If I liked Tales of Symphonia, what are the chances...

#1Dark_cloud500Posted 2/1/2013 4:36:14 PM
that Tales of the Abyss would be a good fit for me? Does it have the interesting story and real-time random encounters like symphonia?
---
Currently Playing; Goldeneye 007, RE: Mercenaries 3D, LoZ: OoT 3D
#2EvilSock1990Posted 2/1/2013 4:37:02 PM
TotA >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ToS
#3NettoSaitoPosted 2/1/2013 4:42:48 PM
It's the next step up from ToS, so yeah lol; everything about it has been upgraded. It's the game that brought the free run system into play, monsters are actually monsters on the world map and not random shadows, it has an economy system which changes with the game, it has a LOT more side quests (you need to follow a side quest guide or else you'll miss a lot of the game), it has plot twists, and a very good story to go along with them. Still chances are you will HATE Luke up until a set point, and that's when the game will get good/the game will truly start.

Also characters depend on your style of play. If you like sword users, use Luke or Guy.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#4Dark_cloud500(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 4:46:03 PM
NettoSaito posted...
It's the next step up from ToS, so yeah lol; everything about it has been upgraded. It's the game that brought the free run system into play, monsters are actually monsters on the world map and not random shadows, it has an economy system which changes with the game, it has a LOT more side quests (you need to follow a side quest guide or else you'll miss a lot of the game), it has plot twists, and a very good story to go along with them. Still chances are you will HATE Luke up until a set point, and that's when the game will get good/the game will truly start.

Also characters depend on your style of play. If you like sword users, use Luke or Guy.

Sounds great! This isn't as important, but does it have the monster capturing system from Dawn of the New World? I spent many hours hunting down monsters for my groups and it was a fun distraction from the quests every now and then.
---
Currently Playing; Goldeneye 007, RE: Mercenaries 3D, LoZ: OoT 3D
#5SMASHKING84Posted 2/1/2013 4:47:00 PM
abyss is my favorite tales game but symphonia is a close 2nd
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#6360pagesPosted 2/1/2013 4:57:30 PM
The gameplay is better, but the characters probably would want to make you punch a wall how much of **** they are. And no I'm not just talking about Luke, I'm talking about everyone...Well except Guy he's cool.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#7MinamoPosted 2/1/2013 5:14:42 PM(edited)
Combat-wise: TotA > ToS

Character-wise: ToS >TotA
Story-wise: ToS >TotA
Graphics-wise: ToS >TotA
Everything else not listed-wise: ToS >TotA

A portable ToS would have been a better sell in the US.

Like the above poster mentioned, every character sucks so hard it brings the entire game crashing down. I really tried to like some of them (especially Anise), but the game continually makes you hate them more and more. Natalia, and to a lesser extent Guy, were the only decent characters by the end of the game.

I really wanted to like Anise, Tear, and Jade, but the plot wouldn't let me. Luke sucked the entire way, don't be fooled by promises of him getting better; you trade a jackass for a moron apologist, its still a **** character.
#8SMASHKING84Posted 2/1/2013 5:14:49 PM
Minamo posted...

Character-wise: ToS=TotA
Story-wise: ToS < TotA
Graphics-wise: ToS <TotA
Difficulty Tos < TotA(I like the fact it's easy but not AS easy as phantasia)

A portable ToS would have been just as good of a sell in the US.

i'm just qouting this to show how i feel by changing things.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#9360pagesPosted 2/1/2013 5:57:55 PM
Minamo posted...

Character-wise: ToS >TotA
Story-wise: ToS >TotA
Graphics-wise: ToS >TotA
Everything else not listed-wise: ToS >TotA

A portable ToS would have been a better sell in the US.

Like the above poster mentioned, every character sucks so hard it brings the entire game crashing down. I really tried to like some of them (especially Anise), but the game continually makes you hate them more and more. Natalia, and to a lesser extent Guy, were the only decent characters by the end of the game.

I really wanted to like Anise, Tear, and Jade, but the plot wouldn't let me. Luke sucked the entire way, don't be fooled by promises of him getting better; you trade a jackass for a moron apologist, its still a **** character.

Made even worse, when Jade probably knew about a certain plot point and did nothing, sure a scene later states that he feels bad about, to bad no one really cares about that.

Luke was a jerkass in the beginning, but at least that was unique and I would have enjoyed it more if he slowly changed with being around other people. Then the writers forcing him by a plot device that made everyone hate him even when they had just as much to do with the fail as he did.

Tear is boring, like really boring. She is probably the dullest character in the main cast, and she barely changes, well the game tells you that she did, but she really didn't learn anything from her experiences. She's like Yuri, but unlike Yuri who is kind of flat but entertaining. Tear is just a glass of water.

Anise, was horrible and how that whole situation was horrible. When you want the bad guy to kill her that is a problem with the character.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#10malfionPosted 2/1/2013 6:14:33 PM
The characters were pretty poor, in my opinion, which is why I enjoyed ToS more overall. BUT, Abyss is like upgraded everything else with a similar gameplay style.
---
http://i.imgflip.com/5mil.gif