Poll: Nintendo implements Unified Account System tomorrow: what changes?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 2/3/2013 11:31:01 PM
If Nintendo implemented a UAS, how would it effect your eShop spending habits? - Results (165 votes)
I would spend less money on the eShop than I do right now
3.03% (5 votes)
I would spend about the same amount of money on the eShop as I do right now
42.42% (70 votes)
I would spend a little bit more ($0-10) more per year than I do right now
11.52% (19 votes)
I would spend more ($11-50) more per year than I do right now
16.97% (28 votes)
I would spend a lot more ($51+) per year than I do right now
26.06% (43 votes)
This poll is now closed.
!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!
If you do not know what a "Unified Account System" is, please skip to the bottom of the post.
!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!

I got to thinking, if Nintendo implemented a unified account system tomorrow, I'd probably start buying a lot more games digital. Hell, I'd buy those high-frequency-usage games right off the bat--stuff like Fire Emblem and Zelda. That's $80 bucks for Nintendo right there, with no nasty production, distribution or sales fees to cut into the profits.

And, I figured... if I represent just one percent of one percent of the 3DS userbase....

According to Forbes, roughly 4.5 million 3DS systems were sold in the United States alone during its first year (we're now in Year 2, by the way). That's 4,500,000. One percent of one percent is 0.01%. So, if I were indicative of that one-one-hundredth-of-one-one-hundredth demographic, I'd represent 450 3DS owners. (And in case it's not obvious, I'm getting that 0.0001 by making the most conservative estimate I can imagine, and cutting away 99% of it). Which, in turn, would mean I would represent $36,000 of potential profit on the first day with a UAS alone.

Which seems pretty goddamn significant to me.

So, I'm making a poll. Even though I think I already know what the result will be, and even though I think Nintendo would have access to the same sort of information and its result.... the fact that there is no indication that Nintendo has the slightest inclination toward creating a Unified Account System seems to speak otherwise.

---

What is a UNIFIED ACCOUNT SYSTEM?
Basically, it just means that digital content would be tied to user accounts instead of physical hardware (which is the current model). Virtually every other major digital retail service (iTunes, Playstation Network, Xbox Live, Amazon, Steam, etc.) uses the Unified Account Model. So, for example, if you buy a game of the PSN, you can download it to mulitple PS3s and play it, provided you log-in to your PSN account. Should your PS3 break down or get stolen, you can de-activate the lost system online and move on with your life. Nintendo does not do this. If your Wii or 3DS or whatever breaks, or gets stolen, all of the digital content you purchased is lost forever. You can't do a damned thing but buy everything again and hope that your new, expensive piece of technology you're taking with you everywhere never breaks.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2Canas_RenvallPosted 2/3/2013 11:47:02 PM
I would buy the same as usual. I'm in the process of downloading FE: Awakening right now, actually! Got Gunman Clive yesterday, too. I don't usually spend a LOT on the eShop, but I'm starting to enjoy downloading my full games (I also have Paper Mario: Sticker Star). I would love a UAS, but I take good care of my systems so I'm not worried in the slightest. On top of that, all it takes is a call to Nintendo to look at my Club Nintendo purchase history and if/when I got a new 3DSXL I'd be good to go.
---
I don't see Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony. I see Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Resident Evil, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, etc. Play games, not companies.
#3aak57Posted 2/3/2013 11:49:22 PM
I'd be more likely to purchase stuff from them, but only if they actually had sales and such. Or at least offered the digital version for a bit less. As lol as Vita is, Sony is doing digital games far better than Nintendo.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#4BuretsuPosted 2/3/2013 11:49:52 PM
The only way I could see people spending less is if some sort of Steam-like DRM gets set up on the accounts, where your access to your games is dependent on agreeing to Nintendo's ToS and can be taken away.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#5sentoworfPosted 2/4/2013 12:21:17 AM
I would actually buy stuff digitally
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#6blazeairPosted 2/4/2013 12:44:46 AM
aak57 posted...
I'd be more likely to purchase stuff from them, but only if they actually had sales and such. Or at least offered the digital version for a bit less. As lol as Vita is, Sony is doing digital games far better than Nintendo.

This, the eshop is ridiculously overpriced.
---
Vita PSN: Blazeaire 3DS FC: 5112-4721-7123
~Sexy, Free & Single I'm ready to...BINGO!~
#7DeathSoul2000Posted 2/4/2013 3:37:42 AM
it wouldn't change a thing as they'd still be friend codes in disguise.
#890sRetroGamingPosted 2/4/2013 4:26:30 AM
I would spend a lot more ($51+) per year than I do right now

This is all it would take for me to spend more on there than i do now. a simple user account system. all people wanted was to have peace of mind when making purchases. that's it.. i still don't understand how Nintendo isn't getting this yet...
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#9HakuPosted 2/4/2013 4:40:37 AM(edited)
Nothing would change for me. I don't buy on the eshop now and I still would not if it had an account system. When they remove the stupid 18+ download window, then I'll think about spending on the eshop.
#10xellos667Posted 2/4/2013 4:46:24 AM
I would spend the same amount....A LOT. User account or not, I'm staying all digital. For an handheld, it's the best experience EVER!
---
My digital 3DS games collection and slow progression beating them:
http://backloggery.com/drac_mazoku