Please help me to understand something

#1EdwardDigitalPosted 2/3/2013 12:05:32 AM
I figured I'd post here since the 3DS board will have more traffic than an individual game board on the the DS.

I understand that the game The World Ends With You has a popular cult following and that lots of people enjoy it as one of the best RPGs of its time. Because of that and because I bought KH3D (which one of my coworkers said there was a part of the game I would appreciate better if I knew TWEWY backstory) I bought TWEWY cheap and started to play it.

IT IS MY OPINION (therefore not fact) that this game is boring and feels like a chore. I don't feel charmed or compelled to play to see what happens next. It feels bland to me and I'm forcing myself to get through it. I guess its just one of those games that I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why everyone else enjoys it. It feels average at best to me, but I'm forcing myself to finish it so I can go onto KH3D and get this game out of my backlog.

What is it about this game that you find appealing? Help me to understand what everyone else sees.
#2jedinatPosted 2/3/2013 12:11:16 AM(edited)
It's just not that great. Don't worry about it, lol. If people could actually understand that they shouldn't enjoy the crappy things they enjoy, the world would be in a much more rational and appreciable state. But alas...

It's the same problem with you apparently liking Kingdom Hearts. I have to put up with this prevalence of that series because of this whole mess...
#3EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:19:39 AM
jedinat posted...
It's just not that great. Don't worry about it, lol. If people could actually understand that they shouldn't enjoy the crappy things they enjoy, the world would be in a much more rational and appreciable state. But alas...

It's the same problem with you apparently liking Kingdom Hearts. I have to put up with this prevalence of that series because of this whole mess...

I dont "like" Kingdom Hearts per se. I mean I play some of the games but I dont necessarily think I'm a fan of the series if that makes any sense. They cool games but I won't go out of my way to play every single one.

To date I've played Chain of Memories (never completed) and Re:coded which by the end of the game I was royally confused by what had happened.
#41upsuperPosted 2/3/2013 12:22:24 AM
If you don't like it you don't like it. You shouldn't feel the need to have others convince you your opinion is wrong. A lot of people love it, including myself, but no game is for everyone.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#5EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:25:20 AM
1upsuper posted...
If you don't like it you don't like it. You shouldn't feel the need to have others convince you your opinion is wrong. A lot of people love it, including myself, but no game is for everyone.

I'm not trying to get people to convince me of anything. I just wanted to start a discussion to hear why people like it.
#6PokeMasterPosted 2/3/2013 12:28:47 AM
I loved the soundtrack more than the game.
Not sure if the soundtracks are the same in the JPN / ENG versions though
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#7Tzuba12Posted 2/3/2013 12:31:05 AM
EdwardDigital posted...
jedinat posted...

I dont "like" Kingdom Hearts per se. I mean I play some of the games but I dont necessarily think I'm a fan of the series if that makes any sense. They cool games but I won't go out of my way to play every single one.

To date I've played Chain of Memories (never completed) and Re:coded which by the end of the game I was royally confused by what had happened.

Can't believe you actually answered him seriously.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#8TakayaNorikoPosted 2/3/2013 12:32:52 AM
jedinat posted...

Whoa, relax dude. You're acting like he said he liked Harvest Moon or something.
---
Before you came, they were took care of it.
#9EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:34:29 AM
Tzuba12 posted...
EdwardDigital posted...
jedinat posted...

Can't believe you actually answered him seriously.

I wasn't supposed to?
#10GoldenJoe24Posted 2/3/2013 12:34:47 AM
If you can enjoy Kingdom Hearts, but not The World Ends With You, then congratulations. You're the reason Square stopped making good games. Enjoy your button mashing bookended by cutscenes depicting a twisted mess of a story.