SD Card? (Code of Princess size, btw?)

#1auronrenouillePosted 1/31/2013 7:01:00 PM
So I'm planning on downloading Fire Emblem as I didn't get my pre-order through in time. I've found that I'm downloading half my games (Paper Marior, NSMB2, Fire Emblem) and buying cartridges for the other half (Theatrhythm, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Super Mario 3D, Etrian Odyssey). I travel a lot, so having a lot of games on my system is attractive to me, rather than having to use a larger carrying case with room for all of the cartridges.

I'm already ordering something unrelated from Amazon so, if I need to buy an SD card, today's the day to do it and get free shipping. Are there any SD card restrictions unique to the 3DS? Can I just get a plain vanilla Amazon SD card? I can get 16GB for only $11.22, which seems a reasonable price to me. Or should I go bigger? I figure that SD card prices will continue to drop as we go, so if I need to upgrade again, it'll be cheaper and I can give the 16 GB card to my camera as a spare.

Also, anyone happen to know Code of Princess's file size? If no-one knows I can post it over on their board but figured that, if I could kill two birds with one stone, I would...

Thanks!
---
- Time is a river, and history repeats.
#2so64Posted 1/31/2013 7:03:36 PM
32 GB is the standard limit SD card the 3DS uses, though one can surpass this by reformatting a higher capacity card to FAT32 using your computer.
---
I am insane. Somethings I say may not make sense. Please take heed. www.brokencontrollers.com What is love?...Baby don't hurt me no more...3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#3AerilynnPosted 1/31/2013 7:16:50 PM
Code of Princess is 9183 Blocks.
---
|FC: 2793-1644-8581|Pokemon W2 FC: 1077-9939-6642| Please PM me if you added me!
CP: |CoP|HM:ANB~Aeri of Senlyn Farm|UB|Pokemon Conquest|MMZX:A|
#4auronrenouille(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 7:19:54 PM
Thanks, folks :). -Do I need a Class 10, or is Class 4 kosher?
---
#5ObtuseAnginaPosted 1/31/2013 7:23:45 PM
auronrenouille posted...
Thanks, folks :). -Do I need a Class 10, or is Class 4 kosher?

The only thing class means is the read/write time of the card
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg http://www.stacksofdoom.com
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,....I'd give my life. Not for honor, but for you!
#6auronrenouille(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 7:27:28 PM
Aye, I know, sorry, I wasn't clear - since I may upgrade all the way to 32GB, is a Class 4 32GB card going to feel slower than a Class 4 4GB card, since the 4GB has less data to sort through to begin with?

Sorry, thank you :).
---
#7DogscratchPosted 2/1/2013 9:20:02 AM
I have a 64GB SDXC card - class 10 card in mine. ~480000 blocks available.

The load times are -exactly- the same as the class 4 4GB Card that came with my system. Takes a couple seconds for the icons for the titles to load up, I timed it at about 4 seconds after the home screen first comes up on a cold boot.

Only trick for the 64GB card is it uses exfat, I believe you can either command line format the card to Fat32, or do a bit of Googling for a exfat to fat32 formatting application. I believe I hit a link off sourceforge with a program that was ~71k in size to take care of it.
---
Machine meat and Blood in an intimate relationship
The new superior more effective then all the preceding