What's a good Pokemon game to start with?

#1Justice98405Posted 1/31/2013 10:06:11 AM
I've been playing (and loving) Ni no Kuni on the PS3, and I keep hearing that it has some significant similarities to the Pokemon games. I've never gotten into Pokemon, or really given them a serious try, so now I'm considering it.

I've got the ability to play these systems: GBA (it's a micro I got for free, so I'd like to stay away from that if possible, screen is so tiny), Gamecube through my Wii, Wii, Wii U and most importantly the DS/3DS since I have a 3DS XL. I'm assuming a DS game would be the best place, but I'm looking for suggestions.

If I'm gonna do this, I want something that's accessible for a brand new player, and most importantly, something I can readily find for a decent price new, online if need be, such as Amazon or where-ever else.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2Ultima_MagikarpPosted 1/31/2013 10:11:20 AM
Firered and Leafgreen (GBA)

They're enhanced versions of Red and Blue, and a good point to get started with the series.
#3TendogamerxxxPosted 1/31/2013 10:12:18 AM
Honestly, I think you should go with black and white and if you like it play black and white 2. I know many people will disagree with me but the reason why I say this is because you might as well play an updated game with all the pokemon available up to date 600+. Also you will have all the pokemon updated states and abilities. Personally it doesnt make sense for you to play an old pokemon game, as good as it may be you I'd think you would want to have as much choice as you possibly can creating your team of monsters and finding your favorites. As a long time pokemon fan since the first RED and BLUE games, I can say that I have found atleast 4 pokemon from each generation that I absolutely love and could not do without.

So my recommendation?

BLACK and WHITE, Then BLACK and white 2:

FYI you can carry your monsters over from Black and white to BLAck and white 2.

have fun.
#4KlRBEHPosted 1/31/2013 10:13:20 AM
Ultima_Magikarp posted...
Firered and Leafgreen (GBA)

They're enhanced versions of Red and Blue, and a good point to get started with the series.

---
http://i.imgur.com/fUaBI.jpg
I NEEDUH MONSTA TA CLOBBA DAT DERE KIRBEH
#5Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 10:17:59 AM
Why Black/White and then Black/White 2? Worth it to play the first and transfer to the second?
And if I get one of those first, which one, Black first or White? And why?
Thanks.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#6AnclationPosted 1/31/2013 10:19:48 AM
I agree with Black or White being the best games to start off with at this point, unless you really hate the Unova Pokemon (and even then, keep in mind that Black & White 2 offers you a much greater selection of Pokemon to catch from early on).
#7TendogamerxxxPosted 1/31/2013 10:21:39 AM
Oh! I forgot to mention! since the new pokemon games X &Y are coming out, Id say its a good idea to start with black and white as Im sure there will be an option to transfer your old pokemon from those games to Y & X. I dont know about you guys but sometimes you work too hard on a pokemon to just lose it, plus you get attached to it :-)

At this point as a newcomer black and white is pretty n00b friendly, and if you like it there a high chance you will be able to carry your stuff over to X & Y. I mean you could do it from green & red but you probably have to go through a few games to get them to a more updated game later one... hassle if you ask me.
#8TendogamerxxxPosted 1/31/2013 10:25:49 AM
As far as Black or White goes, thats entirely up to you. As a new comer you have the option and looking at the box art and deciding which legendary looks cooler to you and you would like to have. I personally like Zekrom (black) . I would start with black and white first then black and white 2 just because black and white 2 are sequels. Although you could start with those if you like.
#9RayzerTagPosted 1/31/2013 10:28:53 AM(edited)
Black 2 or White 2.

I'd advise you to avoid the remakes (Firered/Leafgreen/Heartgold/Soulsilver) if you don't have any nostalgia for the originals, the worlds are pretty bland.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#10RapidFireAlPosted 1/31/2013 11:37:41 AM
I hadn't played Pokemon since the originals and recently picked up Black/White 2. Enjoying it a ton so far -- not a steep learning curve, either.