I'm thinking of getting a 3ds Xl

#1TombStoneChuckyPosted 2/3/2013 6:27:54 PM
I'm wondering if it's worth the money?
Is the battery as good as other systems, with the bigger screen and all?
Is it fun to play games in 3d or does it hurt your eyes or come in weird?

And any other miscellaneous info will be appreciated.
Thanks
#2poptarts22Posted 2/3/2013 6:30:45 PM
The 3D WILL give you a headache the first few days (thankfully, there is a 3D slider to bring down the intensity).

After that you will be able to play fine and will start to prefer 3D as it will feel like something is just "missing' when you don't have the subtle field of depth.
#3AtykymPosted 2/3/2013 6:36:02 PM
xbox360gta4 posted...
I'm wondering if it's worth the money?
Is the battery as good as other systems, with the bigger screen and all?
Is it fun to play games in 3d or does it hurt your eyes or come in weird?

And any other miscellaneous info will be appreciated.
Thanks

If you are a fan of Nintendo games, 3ds will bring you tons of joy. Soon more games will come out and that's awesome. 3D depends on what game you are playing. For most parts, it will be excelent.
---
3ds Friend Code: 2406-5195-4198
#4aamotPosted 2/3/2013 6:45:24 PM(edited)
edit: Yeah, it's totally worth the money if you plan on keeping it. A lot of people on this site have bought it, while having no interest in Nintendo or handheld gaming only to trade it in at a fraction of the price. If you normally hate Nintendo products or handheld gaming, you probably still won't like the 3DS.

Re: Battery life. I get about 3-4 hours with max settings (power saver mode off, because it's gross) before the battery runs down to half.

The only issues I've ever had with 3D discomfort is when I've been drinking that night or a lot the night before. It makes me feel like I could puke after a short while.

Otherwise, if you're playing sitting up or lying down fairly normally the 3D should be fine. The 3D generally only gets weird if you're lying at an odd angle or on your side - any position where the game can't be reliably faced right at you.

And if you use any of the gyroscopic features (aiming in Resident Evil Revelations; steering in Mario Kart 7; searching for Denpa Men; first-person-viewing in Zelda 3D) you'll want to temporarily turn off the 3D. Or else everything gets really crazy.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#5CW Boi 209Posted 2/3/2013 6:52:02 PM
Yes, it's definitely worth the extra $30. Aside from having bigger screens which can be a huge improvement for some, for that much more money you get:

- Huge improvement on battery life

- No screen scratching issue where the top screen is scratched by the bottom screen when the 3DS is in your pocket (At least I haven't had any yet )

- Standby mode consumes less battery life than the regular model does (From what I've heard at least)

- 3D sweet spot is wider (Though I've never had this problem on my old 3DS other than with OoT at times, I did notice an improvement for OoT, and I've heard other people claim this as well)

There are possibly some other things I am forgetting. The only drawback is that the XL's speakers are inferior to the original's, but that's only because the top half of the system is a lot thinner, which meant that Nintendo had to downgrade them. Doesn't matter if you use headphones to listen though.
---
Visual Novel Project - When The Owls Sing
Engine - Ren'Py
#6LonelyGoombaPosted 2/3/2013 6:54:32 PM
it's a solid purchase

saying it will give you a headache is stupid. it didn't give me headaches.
it takes sometime to get used to the 3d, might make you feel a little weird but headaches are not guaranteed.

also it has solid games
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
Please check out my YT channel, even if you hate it, thats fine.
#7JoeHigashi2000Posted 2/3/2013 7:09:59 PM
Yes it is.
---
GT: J03HIG45HI PS3/Vita: JoeHigashi2000 3DS: 0817-3804-7210
#8hardknock55Posted 2/3/2013 7:13:16 PM
Yes its worth it, you should've caught the bestbuy sale that ended yesterday for $169.99
---
3DS XL FC:4355-9696-1275
NintendoNetwork:RetroReese88
#9KaitaNuvaPosted 2/3/2013 8:05:32 PM
^Eh, there's still a 3DS XL + MK7 for $200 on Newegg. They usually don't tax like Bestbuy does. ($190 if you create a new Newegg account)
---
Rosewill Challenger | HannsG 21.5" | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 @3.7GHz | Sapphire HD 6850 1GB @875/1075 | 4gb ddr2 667 | Corsair 400w
#10hatemakingnamesPosted 2/3/2013 9:50:11 PM
3d makes games look better. Just use lower intensities if it bothers your eyes.

If you're among the few people who have completely broken eyes that can't perceive depth correctly, you can turn the 3D off.

And I paid more for the original than they're selling the XL...so I think XL is worth the price :P