#11andizzle29662Posted 1/31/2013 6:57:20 AM
I would be saddened if be resigned. For one, he's one of my favorite execs from Nintendo, plus the man has real passion for this industry. The weak economy should be blamed more so then him.

Once pikmin 3, monster hunter, and more come out on WiiU, sales will pick up.
The 3ds will be swimming in money after animal crossing launches in America, monster 4 in Japan, and pokemon X & Y worldwide which will be a mega hit.
---
Everyone subscribe to pure Nintendo magazine! It rocks!
#12A_margatroidPosted 1/31/2013 7:05:11 AM
My reaction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

I really hope he'll get out. After that, we just need Miyamoto out and Nintendo will be ready for a fresh new start.
#13JumpmandkPosted 1/31/2013 7:30:38 AM(edited)
Iwata San is a cool guy and everyone loves to see him at E3 and doing N-Directs, but Nintendo really needs new leadership and has for a very long time. He said before the original Wii launched, "that he didn't expect to have his job long", because he expected the Wii to be a huge flop and he was going to be the scapegoat.

The Wii came along after 2 very poorly performing home consoles for Nintendo(N64,Gamecube), and despite the odds, it was a success. I have been a Nintendo fan for roughly 30 years, and they are very good at certain things and very bad in other areas. The Wii was a curse and a blessing.

If it would have performed poorly like the two previous units, it would have forced Nintendo to look at others in the industry, and move in a better more competitive path. Instead it allowed them to think they did something "GREAT", when infact they didn't really do anything. It was sony, Microsoft, and Apples complexity that made the Wii inviting at the time, and it is these same things that make the WiiU look bad in comparison today.

The world video game market is shifting in major ways that have never been seen before, and Nintendo refuses to change along with the times. Nintendo has a HUGE stable of quality titles that they refuse to release on their VC, and these are games that require little to no effort to release and the returns would be huge and help to bring in revenue to help keep finance reports positive inbetween the lean months when no 1st party titles are being released.

Decades ago Disney was in a similar situation and Michael Eisner came in and took over and turned operations on it's ear, and began to make HUGE changes, and Disney started making money again and has since become a world force again. He was like "why are we sitting on all these classic animated movies, when we can release all this stuff and bring in funds". There was a demand and he delivered what Disney fans wanted(access to everything they loved about Disney). The previous leadership thought they should horde all that was good, and it brought the company down.

Nintendo will continue to struggle until they bring in someone who has a forward thinking mentality that will actually benifit the company on a whole.
#14shampoowarriorPosted 1/31/2013 8:16:25 AM
I hope he does resign.

There has been a lot of genuinely cool and innovative ideas introduced under his leadership, but there's also been two underpowered home consoles, one of which (the Wii U) purposefully left out several standards of modern online gaming (account system, achievements...asking Wii users to repurchase digital games for Wii U). Nintendo needs a leader with not only the balls to innovate, but also a real idea and dedication to gaming trends and features that people want.

Wii U and 3DS are cool systems in their own right, but there is a lack of features on both that are frankly inexcusable. And Iwata is very much to blame for allowing that to be so.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#15so64Posted 1/31/2013 9:28:50 AM
Jumpmandk posted...
Iwata San is a cool guy and everyone loves to see him at E3 and doing N-Directs, but Nintendo really needs new leadership and has for a very long time. He said before the original Wii launched, "that he didn't expect to have his job long", because he expected the Wii to be a huge flop and he was going to be the scapegoat.

The Wii came along after 2 very poorly performing home consoles for Nintendo(N64,Gamecube), and despite the odds, it was a success. I have been a Nintendo fan for roughly 30 years, and they are very good at certain things and very bad in other areas. The Wii was a curse and a blessing.

If it would have performed poorly like the two previous units, it would have forced Nintendo to look at others in the industry, and move in a better more competitive path. Instead it allowed them to think they did something "GREAT", when infact they didn't really do anything. It was sony, Microsoft, and Apples complexity that made the Wii inviting at the time, and it is these same things that make the WiiU look bad in comparison today.

The world video game market is shifting in major ways that have never been seen before, and Nintendo refuses to change along with the times. Nintendo has a HUGE stable of quality titles that they refuse to release on their VC, and these are games that require little to no effort to release and the returns would be huge and help to bring in revenue to help keep finance reports positive inbetween the lean months when no 1st party titles are being released.

Decades ago Disney was in a similar situation and Michael Eisner came in and took over and turned operations on it's ear, and began to make HUGE changes, and Disney started making money again and has since become a world force again. He was like "why are we sitting on all these classic animated movies, when we can release all this stuff and bring in funds". There was a demand and he delivered what Disney fans wanted(access to everything they loved about Disney). The previous leadership thought they should horde all that was good, and it brought the company down.

Nintendo will continue to struggle until they bring in someone who has a forward thinking mentality that will actually benifit the company on a whole.

