Fire Emblem: Awkening Digital or Physical?

#3190sRetroGamingPosted 2/3/2013 4:16:52 PM(edited)
Torajima posted...
90sRetroGaming posted...
See, the thing about these two digital items is that they are NOT tied to the actual hardware itself, but CAN be freely moved anywhere you damn well please. e-books are PDF files and music are usually either AAC's or MP3's. AAC's have little to no restrictions and MP3's have ZERO restrictions. something purchased software from the eShop does NOT.

Most purchased ebooks have some sort of DRM and iTunes music had DRM restrictions (and were tied to your hardware) for many years, if they don't still.

Nintendo is new at this and I suspect we'll see improvements over the next couple of years, but if you place eshop games on an SD card with zero restrictions, what do you think the end result would be?

I'm guessing it will lead to bankruptcy.

iTunes (since early 2009) has been selling non-DRM'd "iTunes Plus" music files in their store. NO RESTRICTIONS aside what devices/music players can actually play/reconize them. they can be moved anywhere and backed up at anytime. your computer crashes or completely dies?. SOL. buying a new computer?.. you have all of your purchases backed up on a 64-128 SD card/USB stick. move them right back exactly as was on your old hard drive. simple as that.

Granted the only e-books i have (that i know off the top of my head) are the ones to my current Best Buy @Gamer "Digital Edition" magazine subscription. zero DRM. i have them on the family PC, my mini netbook and on my iPod Touch. feels good!.

Everyone's eShop purchases are tied to the hardware itself with no way of backing them up. it's crazy. it's crazy in 2013 that people are still having to ask Nintendo for something as simple as this...
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#32poopfeasts420Posted 2/3/2013 5:38:46 PM
I'm getting digital just because I'm getting the bundle but I would really like physical
---
I AM DAVE EXCLAMATION MARK YOGNAUGHT
#33LonelyGoombaPosted 2/3/2013 5:44:15 PM
ever since my 3ds was stolen, i never download games now since Nintendo do not have a proper account system yet
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
Please check out my YT channel, even if you hate it, it's fine.
#34musumanePosted 2/3/2013 6:14:38 PM
As much as I hate to say this, if your system gets stolen, chances are it is your fault ( not saying "always" but there is a good chance it was your fault ). I do agree Nintendo needs to get a better system for downloads ( account based instead of system based ).

In terms of the 3DS getting broken? You can get your stuff back, usually it does cost money, but if it breaks because of something YOU did , you should be responsible. It is like saying Sony owes me a new MK II game because my disc broke when i tried ejecting it, ultimately it was my fault.
---
Haku (or Jinsei Shinzaki or whatever name he goes by nowadays) is badass.! - 619King
#35aamotPosted 2/3/2013 6:35:21 PM
This hate of downloadable titles borders on irrational fear out here.

-If your 3DS is lost or stolen, there's a good chance that whatever game cartridges you keep with it will be gone too.
-There's no true account system, but your downloads are tied to your serial number. If you send a broken unit in to Nintendo, they will (as has been confirmed by people on this board) replace your downloaded titles.
-If someone nails your 3DS to a chair in a flaming building, you have far more important issues than the fate of Smashville.

-And of course they will charge you to repair a unit that is out of warranty. Shame on you 90sRetro lol.

I entirely acknowledge that Nintendo eShop isn't as ideal as most digital media services, and in certain instances problems can arise, but it's not nearly as diabolical as people out here make it seem.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#36LonelyGoombaPosted 2/3/2013 6:59:45 PM
musumane posted...
As much as I hate to say this, if your system gets stolen, chances are it is your fault ( not saying "always" but there is a good chance it was your fault ). I do agree Nintendo needs to get a better system for downloads ( account based instead of system based ).

In terms of the 3DS getting broken? You can get your stuff back, usually it does cost money, but if it breaks because of something YOU did , you should be responsible. It is like saying Sony owes me a new MK II game because my disc broke when i tried ejecting it, ultimately it was my fault.

yup. it was my fault for bringing my 3ds to work and putting it in a locker I guess....
cause portable devices aren't supposed to be used outside the house.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
Please check out my YT channel, even if you hate it, thats fine.
#37StealthlysPosted 2/3/2013 7:02:49 PM
Physical.
#38Makeveli_livesPosted 2/3/2013 8:33:27 PM
Semi45a posted...
The physical copy of the fire emblem game probably won't be worth too much.

Lol, that's a good one. Go run a quick search on PoR and RD new and used. IIRC, PoR is $80 used. Disc only.

Those aren't available digitally. I remember MvC 2 on the PS2 selling for like over a hundred bucks a year ago on ebay. Now they're lucky to get more then like 30 if they sell them. The physical copy of Fire Emblem is probably never going to go up past the first two weeks or so if that long, and that's only because of the 'shortage' created by manufacturing errors or whatever.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6142 0263
3DS FC: 0087 2410 1340
#39EsracPosted 2/3/2013 8:37:27 PM
aamot posted...
This hate of downloadable titles borders on irrational fear out here.

-If your 3DS is lost or stolen, there's a good chance that whatever game cartridges you keep with it will be gone too.
-There's no true account system, but your downloads are tied to your serial number. If you send a broken unit in to Nintendo, they will (as has been confirmed by people on this board) replace your downloaded titles.
-If someone nails your 3DS to a chair in a flaming building, you have far more important issues than the fate of Smashville.

-And of course they will charge you to repair a unit that is out of warranty. Shame on you 90sRetro lol.

I entirely acknowledge that Nintendo eShop isn't as ideal as most digital media services, and in certain instances problems can arise, but it's not nearly as diabolical as people out here make it seem.

The shop isn't necessarily diabolical, but it is really a huge step backward compared to other digital distribution systems.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Esrac
#40Bancario51(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 8:40:43 PM
Makeveli_lives posted...
Semi45a posted...
The physical copy of the fire emblem game probably won't be worth too much.

Lol, that's a good one. Go run a quick search on PoR and RD new and used. IIRC, PoR is $80 used. Disc only.

Those aren't available digitally. I remember MvC 2 on the PS2 selling for like over a hundred bucks a year ago on ebay. Now they're lucky to get more then like 30 if they sell them. The physical copy of Fire Emblem is probably never going to go up past the first two weeks or so if that long, and that's only because of the 'shortage' created by manufacturing errors or whatever.

I don't think being able to play it legally digitally as anything to do with it honestly. if people really wanted to play it they already could other ways. He's talking about the collectors value of it.
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~