How to start Pokemon again?

#1AAANGRYPosted 2/1/2013 11:37:41 PM
Hi all
Years ago, i played and loved Pokemon Red on my Gameboy. Traded with neighbours with my link cable, and collected all 150 pokemon - played it to death.

Then i lost interest somehow.

Recently i have seen all these new games come out for pokemon over the last few years and i wondered if it was still as good.

So, if i wanted to get back into Pokemon again - with my last played Pokemon game being Pokemon red - where would i start? Is it possible to enjoy it all over again?
---
You can't have pie without Cool Hwhip - Stewie
#2jedinatPosted 2/1/2013 11:40:55 PM
You've waited this long, I'd just wait for Pokemon X/Y now...
#3evilsquirrlePosted 2/1/2013 11:41:16 PM
The only game where story/knowledge of past games would be a barrier is Black 2 and White 2, with it's story being a direct sequel...and even then, who plays Pokemon for the story anyway?

I recommend starting with Black/White 2, Black/White, Platinum, or Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Just whichever one strikes your fancy.

Black/White 2 are by far the most refined.

However, HG/SS are the closest things to direct sequels the original game has, so you might be more comfortable with those.
#4mmpepsiPosted 2/1/2013 11:42:39 PM
Start with Black or White then move onto the sequels if you like it.

Even if you want to play Black or White 2 instead it's not a big deal. It is a direct sequel, but the Pokemon games are always pretty light on story.
#5AAANGRY(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 11:44:28 PM
Ok, yeah im more worried about not knowing all the Pokemon etc.

For example, in Red i knew every Pokemon and who they would evolve into etc - but there was only 150. Now there is probably OVER 9000 Pokemon.

So if i started with Black/White, are the same 150 pokemon already in there PLUS the new pokemon?
---
You can't have pie without Cool Hwhip - Stewie
#6SMASHKING84Posted 2/1/2013 11:45:26 PM
I'd start with hg/ss if you don't want to pick up gba games. if you think you might want to pick up gba games try to find emerald or fire red/leaf green. the original gameboy games won't even work now because they use a battery to save that dies after arround 15 years...
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
"I'll wait for you here it what princess do from what i understand it's kind of a family tradition."
#7evilsquirrlePosted 2/1/2013 11:49:07 PM
AAANGRY posted...
Ok, yeah im more worried about not knowing all the Pokemon etc.

For example, in Red i knew every Pokemon and who they would evolve into etc - but there was only 150. Now there is probably OVER 9000 Pokemon.

So if i started with Black/White, are the same 150 pokemon already in there PLUS the new pokemon?

None of the original 150 are in Black/White until after you beat the game. But every Pokemon EVER made is available after you beat the Pokemon League(though you have to trade for some.) Black/White are the only games in the series to do this. In all of the others, at least a few old Pokemon were thrown into the mix early on.

As for knowing evolutions, etc...
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon.shtml
This should help.

If you're feeling nostalgic and want lots of old Pokemon, try Heart Gold/ Soul Silver. There's a lot of classics in those, and the original areas from the first game are there too.
#8lambchipsPosted 2/1/2013 11:54:51 PM
get heartgold/soul silver
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#9gilv3rPosted 2/2/2013 12:38:41 AM
lambchips posted...

---
Awaiting: PoE OB, Metal Gear Rising, and Last of Us
#10NathanisDrakePosted 2/2/2013 12:44:01 AM
gilv3r posted...
lambchips posted...

---
http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/3ds-it-prints-money.gif // http://i.cubeupload.com/F9TsUH.gif
Vita PSN : NateisD