Eisner was also the one who outsourced Disney's animation to other studios leading to a brain drain of creative talent, went against some of Disney's core tenants(such as no sequels to beloved movies), almost ruined the relationship between Pixar and Disney(http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2004/02/the_haunted_mansion.html; http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2012/02/05/steve-jobs-bio-reveals-how-michael-eisner-actively-tried-to-derail-disney-s-acquisition-of-pixar.aspx#.UQqXUGQ4voI), damaged ABC when it was one of the top networks when he bought it (http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2002/08/the_louse_in_the_mouse_house.html), began pushing live action television instead of animation, and did a lot of other things wrong. Yes, he made some good moves during the 80's and and early 90's but he drained the creative spirit of Disney.

In my opinion, Iwata's knowledge of game development and experience allows him a unique insight and connection to Japanese developers that should not be underestimated. It can be argued that the reason why Sakurai is so loyal to Nintendo is due to the relationship the two developed at Hal Labs. His Nintendo Directs and Iwata Asks articles also highlights that he at the very least does have a grasp of the Gaming industry and the difficulties of creating software and hardware. If there is one fault that he has, it is that he focuses too much on current Nintendo fans rather than truly trying to expand to other core markets. One...
---
I am insane. Somethings I say may not make sense. Please take heed. www.brokencontrollers.com What is love?...Baby don't hurt me no more...3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#16so64Posted 1/31/2013 9:37:33 AM
so64 posted...

Eisner was also the one who outsourced Disney's animation to other studios leading to a brain drain of creative talent, went against some of Disney's core tenants(such as no sequels to beloved movies), almost ruined the relationship between Pixar and Disney(http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2004/02/the_haunted_mansion.html; http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2012/02/05/steve-jobs-bio-reveals-how-michael-eisner-actively-tried-to-derail-disney-s-acquisition-of-pixar.aspx#.UQqXUGQ4voI), damaged ABC when it was one of the top networks when he bought it (http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2002/08/the_louse_in_the_mouse_house.html), began pushing live action television instead of animation, and did a lot of other things wrong. Yes, he made some good moves during the 80's and and early 90's but he drained the creative spirit of Disney.

In my opinion, Iwata's knowledge of game development and experience allows him a unique insight and connection to Japanese developers that should not be underestimated. It can be argued that the reason why Sakurai is so loyal to Nintendo is due to the relationship the two developed at Hal Labs. His Nintendo Directs and Iwata Asks articles also highlights that he at the very least does have a grasp of the Gaming industry and the difficulties of creating software and hardware. If there is one fault that he has, it is that he focuses too much on current Nintendo fans rather than truly trying to expand to other core markets. One...
...can see that the Nintendo Directs and Iwata asks are crafted more for the fans of Nintendo. I mean, a regular person is not going to read about what it took to get the Wii U off-screen play to work properly or what the intricacies of programming Style Savvy. Nor will they watch Nintendo Directs, probably preferring E3 if they are gamers at all or waiting for commercials to persuade them to buy certain games. Another flaw is that they do not have strong appealing Western developer to support them and they do not have that many Western developers besides Retro. They need to build up their western development teams to compensate for the lack of Western 3rd party developers.

What I believe should happen at Nintendo is a restructuring, essentially make the CEO position at NCL a co-chair and keep Iwata as one of the chairs and hire someone that understands the western gamers market. Then, consolidate NOE and NOA and place someone that understands both business and the gaming industry.
---
I am insane. Somethings I say may not make sense. Please take heed. www.brokencontrollers.com What is love?...Baby don't hurt me no more...3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#17Genericgamer667Posted 1/31/2013 9:47:27 AM
it's just a rumour by dub gaming journals
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#18JumpmandkPosted 1/31/2013 9:50:17 AM
At the end of the day, Nintendo is a business. The same way Disney is a business. Money is and should be the only concern at the end of the day. Iwata San is a programmer turned business man, IMO the 2 don't mix. Nintendo has to many programmers who run the show, and that leads to creative decsisions VS. practical business ones.

I agree with you that Eisner didn't make all the best choices for Disney, but he brought in funds, and no business anywhere can run without money. I personally hate going to Disneyland as an adult, as it is 99% run with no other concern than how many patrons they can cram in on any given day, and how much they can get them to spend.

The disneyland I enjoyed as a child is gone, but the DL I enjoyed so long ago probably would have gone out of business if it ran the same course that I approved of. Nintendo's best years where when they had free run of the market, and could dictate why and how the industry was run. Since other big names have come to the industry, they have had a hard time of it. They really need to make some HUGE changes to stay relavant in the future.

The WiiU is the first new Nintendo system/handheld that I haven't been interested in at launch, and that Nintendo Direct from last week did absolutely nothing to change my mind. They are showing and preaching to the choir when they had that showing, and they need to show someone like me who owns a regular Wii, that the WiiU is worth my time and money. Currently I just don't see the value, and I don't see that changing anytime soon under Iwata San. If you do what you always have, you'll get what you have always gotten. This is Nintendo in a nut shell.
#19EndgamePosted 1/31/2013 9:58:34 AM
Well, Endgame must be happy about that.

no, because I'm honestly expecting Iwata's stated goal to be met, I don't have any faith in humanity

they're going to rush out another half-assed Mario Kart and then the ignorant masses are going to eat it right up just like MKWii, Iwata's position is secure and he gets to continue ruining Nintendo's legacy
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#20Captain45452Posted 1/31/2013 10:12:16 AM
Resign? I miss the good old days when a samurai would gut themselves for such a failure.