An idea for the next generation of DS

#1Val_6Posted 2/4/2013 2:39:41 AM
I have a feeling this won't be liked but... What if the next DS was part smartphone. The bottom screen ejects so that you can use it like any other smart phone or slide it into the bottom and use it like a DS. And they could make a non phone version so your not forced to pay 500 to 600 bucks.
#2JTC87Posted 2/4/2013 2:42:28 AM
Unfortunately hangheld consoles/phones have always failed in the past and will probably always fail.
#3Val_6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 3:05:38 AM
Video games have been doing very well on smart phones, so why wont a Nintendo branded smartphone/DS succeed? This is a perfect marriage I think because if they make this smart phone combo they could let 3rd party app designers draw in the casual crowd, while Nintendo could cater to the hard core crowd.
#4IHeartMetroidPosted 2/4/2013 3:10:12 AM
That's an awful idea.
#5n00bsaib0tPosted 2/4/2013 3:22:25 AM
It would almost be a good idea if it ran Android or iOS, thus letting you play any game you already had for those systems, as well as B/C with DS and 3DS. Imagine being able to play some of the great iOS and Android games with physical controls.

There are multiple reasons Nintendo wouldn't even consider it though, such as losing sales to people who fanboy the other OS (Android fanboys refusing to buy something running iOS and vice-versa), ease of hacking (jailbreak and root are stupid easy to achieve even on "unhackable" devices like the Kindle HD), and emulators completely negating the Virtual Console.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#6TeremeiPosted 2/4/2013 4:28:34 AM
I wouldn't mind an android phone or heck even an ipod touch that had real small buttons and dpad somewhere along the edges for my emulation purposes. But as far as Nintendo goes. They should make the next handheld 3D same as 3DS, but just up the technology. As console development prices rise, I envision the next 3DS (something with graphics inbetween Vita and WiiU) to be a major success with tons of support. It might be the last of it's kind though.
---
B2FC: 3268 4276 3305 last $$: Persona 4 Golden LE, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Harvest Moon ANB
Playing:
#7LonelyGoombaPosted 2/4/2013 6:04:27 AM
the smart phone market is entirely different, and is already over crowded.
it's not a impossible scenario, and considering the market it even seems likely.

but I don't think it will happen
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
Please check out my YT channel, even if you hate it, thats fine.
#8McMarblesPosted 2/4/2013 7:49:11 AM
Side talkin'? Side talkin'.
---
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.
#9J_CovPosted 2/4/2013 7:52:08 AM
HDS - Hi Def Screens