I agree that buying digitally isn't bad... not bad at all...

#190sRetroGamingPosted 2/4/2013 5:19:04 AM
Except for when you factor in the lack of actual user accounts and the full MSRP prices. i doubt most people would still buy physically if there were actual user accounts (buyer protection) and the prices of the digital copies were slashed by 50% on the eShop where games would cost no more than $14.99-$19.99 instead of $29.99-$39.99.

This is of course for those defending buying digitally over physically. i know i would go full digital as much as possible if these two simple things were actually implemented. those are the only actual problems as far as buying digitally from Nintendo goes.

Anyone else agree?.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#2LonelyGoombaPosted 2/4/2013 5:23:19 AM
buying digitally will never catch on as long as the prices are always always cheaper elsewhere.
I'm guessing Nintendo wanna stay in good terms with retail shops so they make the prices high for download
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
Please check out my YT channel, even if you hate it, thats fine.
#3IHeartMetroidPosted 2/4/2013 5:29:31 AM
With a digital download, I can't throw the games at random people if I get bored with them.

So no deal.
#4xellos667Posted 2/4/2013 5:30:09 AM
50%??? Yeah righ, like a case and a manual cost 20$ for them to make. Think more 1$ or 2$ (even more today, where almost all manual are 1-2 pages). At least put realistic number. Almost 99% of the price of a game, you're paying for the ACTUAL game, not the physical thing around it, so digital price will NEVER go that low, even less on release day.

As for the user account, you're right, it can be scary. But my 6 years old Wii still have all its game on it and works great. Except if you treat your 3DS badly, I don't see any reason why you should lose your game. I'm also pretty sure somewhere down the road, a user account will happen though. They will begin by making the one on Wii U not be linked to the console first, and then will apply that on the 3DS as well, like they're doing with Miiverse soon
---
My digital 3DS games collection and slow progression beating them:
http://backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#5iMURDAuPosted 2/4/2013 5:33:41 AM
Digital games at launch will be the same price as in a store. Its why I'm getting FE:A via eShop. I could have gone that route with New SMB 2 but I found it for under $32 online the other day.

Older games should have some discount though to spur eShop sales. Who in their right mind would pay $40 for a game you can find new for less just for the sake of convenience?
---
"I'm saying people outside GameFAQs didn't care when Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled." horror_spooky
#690sRetroGaming(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:39:23 AM(edited)
xellos667 posted...
50%??? Yeah righ, like a case and a manual cost 20$ for them to make. Think more 1$ or 2$ (even more today, where almost all manual are 1-2 pages). At least put realistic number. Almost 99% of the price of a game, you're paying for the ACTUAL game, not the physical thing around it, so digital price will NEVER go that low, even less on release day.

As for the user account, you're right, it can be scary. But my 6 years old Wii still have all its game on it and works great. Except if you treat your 3DS badly, I don't see any reason why you should lose your game. I'm also pretty sure somewhere down the road, a user account will happen though. They will begin by making the one on Wii U not be linked to the console first, and then will apply that on the 3DS as well, like they're doing with Miiverse soon

The eShop could offer occasional B1G1 50% off or B2G1 Free like retail occasionally offers. that could be competitive without pissing off retailers. things like that would attract more digital sales.

Or maybe offer 250 coins for each full MSRP game purchased?.
---
#7PokeMasterPosted 2/4/2013 5:41:45 AM
No idea about other regions, but JPN CN offers double points for all digital games, which easily lets you hit platinum.
(Plus there's heaps of retail games on the eShop)
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#890sRetroGaming(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:47:46 AM
PokeMaster posted...
No idea about other regions, but JPN CN offers double points for all digital games, which easily lets you hit platinum.
(Plus there's heaps of retail games on the eShop)

The only notable offers NOA has offered for full digital retail games from the eShop thus far has been the "Double Coins" promotion for NSMB2 and the free Donkey Kong: Original Edition with purchase of select games (Paper Mario, Professor Layton, Art Academy, Crosswords Plus and Style Savvy Trendsetters). that's it. both offers now expired.
---
#9stoney2005Posted 2/4/2013 7:23:05 AM
Buying digital is convenient, but has its disadvantages. My PSN account was recently banned and I lost all of my content I purchase from January 2008 till 2 weeks ago.

Sony refused to unban my account. They told me I violated TOS of SEN. Which was because i have a CFW but its a little unreasonable when you have spent hundreds of dollars on games and content not to mention being a subscriber of Qore and PS+ since they launched the services.

That being said you never have that problem with physical games.
---
Hmm a flag with the peace symbol on it. Your militant dictatorship can't have that, now can it Mario?
#1090sRetroGaming(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 7:30:17 AM
stoney2005 posted...
Buying digital is convenient, but has its disadvantages. My PSN account was recently banned and I lost all of my content I purchase from January 2008 till 2 weeks ago.

Sony refused to unban my account. They told me I violated TOS of SEN. Which was because i have a CFW but its a little unreasonable when you have spent hundreds of dollars on games and content not to mention being a subscriber of Qore and PS+ since they launched the services.

That being said you never have that problem with physical games.

Assuming "CFW" or whatever is hacking or modding software on devices i'll never have to worry about that since i'm not "tech savy" and admittedly would be afraid of hacking/modding any type of device. it's just not my thing.
---