How does the 3DS region locking work?

#1Don_Equals_B7Posted 2/2/2013 4:33:33 PM
Is it totally region locked or can I play JP games that don't have any online features on my US system?
---
i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz | EVGA GTX660 Ti FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 | ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 | Antec EA-650 | Corsair 400R
http://i.imgur.com/GYryi.gif
#2Black_AssassinPosted 2/2/2013 4:55:00 PM
Don_Equals_B7 posted...
can I play JP games on my US system?

No.
#3poptarts22Posted 2/2/2013 4:56:13 PM
It's the games that are region locked, so you can still play JP DS games like Ouendan, just not JP 3DS games.
#4Kaze_MemaryuPosted 2/3/2013 4:07:35 AM
Someone told me that when the 3DS tries to boot up a game in the Home Menu, the game cart sends its Region ID to the system and the system looks if the Boot Menu has the same Region ID. If yes, the game will be displayed properly - if not, nothing happens.
Iwata once even mentioned that the region lock could be removed easily if they actually wanted to.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#5Black_AssassinPosted 2/3/2013 4:29:36 AM
Kaze_Memaryu posted...
Iwata once even mentioned that the region lock could be removed easily if they actually wanted to.

Might you have a link?
#6IHeartMetroidPosted 2/3/2013 11:46:23 AM(edited)
" the region lock could be removed easily if they actually wanted to"

The "wanted to" part is the big thing here.

You see, Nintendo's always been real big on region locking. That stupid blink that the original NES did? It was because of Nintendo's lockout chip, which was notoriously fickle. They implemented region lock on the Super NES, too, and the N64 and GameCube.

The place Nintendo DIDN'T region lock was its handheld divisions, and that was because they were run by the master genius Gumpei Yokoi. He designed game systems to be FUN- that meant that instead of monstrous, battery sucking, made- by-committee machines, you got the Game Boy, and GBC. The GBA followed in his design philosophy, but after he died Nintendo stopped paying much attention to that philosophy.

Nintendo Handheld Systems are now designed by the same people that do the consoles-

Which means the anti-consumer region locking crap that's been part of their home systems from the very start is now ingrained into their handhelds.

And they're never, ever going to change.