10 years of "Play Chrono Trigger!" and I've finally started it.

#1656stoogePosted 2/3/2013 10:22:48 AM
Should have played this game years ago. That music! Damn it's good. I'm 30 hours in and loving every minute of it. Also loving the DS features (mainly the non-cluttered screen).

Next up, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#2GenkiPosted 2/3/2013 10:28:44 AM
656stooge posted...
Should have played this game years ago. That music! Damn it's good. I'm 30 hours in and loving every minute of it. Also loving the DS features (mainly the non-cluttered screen).

Next up, Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Now you know why loose Chrono Trigger for the SNES were selling for over $100 on eBay at one time. These day it's around $50 for loose cart, more with original box, manual, and poster.
---
3DS friend code 1762-2819-7829
#3fuzi11Posted 2/3/2013 10:34:50 AM
I love love love Chrono Trigger and I got it last month for christmas/birthday from a friend (because I was whining for three years, how it is impossible to get a copy without spending a fortune).

As I live in Germany I never had the chance to officially play the game on the SNES, so this is actually the very first time I play it the way it was meant to be (meaning without savestates). Somehow it got a lot harder XD
#4StealthlysPosted 2/3/2013 10:36:29 AM
I love CT. Especially on DS.
#5MogMoogle1Posted 2/3/2013 10:39:29 AM
Chrono Trigger is one of my top favorite RPGs of all time, but I only have a couple of complaints about the game...

1) The battle mechanics were unique how each ability has their usefulness. All of this became null and pointless when full screen ultimate attacks became available.

2) The final boss's involvement in the main game. Sure it was mentioned throughout the game, but Magus feels more like the main villain than Lavos... even the queen would have been a better main villain than Lavos.
---
~~~PSN: YukiSeraph
Persona 4 Golden: http://i.imgur.com/Ui84Q.gif
#6BlueBombei2Posted 2/3/2013 10:48:21 AM
MogMoogle1 posted...
Chrono Trigger is one of my top favorite RPGs of all time, but I only have a couple of complaints about the game...

1) The battle mechanics were unique how each ability has their usefulness. All of this became null and pointless when full screen ultimate attacks became available.

2) The final boss's involvement in the main game. Sure it was mentioned throughout the game, but Magus feels more like the main villain than Lavos... even the queen would have been a better main villain than Lavos.

I completely disagree with number 2. Lavos is mentioned many times and is even the reason you are plunged into the past. After you go to the future the point becomes clear. Lavos is the bringing of the end of the world. What the Queen does is because of Lavos. Magus isn't even a villain after half way through the game so he doesn't feel like the main villain at all. Seems like its been awhile since you've played it and you forgot some key plot points. I suggest playing through it again. It's totally worth it.
#7keyblader1985Posted 2/3/2013 10:52:42 AM
Yeah, it's fantastic. I never played it until about '09 when I got it on DS.

The music may be the overall best I've ever heard in a video game.
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#8MogMoogle1Posted 2/3/2013 10:54:39 AM
BlueBombei2 posted...
I completely disagree with number 2. Lavos is mentioned many times and is even the reason you are plunged into the past. After you go to the future the point becomes clear. Lavos is the bringing of the end of the world. What the Queen does is because of Lavos. Magus isn't even a villain after half way through the game so he doesn't feel like the main villain at all. Seems like its been awhile since you've played it and you forgot some key plot points. I suggest playing through it again. It's totally worth it.

I have already said that Lavos has been mentioned throughout the game, but I am getting at is that I want a villain that is more directly involved, like a Kefka, rather than something that sits on its butt and have indirect influences on everything. And yes, I know that those I mentioned generally had their involvement end premature to the game's end, but something like a fusion with Lavos and become something like a true final boss would, in my opinon, be better.
---
#9BlueBombei2Posted 2/3/2013 10:57:39 AM
MogMoogle1 posted...
BlueBombei2 posted...

I have already said that Lavos has been mentioned throughout the game, but I am getting at is that I want a villain that is more directly involved, like a Kefka, rather than something that sits on its butt and have indirect influences on everything. And yes, I know that those I mentioned generally had their involvement end premature to the game's end, but something like a fusion with Lavos and become something like a true final boss would, in my opinon, be better.

Still disagree.. when something bites it mid game I would hardly even think they could be a final boss. There are great RPGs guilty of having out of no where final bosses that are far worse than Chrono Trigger. At least you know of the involvement and everyone who is involved worships said entity.
#10MogMoogle1Posted 2/3/2013 11:03:22 AM
BlueBombei2 posted...
Still disagree.. when something bites it mid game I would hardly even think they could be a final boss. There are great RPGs guilty of having out of no where final bosses that are far worse than Chrono Trigger. At least you know of the involvement and everyone who is involved worships said entity.

Well, that's fine, it's just my personal opinion on that issue, and it doesn't mean that I dislike Chrono Trigger either.
---