Question regarding SD cards and transfer speeds.

#1Eternal WeaponPosted 2/4/2013 4:05:42 PM
So I was looking at upgrading to a much larger SD card and was looking at cards of various sizes, classes and data transfer rates. Doing my research on cards I've found quite a few cards with insanely high Data transfer rates but that comes at additional cost.

The SanDisk SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I with a write speed of 90 MB/s and a read speed of 95 MB/s is the fastest card I'm finding with and it does come at a cost premium. Now, I'm willing to spend the money on performance, but the question is just how fast can the 3DS itself read and write data? If the bottleneck is the system itself there's no benefit to a card that fast. Does anyone know just how fast the 3DS can read and write to an SDHC?
---
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
XBL Gamertag ~ Dragarius
#2Eternal Weapon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:36:00 AM
bump
---
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
XBL Gamertag ~ Dragarius
#3mmarksterPosted 2/5/2013 1:07:23 AM
I have the Transcend 32GB SDHC UHS-1 Card. I see no noticeable difference between the 8GB Class 6 Transcend Card. Hey, you never know. Nintendo may update the system to support UHS-1.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
#4DogscratchPosted 2/5/2013 7:18:04 AM(edited)
I am using a 64GB SDXC UHS-1 45 Mbps card and it operates/loads exactly at the same speed as el crapo 4GB card that came with my system - it is either class 4 or 6.

So I wouldn't be concerned with read/write speed if you are just using for your 3ds, if it is double duty between 3DS and camera then you may consider going for the larger capacity.

Edit: fixed some stuff :D
---
Machine meat and Blood in an intimate relationship
The new superior more effective then all the preceding