Wish Nintendo would abandon dual screens!!!

#71n00bsaib0tPosted 2/5/2013 3:42:11 AM
Like Endgame would say playing KI:U and enjoying it is a placebo effect (which is probably something he would say since we all know how he feels about that game). That statement wouldn't make sense though.

Actually it can be. It's like wanting so badly for something to be worth the money that you make yourself think something is better than it is.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#72Shadow-AngelPosted 2/5/2013 4:21:51 AM
The one thing I want Nintendo to abandon, is the 3D. Useless gimmick that only serves to drain the battery and it causes migraines to some people.
---
The power you seek lies within you.
#73AmendythPosted 2/5/2013 4:31:34 AM
Shadow-Angel posted...
The one thing I want Nintendo to abandon, is the 3D. Useless gimmick that only serves to drain the battery and it causes migraines to some people.

3D giving you a headache? Use the slider.
#74Shadow-AngelPosted 2/5/2013 4:56:57 AM
Amendyth posted...
Shadow-Angel posted...

3D giving you a headache? Use the slider.

I'm not talking about myself, but I know some people with legit headaches from it.
---
The power you seek lies within you.
#75Tzuba12Posted 2/5/2013 5:32:50 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Like Endgame would say playing KI:U and enjoying it is a placebo effect (which is probably something he would say since we all know how he feels about that game). That statement wouldn't make sense though.

Actually it can be. It's like wanting so badly for something to be worth the money that you make yourself think something is better than it is.

That can be applied to just about everything, then.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#76Tzuba12Posted 2/5/2013 5:42:39 AM(edited)
Tzuba12 posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

That can be applied to just about everything, then.

Actually, the way I used it draws direct parallels to the medical definition. Thinking something is wrong, when there isn't, so trying to fix it by doing something and noticing a change (when there is none because there was nothing wrong in the first place). What you said isn't the same thing because while one thing can be proven, the other can't (telling someone that they don't actually like what they like, that's not something that someone else can tell you and that can be proven right or wrong). So no, its not the same thing.

Edit: Dammit, I quoted myself instead of editing the post. I need to go to sleep.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#77ilikepie641Posted 2/5/2013 6:03:58 AM
Endgame posted...
yes, Iwata killing off the Game Boy line was a dark day indeed

what has two screens led to other than stupid gimmicks, less battery life, and in my specific case, faulty hardware rendering the system unusable outside of a select few games? (my touch screen does not function and registers something constantly tapping it even though nothing is touching it, it cannot even function as an alarm clock any more, and yeah, I DID send it to Nintendo to get it fixed just for it to happen again) less screen clutter? most GB(C)(A) games managed just fine with one screen

I mean, let's look at the few good first party DS games that weren't remakes:

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: touch screens were not manditory outside of the intro, Pokétch (novelty features, only really useful for tracking down Mesprit and Cresselia) Super Contests/poffin making, and selecting pokémon to transfer from a GBA game, the last one especially being pointless as it could have just been done by D-pad and buttons, like everything else in the game

you can use them to select things in battle, but the traditional way works just as well

Mario Kart DS: tapping the screen switched between minimap (which could have just as easily been fitted into the top screen) and a rear view mirror mode (something we've been able to do without in previous Mario Karts, the minimap lets us know when someone's right behind us afterall), toggling between the two could have just as well been mapped to a button

see? they hardly used the damn thing!

what about mario party, metroid prime hunters, and the other 1st party ds games?
---
3DS Friend Code: 2294-3549-5852
Accounts: Twitter ilikepie641 / Deviantart ilikepie641 / Youtube ilikepieism / Skype iateilikepie641 / Facebook Novotic Cosmos
#78ilikepie641Posted 2/5/2013 6:06:23 AM
Touchscreen was used as a gameplay mechanic
---
3DS Friend Code: 2294-3549-5852
Accounts: Twitter ilikepie641 / Deviantart ilikepie641 / Youtube ilikepieism / Skype iateilikepie641 / Facebook Novotic Cosmos
#79Argh4430Posted 2/5/2013 12:10:38 PM
Sorry for the derail. I didn't think my comment about Skyward Sword would do this.

By the way, I wasn't talking about the sensor bar in my post. I had the first boss' gimmick in mind when I typed it up, as I was having trouble with him a few weeks ago. It was an issue of me having to learn about how to aim the sword correctly, and not just slash as fast as possible in a general direction. Also, I learned about the hint movies, and I got over him quickly. It was the only hang-up I had in the game, but it brought to my mind how the fight was hard not because of some gameplay aspect, but a control aspect.
---
NNID: Snyder78
3DS FC: 3695-1354-4936
#80EchidneysPosted 2/7/2013 12:17:25 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
I'm 28, I've owned every Nintendo portable plus the NGPC, PSP, Wonderswan, and Game Gear. I know all about how much the huds have had a tendency to eat screen space on small screens.

http://images.nintendolife.com/screenshots/22797/medium.jpg
http://alicia.mobile9.com/download/wmpreview/317/1243038623-1.gif
http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/mmproto.gif

Things got a little better on the GBA with the wider screen, but you specifically mention the Game Boy, and the game boy had terrible huds. Look at all the extra screen space on those games that is lost. On a hand held things are generally more zoomed in because of the screen size. Just look at these.

http://dorando.emuverse.com/images/rockman-and-forte_01.png
http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/m/megaman__bass-170521-1.jpeg

Even without a hud (just a life bar) Mega Man and Bass lost tons of screen space, creating multiple blind jumps and making the game about 10x harder than it was on the SNES. SMB3 in the SMA series had the same issue, although some of the platforms were adjusted making it a little better. SMB3 had a hud though, and it was completely redesigned to the classic mario style hud.

http://www.mariomayhem.com/reference/smb3_transform/smas-smb3_w1-2.png
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2003/gba/supermarioadv4/1017/mario_screen002.jpg

So some times you can make it work, some times you can't.

A lot of hand held games zoom things in to make them easier to see. Street Fighter Alpha was hindered in this by it's hud (unable to zoom without altering how far apart characters can be on screen). Mega Man and Zelda were both examples of games that were zoomed in significantly compared to their console counterparts, and part of the reason they take up so much more screen space than on the NES is because of the huds.

With the DS, you can zoom in a little more than before allowing for a better view of the game on the smaller screen and not clutter that view with a hud. A hud itself isn't clutter, but the smaller the screen is the less you want on it.

Alright, you make good points, the images helped in doing justice; I'd probably have to grasp to refute any of your claims anyway. I'm just saying the HUDs can be done right if the developer plans well. With all that's required to make a game, I'm sure that's not the most difficult thing to work around.
Now, I thought the NES and GBA remake both had the same HUD bar (with everything on the bottom)? I beat SMB3 on a Game Boy Micro, god how I miss that thing, and despite being about 5 years ago, I don't recall any cheap, HUD-related jump deaths... but being Mario, it probably had them.

But those Megaman games (sans the Gameboy one) didn't look like they'd hinder side-scrolling gameplay at all, especially with the life bar at the left side. That's probably one of the simplest HUDs any game could use: health and energy.

The dual screen has its uses, I just don't think they outweigh the progressive technical and graphical uses in reserve that Nintendo could employ without two screens. I think they indeed cause hardware limitations in what could really be a truly outstanding system. In a sense, I guess I'm saying I'd prefer one less screen to focus on the other aspects that could have more or less made it a "Super Game Boy." Like, "the Vita of Nintendo" (tech-wise).

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate dual screens--I'm used to them, I don't mind them, and I'm sure they're here to stay. Unless, with their next handheld, they might decide to revive the Game Boy name, which would actually be pretty cool.
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."